2013 Honda Civic Redesign Info Discussed

the 2012 isnt a bad car.. even consumer reports never said it was.... it just doesnt stand out.. its over average at everything... i just ordered a EX from the dealer... its alot more car for just a few more dollars than the LX which was tested by most reviewers, moonroof, alloys, 4 disc brakes, 6 speaker sound and since i live in canada, i can got a manual tranny... and honestly as a consumer, honda getting trashed has only made it better for me, 1.9% financing and cash back... and the car looks so much better with foglights and a rear deck spoiler, which should be stardard issue with an EX.... and im sure very soon there will be aftermarket front/tail lights on eBay soon enough... :)

it's not a bad car at all. Enjoy your new car... as you said, the ex has a lot of great features.

thanks webby, but ill have to enjoy my faithful 2001 until my 2012 arrives.... ive gotten almost 200,000kms on her.... even the original clutch... all ive done to her is a couple front wheel bearings and about 3 brake jobs in 11 years.... how many cars have a track record like that? yes the focus is a better looking car, yes the elantra gets 1mile to the gallon better... but dependabiity is huge for a person planning to keep her for 10 or more years.... ;)

Looks are subjective...
As for the 1mpg better.. Hyundai is currently being investigated for stretching the truth on mpg claims (for the elantra). I guess too many filed complaint they weren't getting close to claims. We'll see,..

elantra mpg investigation

Organization claims a high number of drivers are unable to come close to mileage estimates

Most drivers know that when they buy a vehicle the estimates for fuel economy on the window stickers are just estimates. In the real world, driving the fuel economy can be much different. There has been more than the typical number of complaints about the fuel economy that Hyundai is claiming for its new Elantra.

Hyundai is claiming that the Elantra gets 29 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway for an combined rated of 33 mpg. The problem is that according to the higher than usual number of complaints about the efficiency of the Elantra, the real world mileage is in the mid-20 mpg range. Drivers that purchased the vehicle based in large part on the efficiency claims are understandably upset by the real world figures.

Consumer Watchdog is asking the EPA to investigate the mileage claims for the Elantra. The letter sent to the EPA read in part:

A notable exception to this rule has caught the attention of Consumer Watchdog. For the two most recent model years, Hyundai Motors has actively marketed its base models of the Elantra on their very high 29/40 MPG, and 33 MPG average, leaving a trail of disappointed drivers. An Edmunds online Town Hall discussion on the Elantra attracted scores of drivers who can't, no matter how hard they try, duplicate such numbers. One very public example of this was USA Today tech writer Jefferson Graham, whose Sept. 22 article on his new Elantra expressed his disappointment that he averaged only 22 MPG, a gap that no "break-in" period seems likely to fill.

Consumer Watchdog also pointed out that while automotive publication Motor Trend named the 2012 Elantra a Car of the Year contender, the fuel economy it achieved in testing was only 26.5 mpg. That number was poor enough compared to estimates for Motor Trend to mention it in the review. The consumer organization is asking the EPA to retest the Elantra and if it finds the estimates Hyundai is giving aren't accurate to impose a fine on the automaker to compensate drivers.

hahaha ya... honestly id be keeping my 2001 DX if it had remote power locks and bluetooth/cruise control/stereo controls built into the steering wheel... this is honestly my first vehicle im planning on keeping the stock stereo in.. well other than take my 2000watt amp and 12" dvc sub out of my 2001 civic.. there goes half my trunk space.... i love how i can charge my celphone and plug in my USB thumbdrive into the dongle in the armrest... altho i guess you must have been able to do that in the 8th gen too....

2009+ civics have the USB port. That was the mid cycle refresh for the 8th generation.

4 items mentioned for redesign in this article:
1) restyle the car’s front end
I'm going to assume this doesn't mean sheet metal changes, but possibly new headlight pattern or even LED type upgrade
2) restyle the car's rear end
Again, I just really don't see them changing the body style that much. In other interviews and articles, Honda people have maintained *THIS IS THE HONDA CIVIC FOR THIS GENERATION*
3) make its interior more plush and luxurious
New cloth, maybe some different plastics
4) boost its fuel economy in hopes of reaching 40 miles per gallon in highway driving
I might be missing something...but aside from ECU changes how could they achieve another 5 mpg highway in a year...

I'm sort of skeptical as to how in depth these changes will be. I see interior plastic upgrades, new cloth pattern, maybe bring back alloys for the ex? New headlights to make it look sexier at night...those are things I see changing. Everything else is wishful thinking, imo

1-2. - they could do new front and rear bumpers without altering sheetmetal of the hood/quarters/..or frame
4. it's rated 39mpg highway currently, so it's just a 1mpg increase. Ecu changes - modifying vtec engagement, or the econ mode could most likely achieve that.

if they do something to the headlights, I'd be surprised...but we all like surprises

bring back the alloys for the LX dont you Ian? I just ordered an EX here in canada, it comes with factory 16 inch alloys and a manual tranny.. i did hear concern for only automatics available in the US tho.....

you can't get the EX-L trim in a manual (coupe or sedan)

you can't get the EX-L trim in a manual (coupe or sedan)

i dont know webby, according to www.honda.com there is no option for a manual, only an automatic for the EX... and of course the EX-L... and i have heard some bad reports of this on online reviews... of course im talking about the sedan.. i never price out or look at coupes.. so maybe the EX coupe you can.... ? but as far as rear and front lights go.. aftermarket all the way... honda has always had very conservative lighting in my opinion.. :)

correction -
coupes
EX without nav - auto or manual
EX with navigation - only autos
EX-L with or without nav - only autos
---

sedans
LX - auto or manual
EX - with or without nav - only auto
EX-L - with or without nav - only auto

good catch

Honda should also make some changes to the engine.
Add DI to all Civic models and 6sp auto. 160 and 230hp for reg and Si respectively sounds good IMO.

"American Honda President Tetsuo Iwamura stated that the automaker will "improve the Civic's drivability," meaning a slight suspension and driveline tuning could be in store, as well."

There should be a Civic GT of sorts. Basically the SI, in sedan or coupe, but with an auto or DSG or the "performance" CVT. I know a lot of people that would buy an SI for the extra power and sport, but either don't know how to drive a stick or don't want one for a daily driver. This is why I say call it GT or EX-S or something, not SI because SI's are manual only and have always been that way and should continue like that.

I would like to see a 6 speed auto and manual across the board, LED taillights, improved interior materials, 17" wheels on EX models, 18" on SI's standard, the interior tech seen in the new CR-V like Pandora radio, a sportier look for the sedan, 155 HP base, 220 HP SI, hit 40 MPG highway just to be with other cars in the class and that's about it. Maybe more watts for the sound system?? The 2012 is not a bad base by any stretch of the imagination with it being smooth, refined and quiet.....just a little bland. Add more of the classic Civic frisky nature too and it's fine.

DI isn't a be all or end all with it as much as them giving it 6 speeds across the board.....but I won't complain if it gets it. :)

Back