Traction Control & TPMS Sensors

Flamethrower

Worcester, MA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
I'm going to lay it out plain and simple. I installed winter tires and wheels on my 2012 Civic EX. Since I did not put TPMS sensors in any of the wheels, I get those nice 2 lights that light up and the iMid yells at me. Here is my question. Is there a way to turn off the traction control since there are no TPMS sensors on the car? I was driving during very slick conditions and with it on I felt like I had less control of the car. Did not like one bit. I have tried starting the car and holding the button down for a few seconds before doing anything else. That has not worked. I have tried turning the power on, holding down the button for a few seconds and then turning the car on and that has not worked. Is this even possible?

Traction control cannot be turned off when the tpms warning light is on. The two systems are linked. The only way to turn traction control off is with the sensors on the wheels. The traction control is limiting the amount of power to the wheels.

traction1.png

traction2.png

I'm just guessing here till someone chimes in that might"know", but I wouldn't think the TPMS has anything to do with the TC . According to the manual the TC comes on when you start the car(no matter if it was on or off when you last turned the car off. So starting the car it will be on, and to turn it off you hold the button down for 4 min till you hear it beeb.... now it's off.

If it doesn't do it that way, I haven't a clue.

2nd image I posted above ^^ 2nd to the last paragraph on the right hand side of that image.

"If the low tire pressure/TPMS..."

Flamethrower ...... Aside from the fact that your TC won't turn off, I'm wondering why you would want it to be off driving in the snow, it seems to me that it would help? Although I have yet to drive mine in the snow yet. Oh I did read you said less control.... but?

I had my first experience with it in the light snow we had earlier in the year. It was horrible. I felt like i lost complete control and was going to crash. This is the first car I have had with this and I don't like it. Went to give it gas to get out of a slide and it was like the car powered down to nothing. I guess I just like to have power over the machines I use.

That may be true, but with TC and ABS how were you in a slide in the first place? I can't hardly drive my jeep patriot in the snow without TC, with TC it does just fine.

I was watching a tv show(velosity channel), and they were trying to get cars to slide and or roll but to no avail. Then with the TC off they could slide and roll at ease.

Something I heard from the Ridgeline forums a while back, was that some people wanted to air down their tires for sand (thus causing the light to illuminate and preventing traction control from being disabled), but also wanted to disable the traction control. The solution, unplug the fuse that controls the traction control, I haven't checked to see if it is possible on our civics. :think:

Something I heard from the Ridgeline forums a while back, was that some people wanted to air down their tires for sand (thus causing the light to illuminate and preventing traction control from being disabled), but also wanted to disable the traction control. The solution, unplug the fuse that controls the traction control, I haven't checked to see if it is possible on our civics. :think:
Have you tried to unplug the fuse yet? Please let me know if you have tried this and what happened.

Traction control cannot be turned off when the tpms warning light is on. The two systems are linked. The only way to turn traction control off is with the sensors on the wheels. The traction control is limiting the amount of power to the wheels.

traction1.png

traction2.png
So I got an alignment and got my car back the tpms light is on so I did the proces went to menu and customs setting to calibrate the tpms light on my 2015 Si when I click yes it goes away then pops up again the tpms light sign and also my traction control is off and can't turn it on also I have inderct sensors so I have no sensors just regular valves

So I got an alignment and got my car back the tpms light is on so I did the proces went to menu and customs setting to calibrate the tpms light on my 2015 Si when I click yes it goes away then pops up again the tpms light sign and also my traction control is off and can't turn it on also I have inderct sensors so I have no sensors just regular valves
Get your car to a Honda dealership, as you're under warranty.

shouldn't have anything to do with tread on tires. It's just calculating rotations in your situation since you don't have tpms in the tire.

I need some help in this are as well guys. I have 3 piece reverse dish wheels that I want to put TPMS in. The valve stem comes out at a 90 degree angle from behind the wheel face. Every place I have been to says they can't do it unless I run a "banded TPMS". Does anyone know of one that will work. Year 2013. Fb6

you will need to use the ford banded style sensors and mounting hardware. the blue ford tpms is 315mhz and should work. you will need to dismount the tires, install the tpms and have them programmed. Most tire shops should be able to take care of it.

Quick Google search brings up a company called Dill Air Control. P/N 5105 includes the sensor and hardware. Not sure where it can be bought though. Otherwise you can get Ford sensors and Dorman hardware from Amazon.

Back