52mm Gauges Installation

igor gojkovic

Hello,

I am installing the water temp gauge and the boost gauge on my 2012 Honda Civic Si. I will be getting a supercharger this summer once I save more money for it. Right now I want to connect my boost gauge to the vacuum hose so that the dial moves when I drive the car. Can someone please tell me where the vacuum hose is located on our vehicles. I know its one of the hose that's attached to the intake manifold around the throttle body but I don't know exactly which one it is. Can someone please tell me exactly where its located?

Thank you

lfkxTeO.jpg

image from the 8th gen si

lfkxTeO.jpg

image from the 8th gen si
Ok webby, I will try that hose. I have an aftermarket CAI and that hose is connected to the CAI tube but I suppose that I could use that to make the dial move for now until I get the supercharger and hook it up to the PSI hose down the line. I was thinking of doing this but now that you point it out, i might as well make my life easy and connect it to that tube. Thank you!

I just use a OBDII adapter and torque app that gives everything from water temp to vacuum with est hp/tq air/fuel mix, the whole 9. If you wanna tap into a vacuum line your probably looking to go behind the TB where the vacuum is actually being created. That hose in the picture is a vent line that I don't think will give accurate vacuum readings (assuming, but the brake booster is connected to after the TB to give ample vacuum). The brake booster line is another place you could T into to get a vacuum reading.

It could be hooked up on a bunch of lines, but if he just "wants his gauge to move", I figured it didn't really matter. It's not like it's going to provide useful info.

Your right webby, it would make the gauge move but if he want's an actual vacuum reading I believe that line works of a venturi effect that doesn't produce a strong vacuum. Vacuum is created by the TB being closed as the pistons move down during the intake stroke. Idle being the most vacuum and WOT being almost zero. If the line was before that then the actual vacuum would be skewed as the airflow past the hole is what creates the venturi or light vacuum and the only difference would be air speed over the hole. Bad explanation but general idea

again, it's not showing supercharger "boost" though...so it's not really doing anything useful until he gets the sc.

Usefulness correct is absolutely zero, only a show piece at this point but accuracy (if it matters to him) will be different that's all. With the SC you have to do it from one of the runners or after the SC impellers to get anything useful/accurate so the plumbing will be different yet a third time.

Main point like you say @webby not useful there for no real reason for it. 100% agree

Torque app is not on iPhone. Is there anything people use that is comparable? What adapter do you use? This could save me a ton of money on gauges
I don't know that anything does things exactly like it, but there are some other things available for iphones. You still need an OBD-II Adapter.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engine-link-obd-ii-vehicle/id591557194?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fourstroke/id946722526?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iquad-by-quadzilla/id404644624?mt=8

android thread, but still some helpful info
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/15-temp-gauge.6149/

It could be hooked up on a bunch of lines, but if he just "wants his gauge to move", I figured it didn't really matter. It's not like it's going to provide useful info.

That's true Webby. The only issue with the hose that you pointed to is that the T fitting that came with the gauges, will not fit on the valve cover vent hose. That hose is pretty large in diameter and I cannot fit the T fitting on there. I tried going to a hardware store to get some connectors but they did not have one that large that will fit on the T fitting provided with the gauges. I looked at the hose lines around the TB and they all are smaller in diameter than the valve cover vent hose. I believe that the T fitting will fit on those hose because they appear to be the size of the T fitting. Just to make my life easier, it would be better to connect it to one of those hose so I can use the T fitting that was provided with the gauges. There is about 3 different hoses around the TB. Which one should I tap into to get the gauge to move and perhaps, get an accurate reading?

I have attached two pictures of that area. There are two hoses that you can see on the picture, and I believe that there is one more hose under the TB. Do you guys think it would be best to tap into the hose that goes directly over the TB? It appears to be the smaller of the two that you can see in the picture and the T fitting should fit on there perfectly.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 28
  • engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    643.7 KB · Views: 25
I just use a OBDII adapter and torque app that gives everything from water temp to vacuum with est hp/tq air/fuel mix, the whole 9. If you wanna tap into a vacuum line your probably looking to go behind the TB where the vacuum is actually being created. That hose in the picture is a vent line that I don't think will give accurate vacuum readings (assuming, but the brake booster is connected to after the TB to give ample vacuum). The brake booster line is another place you could T into to get a vacuum reading.

I have my 52mm gauges placed around the shifter (i'll post pictures later to show you) and they look really cool where I placed them. So I want them to work so I don't have to look at my phone or tablet for those reading. Honestly, I put the gauges there more for looks so that they would look cool because I found a nice spot for them. I don't have them attached to the pillar like everyone else, they are sitting in the tray in front of the shifter. So I just want the boost gauge to move for now until I get the supercharger on my car this summer and will use the boost gauge for the PSI readings. I hate the fact that our cars don't have the water temp gauge so I had to put one in because I like to know the temperature of the engine. I have that hooked up and it works perfectly. Now I want the boost gauge to show vacuum for now, and would like it to be accurate if possible. If not, then as long as it moves that works for now. So I will just stick with the gauges I purchased because I really like how they look in the car, especially because I have them placed in a nice location. In my opinion, it looks really nice and I am very satisfied as long as I can get the boost gauge to work now....

Use the hose that's coming out of the center of your intake manifold, your best bet would be the hose for the brake booster IMO as you wont mess with any evap lines to cause CEL that way. I think that hose is for the brake booster but any hose after the TB would work for accuracy. Don't tap into the coolant lines that run through the TB underneath it.

Use the hose that's coming out of the center of your intake manifold, your best bet would be the hose for the brake booster IMO as you wont mess with any evap lines to cause CEL that way. I think that hose is for the brake booster but any hose after the TB would work for accuracy. Don't tap into the coolant lines that run through the TB underneath it.
Sounds good. I will try that hose thats coming out of the middle. Thank you so much for your help! Once I get it done, I'll let you guys know how that worked.

Back