14 civic hybrid led drl as 14 civic ex fog lights

D.Vargas88

If I install the led drl from the civic hybrid to the 14 civic ex. Can I use them as fog lights

Attachments

• $_35.JPG
    $_35.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 2013 Honda Civic Hybrid Exterior LED Running Lights.jpg
    2013 Honda Civic Hybrid Exterior LED Running Lights.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 73
The problem is that the lower grill area/bumper is shaped differently on the hybrid/non-hybrid models. No idea what it'd take to convert it.

I have a 14 ex sedan and it doesnt come with fog lights however it has the same shape as the hybrid led drl

Attachments

• 20141118_162307.jpg
    20141118_162307.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 71
My bad. I guess I should have asked what trim civic you owned.

@CollegeHillsHonda may be able to tell you the part cost, and how difficult wiring may be? I haven't seen anyone attempt this yet.

I'd wager you could use the hybrid steering wheel stalk or wire them independently to a push button on your dash. There is a diy in the lighting forum for wiring up independent (standard) fog lights to a push button.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Im used to the push button switch. As for the cost its like $130 per lamp and the wiring is cheap lol. Could the wiring be plug and play just like the R18 model?

Your not going to get as much output as a reg fog lamp, but I would still do it for the cool factor.

Its all about the cool factor :gah:
I mean they're not hid bright but it'll do the job lol and I haven't seen it done before.

Reactions: Nix
Your not going to get as much output as a reg fog lamp, but I would still do it for the cool factor.

Partially true. It depends on what kind of LEDs are install in the housing. Check out what the lumens the LED provides. I recall about 3000 lumens fog led is much brighter and crisp if not equivalent to halogen fog bulbs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UxACJNVt4

As far as wiring, it depends on the model. From most of the past years, I know for sure that Honda harnesses does have the fog lamp portions from the fuse box, usually needing a fuse, left toggle control switch, and fogs to complete the system. Now if you only have the fogs with no harness or switch. Its not entirely to hard to install a fog powering system, just will be tedious to find proper power to tap and wiring through the firewall can be a pain if you have not experienced it before.

I would get the oem harness and toggle switch to make it easier. Its just to find out if they would actually work as fog lights. That's the big question. I need to find a crashed 13-14 hybrid and take off the front and compare it to my car to see what's different.

I don't see them having a newer hybrid yet but these guys have been pretty responsive when I've ordered parts and called them.

http://www.ahparts.com

Just browse the yards cars. There is a tab at the top.

Hi Vargas, any luck on your project? I am embarking on similar idea with tail lights replacement as well. I have an EX-L (ME model) & it has already the oval shaped fog lights (don't like them)...I have to get the front grille replaced with an EX variant I guess. Let me know if you made it...post some pics!
Happy DIY!

Hi all, with great pleasure I would like to announce that my project Hybrid DRL on my EX-L was a dream that came true! I would say determination, efforts & lot of luck (& money of course) made it happen. Ordered the DRL light assembly from Amazon (genuine & hassle-free shopping plus excellent packaging, way to go Amazon!!!) I got the lower garnish from my local HONDA dealer since my EX-L was oval shaped (a mistake - not a direct fit).
Got note of an excellent workshop here who are nothing less than geeks when it comes to modelling. There was no bracket at the reverse side of the garnish but they stuck the DRL after cutting out the triangular section off the plastic & made it stick through custom made strips of steel. Innovation on the fly & voila, the result, nothing but bliss!!! I have uploaded pics....It looks like jewels...black is black!!! From the front grille you can make out it's an EX-L with hybrid DRL LED's.

Vargas..you inspired me buddy...as Nike says "Just do it"!!

I will be glad to assist anyone who needs any help in the same project.
DSC_0034.jpg DSC_0029_1.jpg DSC_0031.jpg

Back