Airbag Light comes on

brown_bear

Reston, Virginia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
As the title states, my airbag light comes on when im driving at times and stays on until I turn off my car, keep in mind i'm alone when it happens and sometimes when I have my wife in the car as well, any ideas as to what it is? going to the dealer on friday but figured one of my fellow 9thcivic ppl knows what might be the issue It's this light:
air-bag-light-nissan.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure there is, i even checked my VIN on the recall site and shows my car isn't affected, never had an issue in my 07 FA5...Kinda disappointed that im already having minor issues when you would expect Honda to have great reliable cars.

I get the passenger one going off when my 15 year old daughter is in the car. On longer trips she leans on the door and the passenger side airbag off light will go on. It seems very sensitive to someone not sitting exactly upright in the seat.

Agreed. It's a safety feature for sure when someone isn't sitting upright. .

The problem of it going off when no one is in the seat is another issue that I would get checked out though.

The passenger's advanced front airbag system has weight sensors in the seat.
If the sensors detect the weight of an object in the passenger seat (up to about 65 lbs or 29 kg), the system will automatically turn off the passenger's front airbag.

Last edited:
I have had the airbag light come on with just a 2 liter in the passenger seat. The sensor is on the side of the seat and if it senses anything in front of it it will turn off the airbag. I have actually just lightly pressed on the side of the passenger seat (closest to door) and the light turns on.

well my thing is that it comes on at random when no one is with me, which is odd...like last night i was leaving for work, not even out of my apt complex and the light comes on, "Please Check Airbag System". I know when i take my step son in the front seat after picking him up from school the pass. airbag lights on which i know is standard.

well my thing is that it comes on at random when no one is with me, which is odd...like last night i was leaving for work, not even out of my apt complex and the light comes on, "Please Check Airbag System". I know when i take my step son in the front seat after picking him up from school the pass. airbag lights on which i know is standard.
But are you putting any other object in the seat? A backpack, water bottles, etc? Any object in the passenger seat has the potential to trigger the sensor.
If you don't have anything in the passenger seat when it is triggered, then the sensor is malfunctioning.

But are you putting any other object in the seat? A backpack, water bottles, etc? Any object in the passenger seat has the potential to trigger the sensor.
If you don't have anything in the passenger seat when it is triggered, then the sensor is malfunctioning.
nope, nothing on my seat...if i ever do have things in my seat its mostly likely my keys, phone or snacks i take to work. This morning on my way back home it didn't come on, and i had my phone, an orange, bottle of water.

Sounds like it is time to visit your local dealership.

Per the manual:
When the ignition switch is turned to ON, the indicator comes on for a few seconds, then goes off. This tells you the system is working properly.
If the indicator comes on at any other time, or does not come on at all, have the system checked by a dealer as soon as possible. If you don't, your airbags and seat belt tensioners may not work properly when they are needed.

Last edited:
Are you sure that no one was with you? Have you ever watch "The Grudge"? Maybe it's not the problem with your car...

lol...^^

if nothing is on the seat, take it to honda to have it checked as jason mentioned above.

thanks for the replies everyone, just figured we had a honda god in here who knew the problem lol.....

Back