Camaro abused by dealer -Best Chevrolet in Easley, SC

It's back online, and he made another video as well. He set it to private because the dealership owner wanted to work on some deal. Now he says the dealership is threatening to sue.

Owner Bob Hogan just threatned to sue me. After making a good faith effort to get this resolved by making this private last night after speaking with him. We arranged to meet today and him by the car. He called from a fishing boat and wanted me to wait till Friday because he was on a business trip. Typical Corporate type.

Hahahaha. Sue? This story is all over the Chevy forums and web. The dealership is lucky word hasn't gotten out to "blitz" them with phone calls and spam

Hahahaha. Sue?
sadly, the more attention it gets, the worse it could be for the guy. SC law states he's committed two felony charges. The "disclosing recordings" part - putting it on YT could land him with decent fines.

Criminal penalties: Illegally recording an in-person conversation or electronic communication is a felony offense. S.C. Code Ann. § 17-30-20.
Civil suits: Anyone whose wire, oral or electronic communication has been recorded or disclosed in violation of the law can bring a civil suit to recover the greater of actual damages, $500 a day for each day of violation or $25,000, punitive damages, attorney’s fees, court costs and other relief a judge deems appropriate. S.C. Code Ann. § 17-30-135.

Disclosing recordings: Disclosing the contents of a wire, oral or electronic communication obtained through illegal recording is a felony. S.C. Code Ann. § 17-30-20.

I wonder if some argument could be made that the car is his private property and as such he is entitled to be aware of the activities taking place with and in his private property when he isnt present.

I would think an argument could be made that these laws were intended to prevent strangers from violating others' privacy. In this case this man was protecting his personal property from being vandalized. Clearly, anyone can see the difference.

based on the recording, assuming it would be admissible in court, no jury would fault him for deciding to record activities in his car

Yea, don't see how this case would fly...also, let's not forget that if this constitutes illegal behavior, then that would render all dashcams illegal since they operate in the same fashion.

for his sake, I hope things go in his favor

Nah, it's totally his fault. If he hadn't had such a fun car the mechanics wouldn't have wanted to take it for a ride. Just like if I build sweet jumps for bikes in my backyard. The neighbor kids wouldn't have gotten hurt trying to break in if I didn't put such fun stuff back there. Right?

annnd howww about that!
==
"A car of that style needs to be driven hard to test for the problem he stated. It is a high performance car and is not likely to be damaged in such a way," the dealership said in a statement.
==

yet the car was in the shop for a problem he described to be happening while driving slow in a parking lot. :rolleyes:

Ken - better not take you car in for service. "It needs to be driven hard"

My mechanic won't even take mine out - even after I told him to. He pulls it into a work bay then parks it back in the parking spot. Of course I haven't had any issues that require someone to take a "test drive."

that's comforting...but if they did have to, it'd be great if you could co-ride

My mechanic won't even take mine out - even after I told him to. He pulls it into a work bay then parks it back in the parking spot. Of course I haven't had any issues that require someone to take a "test drive."

I was gonna say, just wait till you have to take it in cause the parking brake is loose or something, theyll have to take it out on the highway up to 120 to check

Anytime I take something in, CAR/MC, to be worked on by "ppl"(mechanics are just ppl), I really don't have a problem with them finding and fixing, even though being ppl a percentage of them can mess up, it happens. But purposely going out in a car and burning rubber, and clutches, jamming gears(being an ex-semi (OTR) driver, believe me when I say, there is a large number of ppl that can't shift properly, and the scarery part is, they think they can. There are semi drivers that might not jam the gears but still can't shift with out rolling the sleeper....... so I get rolled, big deal........... but along with that they're putting way to much action on the drive train, and that's not good carrying that kind of weight, so driving a car doesn't have the wt. but there's no reason to not make all the transitions smoothly, we should be matching the rpm's of the drive train, not letting the clutch and synchronizers be do most of the work.
The part I don't like is the .... small-stuff/other-stuff .... Say I take the car in where they have to remove plastics(dash,etc). Well, they fix the problem and leave fasteners off the plastics, or scatch stuff with their tools, I could go on, but it bowls down to they aren't working their car they're working on mine............ We can bi.ch till dooms-day and it won't change. That's why I miss the days when I could stand there in sight and watch them work on my stuff, and when they took it for a test ride they'd take me with them, or ride with me will I test drove it........ Now they claim the insurance won't allow us in there.... Actually I'm sure it's more for not distracting the work force....... (Why not say so).
But it sure won't hurt them to let use ride with them on check rides(not that I'd want to ride passenger on my bike).

I was gonna say, just wait till you have to take it in cause the parking brake is loose or something, theyll have to take it out on the highway up to 120 to check

Taking it on a highway up to 120 wouldn't bother me at all. I would drive it like that every time - if I knew I could get away with it. An all out burnout would piss me off. I don't even do that to it.

I trust my personal mechanic - absolutely.

I also use a local dealer on occasion, who I do trust, although not like my mechanic. The owner of that dealership owns two Z06-C6 vettes, and I've met/talked with him. So I believe he would be as incensed as me if one of his techs did something stupid in mine. However, I do still wonder whenever I have to leave it with them.

You never know... unless you record it on video. :hiding:

Back