Amazon, Mobil 1 & Valvoline Oil Compared

I stand corrected... the Ultra may be available at walmart.com for $71.16 for 3 of the 5qt. jugs. Delivery is free, sales tax? Maybe not.

Local WalMarts often carry only the regular Pennzoil Platinum... the Ultra is designed for "extreme performance".

I just need to clean them up a little bit. Also this weekend I need to readjust my coilovers.View attachment 59097
I noticed your firesHawks aren't 225, why would you not run that size instead of 215? and the load range is 91 sl. I put on 225 firehawks 94 XL-extra load these are bigger and hold more weight per tire and are stiffer tires and bigger by about .5 inch. I noticed a big difference over AS 215 93 xl tires. The extra load tires should make the tire last a bit longer and the tire is handles loading better. The 225 fit the Honda si very well and don't stick out. And also help more with potholes and ride a little smoother. 225 also fits 17 x7 rims. Let me know what you think of the firehawks, so far I think they are excellent.:party:

I noticed your firesHawks aren't 225, why would you not run that size instead of 215? and the load range is 91 sl. I put on 225 firehawks 94 XL-extra load these are bigger and hold more weight per tire and are stiffer tires and bigger by about .5 inch. I noticed a big difference over AS 215 93 xl tires. The extra load tires should make the tire last a bit longer and the tire is handles loading better. The 225 fit the Honda si very well and don't stick out. And also help more with potholes and ride a little smoother. 225 also fits 17 x7 rims. Let me know what you think of the firehawks, so far I think they are excellent.:party:
I wanted the 225 but they were unavailable and would have taken 5 days to get them so I settled with the 215 this time and I'll throw on the 225 next time at least I'll be able to give input on each lol.

Not sold on Ultra Platinum after I saw some people reported black particles in bottom of oil jug, i would also stick with 0-20 for slightly faster start ups in cold weather, I would use 05-20 in hot area's though not here in cold Maine. Platinum is also $8 more than napa Valvoline which I am sure is excellent oil too. I think the oil filter does matter a lot so here again napa is king with their wix platinum filter for $5 that's $22 for top quality oil changes. I stock up at price and have 2 1.25 jugs and three filters from napa in reserve. I just changed the oil and filter and added a magnetic oil drain plug. So back to oil thread:squirrel:

Not sold on Ultra Platinum after I saw some people reported black particles in bottom of oil jug, i would also stick with 0-20 for slightly faster start ups in cold weather, I would use 05-20 in hot area's though not here in cold Maine. Platinum is also $8 more than napa Valvoline which I am sure is excellent oil too. I think the oil filter does matter a lot so here again napa is king with their wix platinum filter for $5 that's $22 for top quality oil changes. I stock up at price and have 2 1.25 jugs and three filters from napa in reserve. I just changed the oil and filter and added a magnetic oil drain plug. So back to oil thread:squirrel:
I believe that it is just sediment from the additive they add in oil and the oil sitting for some time. but I could be wrong. @Bruce Bartlow can correct me on this.

I wanted the 225 but they were unavailable and would have taken 5 days to get them so I settled with the 215 this time and I'll throw on the 225 next time at least I'll be able to give input on each lol.

wouldn't you hit the wheel well any way with even 215, its only .5 inch wider not really that much, maybe fix that with the tire hitting the wheel well making room for the tire by pushing out a .5 inch. I could see than happening in a sharp tight turn with a big bump. I think the trade off leans to the bigger tire. You need to watch the load rating too 91 sl will make the tires squash more, you need really a load rating of 93xl or a 94 xl is a bit better. I have tried both 91sl and 94 xl-I like this better. :confuzzled::dancing::driving:

Years ago this group was discussing ASTM D-4172, the industry standard for an oil's performance under extreme pressure, otherwise known as the 4-ball wear test. Now we discuss insignificant differences in viscosity, insignificant differences in retail price or the insignificant "black particles" at the bottom of a jug...... like it's as spooky as black magic.

For the record, all the oils mentioned recently (M1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, RL, etc) offer almost identical protection in laboratory tests regardless of viscosity between 20 and 30. Sure there are differences in the aggregate (i.e., some are clearly better than others) but the differences are not due to changes of 10 SAE. (ISO would be different)

That's how far lubrication science has advanced.

One can only hope that a person's willingness to learn will advance as well.

visc_0.jpg

looks like a bunch of confusing hogwash with plenty of misleading rubbish a lot of it coming from amsoil-i don't believe their oil is any better than any other
no oil last as long as they are claiming mobil 1 as a example. a lab says 20,000, a working car say maybe 4,000 miles. seems like a marketing label coming from ulta pensoil -black specks in bottle-this cannot be good- maybe metal flecks on cyl walls-I don't mind spreading false rumors. Seeing how amsoil try's to put out false rumors all the time:excited: just use 0-20 whatever cheapest :shady:

To my surprise, many synthetic brands perform just as well at 5w-20 than at 10w-30. In fact, nobody was more surprised than I was, believing -- probably from near birth -- that "thicker is better" You know, the old "Viscosity Rules" mantra. After all, that's what our dad taught us.

Yet, that's an oversimplification. Modern lubricants are far more complicated than meets the eye:

For example, take the Reynold's Equation, which is defined as internal fluid friction... the friction, and heat -- caused from oil rubbing on itself. Sound insignificant? It's not. It's especially problematic at high RPM's, as you can see here, mathematically:

quicklatex.com-563c4e6785f71b2df14eaa623c4d94d9_l3.svg

Or if you want to punish yourself for not taking math (or a good laugh) :

https://www.tribonet.org/wiki/generalized-reynolds-equation/
I just put CBD oil in my car with coconut oil to add that sweet smell.

looks like a bunch of confusing hogwash with plenty of misleading rubbish a lot of it coming from amsoil-i don't believe their oil is any better than any other
no oil last as long as they are claiming mobil 1 as a example. a lab says 20,000, a working car say maybe 4,000 miles. seems like a marketing label coming from ulta pensoil -black specks in bottle-this cannot be good- maybe metal flecks on cyl walls-I don't mind spreading false rumors. Seeing how amsoil try's to put out false rumors all the time:excited: just use 0-20 whatever cheapest :shady:

taken from a super old post, but the links should still work. The mobil 1 10k interval samples were done with normal oil (not extended life).

===========================

what about the people running 10k miles or more and blackstone labs were saying the oil was fine - go another 2k+ miles or whatever and test again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039741
here is an 05 civic si with a 10k mile interval change on penzoil platinum.

another 10k mile interval
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710108
penzoil platinum

Mobil 1 5w20 9300 miles Honda Civic Si K20A3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818480&fpart=1

0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240214&page=1

taken from a super old post, but the links should still work. The mobil 1 10k interval samples were done with normal oil (not extended life).

===========================

what about the people running 10k miles or more and blackstone labs were saying the oil was fine - go another 2k+ miles or whatever and test again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2039741
here is an 05 civic si with a 10k mile interval change on penzoil platinum.

another 10k mile interval
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1710108
penzoil platinum

Mobil 1 5w20 9300 miles Honda Civic Si K20A3
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=818480&fpart=1

0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=240214&page=1

This is the point... the lubes are all so good these days. Better to change it more often than worry about the brand. Even then...so many oils are capable of 10k or more. Amazing. Thanks webmaster.

Back