Deal on 2014 Si Sedan w/Nav

stylez23

Went to dealer yesterday to check out if they can sell me a new Si since they did not have the one I wanted. They had just received a blue 4 door w/nav, but I am looking for a black 4 door w/nav.

They quoted me a price of flat $25k before taxes. I may be able to get it for $24.5k by using the college graduate rebate IF AND ONLY IF the car is taken before June 2 (date the deal expires according to Honda). The sales person cannot guarantee this price because he doesn't know if the car will be available before that.

Is this the best I can get on a car they will be put on order (either the price before or after the college rebate)? I feel that it isn't given that this is our 4th honda purchased (06 pilot, 07 civic, 13 fit) for our family. His best he can do for our loyalty was taking $280 off MSRP for a "low availability/new/hot" car.

I've heard that the cost of the freight and PDI is usually the rough amount that you have to bargain with. Not that you can get away from paying the freight and PDI but the same dollar amount (here in Canada that is). A $280 discount doesn't sound like much to me but then again US and Canadian pricing is different. I'm not sure where you live @stylez23.
Sounds like your dealership is trying to bully you into paying what they want. You have to be willing to walk away to show them that you are not a pushover.

Thanks Johnny really appreciate the input.. I'm located in NJ.

I'm a bit hesitant because of the fact we've bought a few cars most at prices that were fairly good… Just happens this pricing didn't seem THAT good. Such a shame because this is the same guy that we've dealt with for the previous 3 cars and had a good relationship with. We've probably brought them at least 4-5 customers because of their quality of service.

If I have to walk away I will, relationship or not.

Keeping in mind that I am in NJ where tax is 7%, is it unreasonable to try and shoot for 26k (or below) OTD?

I'm also from north if the border so it may be a bit different up here but I agree with @johnnyrotten. It doesn't seem like that much of a discount that he's giving you especially since you've been going there for so long.

From past experience I find that dealerships seem to be more willing to bargain on cars they have in stock. I've been told by dealers in the past that the cost would be higher if they had to order the car in or they wouldn't be able to discount as much.

If possible try another dealer to see what they can do for you even if it's just to compare. If it's less go back to the original dealer to see if he can match. The very least you'll know if he's telling you the truth or not.

Good luck!

Several things here:

The grad program is going on through September 30, 2014, not June. That program gives you $500 towards the down payment of the car, contingent that you finance the vehicle through Honda Financial. Another one of the qualifications is that you also put a down payment of at least 5%.
Honda is currently offering 0.9% financing for a 1-3 year loan and 1.9% for a 4-5 year loan. If you qualify for the grad program, you also qualify for this special. The special financing is currently being offered through May 12, 2014. Read more about the grad program here: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/college-grad-program

Anything above MSRP is an insult and you should walk away immediately if that's the case. Dealerships typically charge a "processing charge" that can range wildly, so make sure to find out if the price quoted to you includes that charge or not. Destination and handling is $790, so ask if that's included as well. Assuming the $25k quote includes all that and the grad program, then you're being offered MSRP.
Price around with other dealers to see if they will budge on MSRP. I received a quote $1000 less than MSRP for the 14 Si, although being a repeat customer probably helped me achieve that.

Dealers can "special order" any configuration you want, although it's not as though they are having Honda build one to your specs. Instead, they can simply look at the available stock coming through the assembly line at that time and determine when that specific build will be made. Once you agree to a price, they can then assign that car to their inventory to ensure it arrives at their location instead of somewhere else. Then it's just a matter of waiting for the official delivery date. That's what I did.
Build time is usually one week with delivery taking anywhere from 2-4 weeks on average.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

@andre12dbsi, yes the fact that the car is not available within the tri-state area is the reasoning behind the price according to the salesperson.

@jasonandre, thanks for all that information… most I knew. Thanks for the link on the college grad rebate, I saw it a day before but not that one and it said June 2nd.. seems like they updated it. I will most definitely bring this up to him to show him that. As far as financing I should be able to get the 1.9 on the 5 year loan.

Looks like I will be shopping around. Appreciate all the input guys!

I'm also from north if the border so it may be a bit different up here but I agree with @johnnyrotten. It doesn't seem like that much of a discount that he's giving you especially since you've been going there for so long.

From past experience I find that dealerships seem to be more willing to bargain on cars they have in stock. I've been told by dealers in the past that the cost would be higher if they had to order the car in or they wouldn't be able to discount as much.

If possible try another dealer to see what they can do for you even if it's just to compare. If it's less go back to the original dealer to see if he can match. The very least you'll know if he's telling you the truth or not.

Good luck!
I've ordered a 2014 Civic Si Coupe from my Honda dealer and they didn't have my car in stock. There aren't a lot of the new Civics in stock yet especially if you want a specific colour but you shouldn't have to pay any more for a car that they dealership has to bring in. Now, I have a good relationship with the sales person and I bought my 2012 Civic Si from her as well so that goes a long way when purchasing a new car. @stylez23 said that he has purchased a few cars from this salesperson so I'd be going back to this guy/gal and asking WTF??!!
They made less than $500 dollars profit on my new car but they will probably make their money on the 2012 I traded in and I can accept that. You have to realize that they do have to pay the employees and keep the lights on as they say.
Having said that, I can't imagine the dealers think that people are going to just walk in and pay the asking price. The other bargaining tool you can use is getting options thrown in or paying a lot less than the asking price. I got Honda rubber mats thrown in on my car.

@andre12dbsi, yes the fact that the car is not available within the tri-state area is the reasoning behind the price according to the salesperson.
Looks like I will be shopping around. Appreciate all the input guys!
Who cares if the car you want isn't available @stylez23. You make a deal, you give them a deposit to show that you're serious and then you wait for the car to come in. A sale is a sale is a sale. Don't fall for that "you must pay more because we have to order the car" BS!!
I'd be giving them one more chance and then moving on.......

hello @stylze23, I'm also located in NJ. Northern NJ to be specific. I just made a deal for a '14 Si Sedan(no navi)in Red last saturday and will be picking it up tomorrow. Here is the price I got. $24,200 otd. base price is $21,641 plus $311 registration, $249 doc fees, 7% tax and $449 protection package(wheel lock, splash guard and trunk tray). they made me purchase the $449 protection package so they can price match the $21,641 base price I got from another dealership who sent me an internet price via email(i didn't even go to this dealer).

the dealership where I got the deal was actually an hour drive from me but I thought it was worth it because they have the car in stock and the color I wanted plus they give free oil change and car wash as long as I own the car. I also think it is the best deal from all the dealership I went to. $24,200 otd with protection package(although I don't really need it) and still without the $500 off from the college program. so my total will be $23,800 otd.

I've been to 4 dealerships before the last one where I had the deal. 2 of the dealerships didn't even give me a price because they didnt have the car in stock and they actually wanted sticker price. 2 dealerships gave me these prices: $24,100 otd including $500 off college program and $24,000 otd without the $500 off. But both of this dealers didn't have the car or the color I wanted though.

where are you located in NJ, I might be able to help you.
apologies for the long post but I hope this helps.

@big dad I think you may have went to the dealership I went to, they told me that had gotten a red si without nav and sold as soon as it came in (Honda Tenafly?)

Let me know if that's the dealer, it'll be interesting if I can bring that up. Appreciate it!

Quick update: I was able to negotiate the price of $23,639 ($1641 under MSRP) so with taxes, licensing, and fees comes out to just a bit under $26k OTD. How did I do?

It sucks I won't be able to use college grad rebate because since I graduated May 15, 2012... They do not think they car will be delivered by then (obviously) so I would no longer qualify since I fall outside the 2 year window. Can anyone verify this?

Also since the car needs to be ordered, the dealer did not give me a specific timeline when it would come in. They said could be 3 weeks could be 6 weeks, but it is on order. Is this typical? Should I get some sort of order # soon? I also put down a $100 refundable deposit so they can mark the car as 'pre-sold' in their system.

They usually try to find one in the area that matches your order. They can commonly dealer trade, or snag one that is intended for another dealership if it matches your order. If it cannot be found, or currently in production....it'll be made to order.

Thanks for the input @webby

Quick question maybe someone might know... I just saw the exact car I wanted listed at a dealer 90 miles away. Would it make sense to ask the dealer I worked with if they can trade or cancel my deposit and go straight to the other dealer?

Quick update: I was able to negotiate the price of $23,639 ($1641 under MSRP) so with taxes, licensing, and fees comes out to just a bit under $26k OTD. How did I do?
Sound about right, although I don't know what the percentage of taxes are for your state.
Also since the car needs to be ordered, the dealer did not give me a specific timeline when it would come in. They said could be 3 weeks could be 6 weeks, but it is on order. Is this typical? Should I get some sort of order # soon? I also put down a $100 refundable deposit so they can mark the car as 'pre-sold' in their system.
Like I mentioned earlier, it's at least a week for the build and up to an additional four weeks for delivery. They probably won't be able to track its progress until a VIN is issued.[/quote]
Quick question maybe someone might know... I just saw the exact car I wanted listed at a dealer 90 miles away. Would it make sense to ask the dealer I worked with if they can trade or cancel my deposit and go straight to the other dealer?
Unless there is some sort of partnership with the other dealer, they usually won't swap cars. And even if they did, it would probably cost you more money to have them ship it over. The choice is really yours at to whether or not you want to work with the other dealership. Give them a call and see what they say.

^ that, but he may loose his deposit if the dealership does non-refundable deposits

Update 2: I went to look at a few other colors at other dealers just to see what they looked like against the new Si interior. I must say the white sedan looks great. I also saw black sedan, which I liked but not as much as the white.

I called my dealer that I had put a deposit in to ask about white if they could instead locate that one, and it so happens that it's already part of the current dealer's allotment arriving next week. I'll be going to the dealer on Friday to meet with Finance and complete the remaining paperwork. If all goes well I should be a new Si owner next week.

Can't thank all you guys for your input here. Really informative.

Update 2: I went to look at a few other colors at other dealers just to see what they looked like against the new Si interior. I must say the white sedan looks great. I also saw black sedan, which I liked but not as much as the white.

I called my dealer that I had put a deposit in to ask about white if they could instead locate that one, and it so happens that it's already part of the current dealer's allotment arriving next week. I'll be going to the dealer on Friday to meet with Finance and complete the remaining paperwork. If all goes well I should be a new Si owner next week.

Can't thank all you guys for your input here. Really informative.
Can I be the first one to say congratulations @stylez23! :domokundance:

Bit of an update… its been a week. The white one that came in had no nav, so obviously I was not happy… salesman said don't worry we're expecting one to come in before the end of the month, I will verify that we have it on order sometime next week (this was last week).

Fast forward, I gave him the benefit of the doubt to wait till Friday… I've left a message with the sales receptionist (since she said she just saw him step out possibly for lunch).. No call so far, I called his phone and left a vm 2 hours ago, still no call.

Am I going overboard? I just feel I should be informed more… this is the first dealership where I'm actually trying to contact the salesperson, where usually it's them that bug the hell out of you.

I can understand you wanting an update. Is the dealership close enough for you to drop in to see your salesperson? Might be easier than waiting for a phone call.

Back