2013 Si Sedan HID foglight install Modifications Needed

austin1636

Gresham
Vehicle Model
civic si
Body Style
sedan
I am just sharing these pictures as a guide/if anyone else runs into this problem or is curious about installing HID's into there foglights! This isnt meant to be DIY more of just my experience and what happend while i installed them! thanks

heres the pics

taking the bumper off i see thers a lot of room for an intercooler or aftercooler back there;)
DSC_0095_zps3bfcec3b.jpg

Once i got the fog light off the front bumper and took the plastic housing off. I installed the new HID bulb and ran into this problem
DSC_0099_zps552f1566.jpg

the stock bulb doesnt stick out as far so there isnt a space issue. The new bulb wires stick out making the fog light not fit back into the plastic housing
DSC_0100_zpscd45e70d.jpg

DSC_0101_zps34f17365.jpg

the Obvious solution(i didnt want to force it there and make the wires bend in an ungodly fashion) was to trim/ cut the back of the housing to let the wires protrude out of the back end

to do this i just used a drill and drilled holes out. after that just cut it out with wire cutters and then filed it down with a file to smooth it all over

DSC_0105_zps73a53a2e.jpg

DSC_0104_zps0c41dbb7.jpg
DSC_0102_zpsecbf88f7.jpg

This plastic is really really hard so it doesnt really mess with the structure of the housing... didnt really make a difference at all.

Before i installed the fog light back into the housing i used some electrical tape to put around the edges just to insure they wouldnt harm the wires at all

DSC_0106_zpsedd1cbf2.jpg

I mounted the ballast here so it was out of the way and not loose
(hard to see since its all black but it is on the black frame that the bumper support beam is bolted to.)

DSC_0107_zpsee8b6f34.jpg
DSC_0108_zps9079a954.jpg

after wiring them up i taped all the wires together with electrical tape to keep them together(i didnt have zip ties) and that kept them from being lose and moving around( i also taped them together to the stock wiring so they will just be right where the stock wiring is)

here are a couple after shots of the 3k HID in the 2013 si sedan
DSC_0112_zps63d8f4d7.jpg

DSC_0114_zps9b6bae7f.jpg

These fogs are MILES ahead of the 8th gen in comparison IMO and i am happy with them.

Again this isnt a DIY and also isnt some crazy information but just a visual for anyone who may be unsure how to do there fogs/ what problems they may have..... I am someone who like a visual on what i am going to be looking at so i figured id share my experience!

-Austin

Last edited:
Very interesting. I just realized you have a 2013 si sedan. I know we have a handful of people with 2012's & hid bulbs in their fogs, and I've not seen this brought up before. I see the 2013 si sedan foglight setup is definitely different from the 12's.

12.png

12's ^

13's below
13.png

I foresee a lot of additional users running into this. Thanks for snapping some pics

Very interesting. I just realized you have a 2013 si sedan. I know we have a handful of people with 2012's & hid bulbs in their fogs, and I've not seen this brought up before. I see the 2013 si sedan foglight setup is definitely different from the 12's.

View attachment 14523

12's ^

13's below
View attachment 14524

I foresee a lot of additional users running into this. Thanks for snapping some pics

yea the 13' foglight is different completely (uses H8 and i believe the 12' uses H11?)
the shape and everything is different! idk what the backside housing looks like on the 12 though :think:

1687_10200871193561853_1945152088_n.jpg

webby
I am sure they will once everyone starts messing with HID in there fogs (13') i was surprised i didnt see it since ive been in some of the fog light threads but it isnt a huge issue and must not be with the 12.

no problem btw im glad i did. i wasnt sure if this had been posted before but figured id take note of it:)

Last edited:
Thank you Austin!! I also have a 2013 sedan. i just bought a HID kit. With your guide, i think i can do it.

i ran into the problem where the ballast clip fgoin to the car clip of the fog light dont match up and dont clip any suggestions

i ran into the problem where the ballast clip fgoin to the car clip of the fog light dont match up and dont clip any suggestions

There are conversion harnesses available. What connector type is the ballast?

Any idea how wide the stock housing is? Like measuring the width of the clear lens to the foglight...

When I pull my bumper this weekend to install my UAE lights I will get some measurements.

A harness makes it so much easier and just gives you peace of mind...

I ran 55w HIDs in a 95 Accord with factory wiring for years with no issues

Damn! Lol I'm only running 35W ballast and I have no issues with flickering, one turning on before the other, or anything at all..... Just takes them about 5 seconds to warm up...(which they are cheap HID so I'm not surprised). I might buy a harness for them just purely for the quality of having the power ran to them from the battery but I have no issues....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I installed my low beam hid's last night and well it was a really tight squeeze getting the hands into place to put the bulbs in, but got it done and move to the fog lights and got them all takes out but came across the same problem with the bracket not fitting the new bulbs, going to have to trim that back piece like you did austin1636, ima try and get it on a lift and just remove the lower splash shield instead of the whole bumper, ill let you know how it works out, fingers crossed

well no luck getting the splash sheild off, i just trimmed the bracket through the fog light hole, and installed the hid kit by mounting the ballast on top of the bracket , there was a nice flat spot , i used 3m adhesive double sided tape , should hold it nicely, but it turned out pretty good,over a hour long job, but if feels good to be done

Back