2014 Civic EX Gas Mileage

From the MPG numbers that people regularly state on here, that's what seems to be the case. In the real world the K24 seems to get rougly the same mileage as the R18. But the K24 requires premium gas, so it still ends up being more expensive.

Your mileage will get a bit better once the engine breaks in, but it isn't gonna double in efficiency or anything either. You'l probly average 4 or 5 higher in the city after 10k miles

Personally, I've stopped stressing about it after seeing over 40mpg on my iMid a few times. I may not have the ULTIMATE fuel efficiency car, but I'm still in the "good" MPG range. My fill ups are half as expensive they were on my old car, and I fill up half as often. It's all good

We've done 79 fills (26k miles+), 78 with 87 octane (remember this is the minimum, by law - it could be higher) only 1 was "Premium" 91 (on a trip and 91 was only 10 cents more per gallon). Noticed absolutely no difference in performance or mileage. In my opinion the '12 Si runs fine on regular - there are a number of others on this site who disagree. In the Berkshires 91 is routinely 20% higher (60 - 80 cents per gallon) than regular. I've almost saved enough to purchase a Flashpro!

premium is 80 cents a gallon more than regular? whaaa.

Another point that should be addressed, is the city averages claimed on car stickers is what's allowed by law. It isn't the car companies that are lying to the public, it's the antiquated EPA test requirements that set the standard that need to be updated to match todays driving conditions.

A quick Google search only shows an average of a 16¢ difference for the Berkshires area.
Was your quick search the same as mine? http://www.ohmygas.com/gas-station/Shell-173-North-St-Cheshire-MA-01225/4751
It does say 13.9 however Premium is listed as $3.779 - I just paid $2.819 at that station on 12-4-14.
Another Google hit http://www.motortrend.com/gas_prices/33/massachusetts/berkshire/pittsfield/
For stations selling both 87 and 91/93 octane the delta is 48 cents (17%) Shell to 81 cents (31%) Food Bag(???)
My local Shell where I buy gas zip 01225 is $2.699 for 87 and $3.339 for Premium 64 cents per gallon (24%)

Last edited:
Another point that should be addressed, is the city averages claimed on car stickers is what's allowed by law. It isn't the car companies that are lying to the public, it's the antiquated EPA test requirements that set the standard that need to be updated to match todays driving conditions.
Probably the way we drive but we average slightly better than the Federal highway mpg for our last 3 cars '89 Probe (36mpg) , '98 civic (36 mpg), '12 Si )33 mpg) - all hand (actually Excel) calculated .
We're in a rural area with lots of short .5 to 5 mile trips.

I have a concern regarding my MPG on my Civic. The sticker for this vehicle says an AVERAGE of 30 MPG in the city and so far in my 650 miles since purchasing the car brand new, I have not seen ANYTHING above 22.8 miles per gallon. This is very concerning and upsetting to me as one of my main reasons for getting thing car was for the great fuel economy. I'm still going to give it time as maybe the engine isn't fully broken in yet, but I just wanted to get thoughts from other Civic owners on what they are seeing. Do I have a TAD of a heavy foot, yes, but to not even be seeing 25 is a disgrace to me right now.

If your in a area with cold weather expect the crap gas mileage. Had the same issue last year when I bought my 13 in October. Was getting miserable numbers then in the spring/summer it got a lot better. Was averaging around 10-12L/100km which is garbage. Had it down to 7-8L/100km on average but got as good as 5.6L/100km

Probably the way we drive but we average slightly better than the Federal highway mpg for our last 3 cars '89 Probe (36mpg) , '98 civic (36 mpg), '12 Si )33 mpg) - all hand (actually Excel) calculated .
We're in a rural area with lots of short .5 to 5 mile trips.
Exactly...... That's the problem with the EPA standard, the highway miles are always the same, but the cities keep adding stop lights(that aren't synced by the way, in most cities, some exceptions). That's where the EPA needs to revise the city standard.
The car company does the test drive according to multi year old EPA blue print, so it comes out with an unfair reading to slap on the mileage sticker, for todays cities.
A good example is they go to a city like the one I live in, and I can match the sticker around here, but if I tried to do the same in on one of the larger cities near me it's not going to happen.

Exactly...... That's the problem with the EPA standard, the highway miles are always the same, but the cities keep adding stop lights(that aren't synced by the way, in most cities, some exceptions). That's where the EPA needs to revise the city standard.
The car company does the test drive according to multi year old EPA blue print, so it comes out with an unfair reading to slap on the mileage sticker, for todays cities.
A good example is they go to a city like the one I live in, and I can match the sticker around here, but if I tried to do the same in on one of the larger cities near me it's not going to happen.

BTW the numbers I mentioned - '89 Probe (36mpg) , '98 civic (36 mpg), '12 Si (33 mpg) - are the combined (all miles driven). The worst full tank run for the Si was 29.7 (once in winter near zero all intown, once on road trip in Florida with full-time AC and running 9 over to 79 mph). Best was 37.7 road trip and kept it at +4 mph to 65 in moderate hiway traffic (except for the traffic jam over the GW Bridge).

Back