Check Engine - Check emission system

Marc-André

Montreal
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
Sedan
Hi everybody, I just installed a short ram intake in my civic SI 2013. I installed it 3 days ago and everything was fine, but today I was rolling on the boulevard and suddenly a check engine lit up. It says ''check emission system''. I looked around on the google and found it could be the gas cap that was loose but I checked it and its fine. I also found that it could mean that the gas mix is too lean. I dont wanna take it to the dealer cause then I would have to put back the original intake in cause its still garanteed. What can I do? Is it because I installed the intake? And if it is, why didnt it came up right away, why 3 days later? If I reset my computer by unplugging the battery could it kill it? Any help would be appreciated

Hi everybody, I just installed a short ram intake in my civic SI 2013. I installed it 3 days ago and everything was fine, but today I was rolling on the boulevard and suddenly a check engine lit up. It says ''check emission system''. I looked around on the google and found it could be the gas cap that was loose but I checked it and its fine. I also found that it could mean that the gas mix is too lean. I dont wanna take it to the dealer cause then I would have to put back the original intake in cause its still garanteed. What can I do? Is it because I installed the intake? And if it is, why didnt it came up right away, why 3 days later? If I reset my computer by unplugging the battery could it kill it? Any help would be appreciated

You can try to do an ECU reset by unplugging the battery for 15 minutes, but I imagine since it took 3 days for the CEL to come on that the ECU already compensated. What intake did you put on? If it was a PRL 3.5" SRI, you will need to use FlashPro to tune the car. Otherwise, you could have a wire or sensor not plugged in/secured properly.

You could always get a cheap OBD scanner to see exactly what the error is.

I unplugged my battery and now the CEL is gone now. But I did it 3 days ago just after I installed the Short ram and the CEL came up after 3 days, its weird... the intake I installed is like a no name I bought on ebay, but its exactly the same as the K&N one. I checked all the hose and sensors and everythong seems just fine. I'll let you guys know if it comes up again. thx

I have a similar situation. I have an injen CAI installed for 2+ years and a P2R TBS I installed a few weeks ago. I was having tighten fuel cap messages on and off for a week now followed by intermittent check emissions systems. I bought an actron u-scan OBD scanner that has a cell phone app. When I checked the fault code I get code

P0172 - Bank 1 system too rich

I believe this is saying that the first O2 sensor is reading not enough oxygen in the exhaust. I'm still trying to figure out the exact cause but I'm leaving towards improper tune with the mods. The funny thing is the car is driving better than ever before. Throttle response is up, mpg is up 2-4mpg.

Are you having any performance changes? I would get a scanner and check the code that will tell you where to start looking.

Yeah it feels like the throttle response is up since I installed the intake, I dont have any problems at all, no malfunction. And the check emission system somehow appeared three days after i installed the intake and not right away. Ive done a reset of the computer today by unplugging ther battery and the check engine light is gone now. I hope it stays this way. If it comes back i'll get a scanner to know exactly what is it

The check engine came back on today, I went to the garage to have it plugged in and it says that the gas mix is to rich. the guy told me it came from the intake sensor and the throttle body sensor. He told me to make sure all the hoses and sensors were tight and he made the check engine go away. So I came back home and tighten all the clamps and screws on the intake. I dont know what else to do but im not sure that the check engine will not come back, if anyone has an idea of what i should do please let me know. Thx everybody

I know it's more work but instead of just tightening everything, you could try taking the whole intake apart and put it back together, that way you're more thorough. You could also try cleaning your maf sensor.

Most likely it will come back. Maybe someone else will chime in with an Si. I would say you might need a tune to balance out the increased air flow

ok, thx guys, ill just wait and see if it comes back. I took out the maf sensor and just blew some air on it before I tighten all the hoses and screws, I dont know how else could i clean it. If it comes back again Ill try taking the whole intake apart and put it back in again. That kinda piss me off cause its just a stupid short ram intake. Its the first mod i make on the engine and already i have problems... I think if its to much trouble ill just put the original intake back in and forget about the mods... anyway thx again guys!

yeah but I dont know a thing about how to do this. And the check engine is back again now for the third time. Ill probably go to a tune shop to have it done

Trust me when I say this, Flashpro and a Vit tune is worth its weight in gold. Otherwise all of your bolt-ons are only there to look and sound cool.

I just got a P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) code...is this the O2 Sensor going bad from the Skunk2 downpipe? I have a tune but the check engine light came on today and hasn't come off yet...any thoughts? I tried to attach a datalog but the forum isn't letting me for some reason

Under your calibration > sensors > o2 active ? checked/unchecked?

Back