DIY Applying 3M Paint Defender (Full Details)

Take a work light and shine directly on the seam at bumper quarter panel. If it looks better, it may just be a matter of getting a coat of wax on the bumper.

I did put paint sealant before putting the bumper on the car. Im pretty sure that the coating didn't cure correctly. When I washed my car last weekend, the soap caused an odd bad reaction to the coating which didn't happen to the hood.

Dar-dar are u spraying too light of a coat? I run out of a can just doing half the hood. I do about 6 - 7 coats. My first go round I did 1 can for the front bumper and front edge of the hood and when I came time to peel it off to redo it was a pain. Came off like torn seran wrap. A thick coat comes off in one sheet. Also an easy way to get it off if u decided to is take a power washer to it and work the edges off.

I pretty much follow 3M's instructions which is 3 coats. 2 horizontal and 1 vertical.

I love the result on the hood. But the rear bumper disappoints me. Lol. I'll redo that when the 3M 'expires'.

y4epeqes.jpg

I washed my car last Saturday and the Paint Defender has a chemical reaction with car soap. I was using Turtle Wax car soap and it was leaving too many noticeable streaks and spots on the film. It was a very opaque look. The streaks seemed permanent and didn't want to come off at all. So I peeled off the film.

I guess the paint defender isn't good for one whole year.

I don't think there's a way to fix it. :/

Bummer... In any rate I am calling Honda tomorrow. I understand chips happen but the sheer number that I have after owning the car for 5 weeks is pathetic.....
i did the same with honda america. got nowhere.

Just blue from GRFXP. Lol. It reflects a brighter color from the flash.

Back