Coilovers vs springs/struts

^ pro kit. I was just showing you more pictures of the same springs

Go with springs my man, Skunk2 lowering springs are absolutely the truth. I know you said not any lower that 1-1.5" but this is 2.5" front and 2" rear and is stancy as hell. Daily driver too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 81
Go with springs my man, Skunk2 lowering springs are absolutely the truth. I know you said not any lower that 1-1.5" but this is 2.5" front and 2" rear and is stancy as hell. Daily driver too.
Hell yeah. Lol glad to hear you dont regret it. I would like to drop that low I just dont know how id feel in the long run about it. How long have you had them? Did you use the stock struts with them?

If you go that low you will need a camber kit too. Not sure how shocks hold up at that level. ? Maybe the same as the moderate drop on Pro Lines, maybe not.

Question might be out of place but was watching pro civic's video on the D2 coils and it said they have camber adjustment. Do all coils have this? Does that mean I don't need front camber arms?

Question might be out of place but was watching pro civic's video on the D2 coils and it said they have camber adjustment. Do all coils have this? Does that mean I don't need front camber arms?

No.....only certain coilovers/companies have this.

Also, just to clarify, the fronts are not camber arms like the rears. Fronts use a camber bolt.

So I would still need camber arms for the front w D2s?

I think Nomar was saying that not all coils have them. The D2's do have camber plates on top, so you can adjust the cambar.
In theory you won't need camber bolts, unless you're trying to achieve super hella flush swag stance like this:
Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 9.19.59 PM.png

I believe D2 springs lower the car like 2 in. Lowering that much it would be recommended/requires a camber bolt set up front and camber arms in the back. D2 coilovers have camber plates up top, so no need for any camber bolts up front but still need camber arms in the rear.

Hope this helps......

^front camber should still be very close to zero on those springs. Fronts don't seem to change much

^front camber should still be very close to zero on those springs. Fronts don't seem to change much

Guess I am still on the mentality from the 8thgen civics where pretty much any drop over 1.5 in needed "something" to adjust the camber back to stock due to the drop.

Ok, going to try to set some things straight. The front doesn't gain camber as it compresses like the rear does. For the front you use camber bolts to adjust camber. And you don't need any unless you're wanting to add more camber. The rear gains camber as you lower. What you are ok with is your preference. Lowering around 1 inch your going to be outside factory tolerance, but not much. The more you lower the more negative camber the rear gains. 2 inches or more you will have so much camber that it will start affecting tire wear. I'm on Eibach sportline (1.8 front. 1.5 rear) and my rear is sitting at or just under - 2 degrees camber. Which to me, I'm fine with. It's not going to accelerate tire wear dramatically.

As for coilovers vs springs and struts. It's pretty much the same thing. Coilovers are just a pre matched spring and strut combo with adjustable spring perches, and sometimes camber and valving. Some will ride good, some decent, and some crap. That's with either springs or coilovers.

As far as springs are concerned. Springs will accelerate the wear on your stock struts. They will be operating in a constantly compresses state due to being lower and be under greater stress due to higher spring rates. Even with this they could still last you years, or months. There's no way of knowing. Keep in mind that the strut from coilovers will eventually wear out too, just like your stock ones. I've heard of some eBay coilovers sets not even lasting a year. And others, a lifetime. Again there's no way to know.

As for your situation, if you have rough roads but still want a decent drop, I also recommend Eibach pro kit. A 1.5 inch drop will be more noticeable than it sounds, and more noticeable than it looks in pictures. I love the drop my sportlines give, but it will tell you that it rides rough. If I had to do it again I'd probably get the pro kit myself. Also I've heard good things about H&R springs. Hopefully this clears some things up.

Back