2012 Civic Si Rev Hang - Software Update

Hey webby, I know what rev hang is cause its annoying as hell, but people mentioned that the update reduced rev hang but completely fixed rev overrun... So rev overrun is something completely different no? Sorry if I'm missing something here, I'm on my phone

Is this software update included in the factory warranty? or is there a charge?

Hey webby, I know what rev hang is cause its annoying as hell, but people mentioned that the update reduced rev hang but completely fixed rev overrun... So rev overrun is something completely different no? Sorry if I'm missing something here, I'm on my phone
I'm not sure where you're seeing rev overrun? I'm guessing they were meaning the same thing as rev hang though.

Is this software update included in the factory warranty? or is there a charge?
no charge for them to do it, yet it may take going there for an oil change or some service to get a tech to hook your car up to the MVCI tester.

This sounds like more of a personal preference rather than an actual "problem". I find the rev to be very acceptable and even necessary.
Not that anyone was asking for my opinion, but there it is in all it's glory.

***** I\'m fabulous.gif

funny-dog-pictures-this-hat-is-fabulous-on-me.jpg

I looked over this thread again an you're right, it doesn't mention rev overrun, i took another look, the OP for the thread for the same issue on the 9thgencvic forum was the one who said rev hang and rev overrun, my mistake, I'll try asking him there, thanks anyway, you guys are so fast with the responses :) I just wanted to know cause I'm going toy local Honda tomorrow for the third time for this issue lol

i got mine done today. if anyone in the nyc area is wondering where to go, i went to Bay Ridge Honda in Brooklyn.

i got mine done today. if anyone in the nyc area is wondering where to go, i went to Bay Ridge Honda in Brooklyn.
thanks for providing dealer info. That's helpful for those who are local :thumbsup:

Is it just me or are there other Si owners that are not experiencing the rev hang thing? After seeing this post, I looked for it and didn't really notice it too much. I bought my Si last November.

Is it just me or are there other Si owners that are not experiencing the rev hang thing? After seeing this post, I looked for it and didn't really notice it too much. I bought my Si last November.
I personally believe this problem is one of perception and/or personal preference.
I know when I first bought my 8th generation Civic Si, I noticed the rev hang but thought it was just the way the car was created. I got used to it and it never bothered me. Others would complain about it and Honda addressed it with a software update.
Now we're on the 9th generation and the rev hang is definitely more tame than before, but again some people either aren't used to it, don't like it, or both. It simply doesn't bother me one bit and I never even notice it.

The only reason Honda is addressing it again is because of complaints that people don't like it. But in the end, the rev hang is normal and not something that is "wrong" with your car.

I took my Si into the dealer for its first oil change on Saturday. On Friday I emailed my Service Advisor about the issue, asking whether he knew anything about the software update and whether it would be possible to plug in the MVCI during the visit and check. He said he knew nothing about it, couldn't find anything about it in ISIS, etc. but that he would be happy to hook it up to the computer and see what happens.

Unfortunately, after the service was completed he told me that they plugged in the MVCI and nothing came up. I wasn't watching them do the work or anything, but he seemed genuinely curious about it himself, so I have no reason to believe that they were just blowing me off. He said if he heard anything about an update in the future he would let me know.

I guess the update hasn't made it around to my dealership yet? (Honda of Burleson, TX) I bought the car in April, production no. 3084. Guess I'll give it another shot in three months.

I personally believe this problem is one of perception and/or personal preference.
I know when I first bought my 8th generation Civic Si, I noticed the rev hang but thought it was just the way the car was created. I got used to it and it never bothered me. Others would complain about it and Honda addressed it with a software update.
Now we're on the 9th generation and the rev hang is definitely more tame than before, but again some people either aren't used to it, don't like it, or both. It simply doesn't bother me one bit and I never even notice it.

The only reason Honda is addressing it again is because of complaints that people don't like it. But in the end, the rev hang is normal and not something that is "wrong" with your car.
It's definitely not my perception jasonandre. On my Si when I take my foot of the gas pedal and push in the clutch at approx. 4k rpm the revs hangs at 4k rpm for 2 or 3 seconds. The engine should drop as soon as I take my foot off the gas. It sound like I'm "riding" the clutch when I shift gears. This car is drive by wire so for some reason the little motor that's controlling the throttle body is not reacting quickly enough to my foot input on the pedal. I would say that's a problem, at least in my mind it is.

I recognize that the rev does hang that long, I'm just referring to perception. It doesn't bother me one bit, so I don't perceive it to be a problem for me.

I recognize that the rev does hang that long, I'm just referring to perception. It doesn't bother me one bit, so I don't perceive it to be a problem for me.
I hear ya jasonandre and I'm glad it doesn't bother you. I bugs the sh*t outta me and continues to be the one thing about this car that does so I'm hoping that when Honda Canada gets their act together, new updated software will make it better.

what did u tell the honda maintenance to check?? i called in and told them how i heard about a software update with the rev hang. they were useless, they asked for vin and looked it up (which i can do for myself) and said there were no recalls

You should have driven the 8th gen when they were first released. You would have loooved the rev hang. And by that, I mean hate.

what did u tell the honda maintenance to check?? i called in and told them how i heard about a software update with the rev hang. they were useless, they asked for vin and looked it up (which i can do for myself) and said there were no recalls

your profile says your from georgia? :confused: why would u even want to go to bay ridge honda in ny? lol but all you have to do is call them and make an appointment, when they ask you whats wrong with your car, just tell them you have a lot of rev/throttle hang and overrun. when you actually bring it in to them, tell the guy at the counter the same thing, mention to them that you did some research and know of an update to the pgm-fi. give him the the info on the update from this thread. after that i just sat in the waiting area until a tech took a look at my car and plugged it in.

i did this, i'm taking my car in friday.
the guy said he saw no service bulletins, no software updates, nothing when he looked on the honda information database.
he told me to bring it in and plug it in and see what it says on friday.

i did this, i'm taking my car in friday.
the guy said he saw no service bulletins, no software updates, nothing when he looked on the honda information database.
he told me to bring it in and plug it in and see what it says on friday.

they need to plug it in. cause there are no bulletins, i dont think any dealership was notified of the available update. just gotta find a way to get the tech to plug it in and then youre golden from there.

Back