Anyone upgraded their rearview mirror to auto-dim / homelink?

RHelton10

Atlanta, GA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
One of the things I miss from my TL that isn't in my Civic is the Homelink buttons for the garage door, and I have to admit not having an auto-dim mirror is a little annoying.

I'm seeing some Gentex mirrors online for reasonable prices and I'd assume this is a pretty basic install; could probably even use the dome lights as a power source (I did this before to power a radar detector with no issues).

Has anyone attempted this? If so, is it pretty straightforward, or are there roadblocks that I'm not seeing?

Just wanted to provide an update; I ordered a Gentex model genk40/41 mirror with Homelink and auto dim. Installation was rather easy; I removed the map light lens covers and then removed the 2 bolts that allowed the entire map light assembly to be lowered. I then found a constant power lead off the dome light harness and a ground off the moonroof harness. The only wire I had to run was a switched ignition power lead that I routed through the headliner, past the A-pillar cover (I didn't actually remove the A-pillar or the visor mount, I just popped the top out of the A-pillar cover to allow me to run the wire through) and then down alongside the left dash/door seal (I pulled the seal so I could get the wire into the groove and then put the seal back) and then connected it using a fuse tap to fuse #23. The mirror came with a 3 wire harness (ground, switched power, constant power), the wire cover to hide the distance from the headliner to the mirror mount, and the mirror easily slipped over the windshield's wedge mount and is secured by tightening a hex screw to the wedge. I'm VERY happy with the results; it's nice to have my garage door opener look OEM again and driving at night (even with my tinted windows) will be much nicer with the auto dimming mirror.

I did the install, just been too lazy to take and upload pictures ;)

I got it for less than $100 on eBay, and it came with the wiring harness and the clip that hides the wire from the mirror to the headliner. Details of the install are higher up in this thread.

I did the install, just been too lazy to take and upload pictures ;)

I got it for less than $100 on eBay, and it came with the wiring harness and the clip that hides the wire from the mirror to the headliner. Details of the install are higher up in this thread.
but the homelink and compass functionality both work?

i like that WITH the temp but where do you run the thermometer?

i thought i remembered seeing a way to add the temp to the imid on an lx and just searched for it quick but i couldnt find it

Back