3rd Gear Grind

I just did a datalog drive for my tune and on the way back (flashed to stock) I grinded 3rd twice. :pat: When I end up grinding a gear it is 3rd 99% of the time. I don't know what it is about it, probably driver error but it is pretty much always 3rd that it happens in.

My 2007 Si was also shy about going into 3rd gear. I never knew it was an issue with many of them. My 2012 Si is way better.

I've been having this same problem! it only happens to me in 3rd gear. I feel it is driver error but sometimes I just dont see how it is. It's very aggervating sometimes though. I hate hearing that sound haha.

Driver error for sure when I bought my 8th gen it shift like butter even with my 2013 si now too.

im pretty sure its driver error. it happened to me yesterday. but my friend drives it. never happens.

driver error for sure

im pretty sure its driver error. it happened to me yesterday. but my friend drives it. never happens.

driver error for sure
now that you got it sorted out try your best to not do it.

my friends 8th used to grind into 2nd on him all the time so I got in it with him one day to see. It grinded when he drove, I then drove it with no grinds and this was at 8600 hard shifts.

the conclusion was he was letting off the clutch too early, he was letting off once the gate was halfway between neutral and second.

in short just make sure you time the clutch release to when you're actually in gear and not almost in gear.

I've actually already had that problem fixed recently. I have a 2012 sedan SI with 35,500 miles and they replaced the 3rd gear synchro and they also ended up replacing the speed sensor for the speedometer because it wasn't reading right after I replaced it. All done through warranty went to the dealer and the problem was solved.

I've actually already had that problem fixed recently. I have a 2012 sedan SI with 35,500 miles and they replaced the 3rd gear synchro and they also ended up replacing the speed sensor for the speedometer because it wasn't reading right after I replaced it. All done through warranty went to the dealer and the problem was solved.

Did you take it into the dealer specifically for 3rd gear grind? Did they take it for a test drive to see what it was like or? I'd love to hear more. This is the first 9th I've heard this on

I took it in specifically for the third gear grinding because it was definitely grinding clutch all the way in weather I was going slow or fast I took it to the dealer
did they give you a hard time or just started tearing into the transmission?

man... this sucks.

One of the main reasons I looked into the forum. That occasionally like 3-4 times if I get the r's up then engage the clutch letting it drop for an easy shift, I see a rpm hang then it grinds.
I just push in the clutch & let the rpm go down to 2000 or so then shift.

I have been driving standard shift since I was about seven years old. Degree in mechanics, worked in custom shops, raced trucks.
I was wondering WTF???
First time I thought... I missed a gear? Then I paid attention after the second time.
Not operator error, clutch was fully engaged. about 1000 miles so far on '13 si

i fixed it. by being lazy. i wait a couple of seconds before i move the shifter into gear.

im gonna do the cdv delete in the spring and start driving like a racecar driver soon

Back