Does anyone have experience with OBDII readers on their Honda?

JonnyRotten

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
I saw this brought up on the Rev Hang thread and I'm wondering if anyone has tried using the OBDII readers to diagnose problems?
These guys make a Bluetooth reader that can be used with either iPhone or Android
http://gopointtech.com/

Looks interesting and they can be used on many different types of vehicles.

Looks pretty decent but all the functions don't work on both platforms of phones. Maybe once they can get all the functions on android it might be worth looking into. Seems to be "better" than the readers you can buy at the car parts stores.

They also make the aps for the iPhone (that's what I have)
There are two aps for iPhone made by them. They won an award from Popular Mechanics for them.

I have an Android phone which means I would have to pay the $140 for the bluetooth version, if I read everyhing correctly. If I could get the reg. version for the $70 I would think it would be worth it.

I didn't even know such a thing existed until I saw it on the rev hang thread. Took me awhile to find something even close to Spider's $11 but I ended up ordering a BAFX Products scan tool (for Android) from Amazon for $23.99 that should arrive this weekend. The product description says it works with the Torque app: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i00

I'll post an update after it arrives and I get a chance to play with it.

Sweet...looking forward to see how they work for you guys.

Already have torque app ready to go been doodling around on it. seems pretty cool
I was reading up on the Bluetooth OBDII scan tools and I found lots of posts from people not being able to sync it with their iPhones. I think android and iPhones use a different Bluetooth protocol so for those with iPhones make sure you are getting one that is compatible. Looks like the people with Android phones have a lot more choices of adapters.

I was reading up on the Bluetooth OBDII scan tools and I found lots of posts from people not being able to sync it with their iPhones. I think android and iPhones use a different Bluetooth protocol so for those with iPhones make sure you are getting one that is compatible. Looks like the people with Android phones have a lot more choices of adapters.

because everything android is open source, apple is closed source, which means that unless apple released the software to you (purchased from them) you can't create things that work with their products.
that's why i use droids.
open source, free the code!!

It's actually because the app has never been released for iPhones. Most of the obd2 readers come with a software cd though. If your computer/laptop has Bluetooth, that's another option.

google is awesome though. listed as one of the best companies to work for, they keep their prices low on things, are very consumer friendly, and are open source (they run android)
walmart and apple couldn't care less about customers once they've bought the product, ive had nothing but hassle with apple products aftermarket support/warranty issues

because everything android is open source, apple is closed source, which means that unless apple released the software to you (purchased from them) you can't create things that work with their products.
that's why i use droids.
open source, free the code!!
i just like to bash apple and their nazi closed source ways webs
I'm not going to use this forum as a Apple/Android debate but let me just say that because Apple keeps control over their software coding it has remained very simple and therefor it remains VERY stable. Microsoft has let everyone modify their software to make it compatible with their programs and it has become very complicated and is more susceptible to problems.
To each his own. I think Apple just does this to keep control of their products and software for the simple sake of being able to maintain a certain level of stability and to be able to maintain the performance of their products. That's what they have built their reputation on and therefor why they are doing so well.

My brother has this and he hooked it up on my FG2. It's pretty neat. It shows my driving route, mpg, rpm, g's, etc. I don't think it fixes rev hang.

Back