Broken Rocker arm spring...

Michael Perez

Miami, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So about 6 days ago my car went into limp mode. Turned it off and started it again and it stopped limp mode however I noticed a weird exhaust note at idle I thought it might be a vaccum leak. A few days after this my dash lit up like a christmas tree and was throwing codes like Check VSA and emissions and power steering. At this point I made an appointment to take my car in. This morning they told me that I have no compression in my 1st cylinder and one of the only way this happens (the only way they have seen it) is when the car is overrevved by downshifting if that was the case they said that the valve floated and hit the piston. They tore apart my motor under warranty and checked to see if there was a mark on the piston and if that was the case it is not covered and I have to paid out of pocket. Turns out that they found a broken rocker arm spring on the 1st cylinder and they are covering it under warranty because it was most like a factory defect. Now I was issued a rental for the next 4 days because they have to order the part then install it. I'm still confused as to how this happened as I have never overrevved my car. But hopefully everything will stay okay.

A few people have also had failures of the vtec piston on the valvetrain of cyl 4. So your not completely alone. Probably a bad batch of parts from the factory or it wasnt put together right on the assembly line.

I didn't know these motors had issues like these but I guess it is just a bad batch maybe

My 2012 Si Coupe broke a rocker arm. My dealership insisted that I also over-revved, I told them NO! Plus, Honda can plug in to your computer and see if you ever over-revved and at how many miles it happened on. They covered my repair under warranty and I had a rental car too… a Honda Fit "Sport"… needless to say there is nothing sporty about it and I was more than happy to climb back into an Si. LOL Good luck with your repairs! Also, tell the dealership that you want pictures of the damage and keep it. Just in case you have to use the lemon law!

Anybody know of a TSB? Knowing which factory or VIN range affected would be nice

No tsb issued as of yet. jasonandre usually pulls the list

wow after reading that thread I had no Idea it was this common I too noticed a loss in power but thought passively about it.

Just happened to me a couple weeks ago at 6200 miles. Cylinder 4 and I ended up getting a new head under warranty. I hope it's a bad batch and not going to happen again.

Back