Fishing - Big fish

I went fishing yesterday morning. One of the fish I caught was a tiny fluke. The season for fluke fishing is over though. I also caught 8 sea robins. I hate catching these fish...Lol. If no one knows what one looks like, it looks like this:

SeaRobin_LongIslandSound1.jpg

All the fish I caught yesterday were released. I don't think I'd keep 8 Sea Robins. :bleh: These things are ugly, but I heard they taste good depending on how they are cooked.

I just bought 2 braided fishing lines. One is a 40-lb test for myself the other is a 60-lb test for my brother. I also bought a Hurricane BB2 10' surf fishing rod. It's a pretty affordable cork handle surf rod. I'm not ready to purchase Tica fishing rods yet. Lol. Now I need to find a good reel. It will be my 7th fishing rod combo. :giggle:

Stripers will start showing up in a month. I'm pretty excited about that.

I'm also planning on buying a deep sea rod bc I'll eventually need it, as well as a good spin reel and line. Probably 80-lb test.

1233373_10151387840037168_2097296578_n-jpg.26808

The Okuma 10' Rod that is shown on the left is pretty annoying to fish with. I think it is too bulky and heavy, although it is one of the best bang for the buck rods out there (~$40). I am getting tired casting with it. Lol. It will be a back-up rod.

Nice pics , I'm a salt water fisherman myself but I've seen many carps in the lakes since I live in florida I'm surrounded by lakes , I'm curious what do you use as bait for carps

From what location? NJ shore town, LI shore town, etc?
NJ. There are many party boats down the shore. Like Point Pleasant, Belmar, and other places here.

When I was young, my dad and I used to go out from Stone Harbor.

It would be interesting to go out on either a half, or all day trip. Unfortunately, I got rid of all my equipment years ago. I guess I could always rent a rod and reel.

When I was young, my dad and I used to go out from Stone Harbor.

It would be interesting to go out on either a half, or all day trip. Unfortunately, I got rid of all my equipment years ago. I guess I could always rent a rod and reel.
A decent gear doesn't cost too much. You can get a combo for under $100. But it's the rigs that make fishing more costly. Lol.

I want to go Kayak fishing, but Im afraid of what fish I'll hook on. It would be okay if I'm fishing for Porgy, but not 40" Bluefish or 30"+ Stripe Bass. Lol.

Nice pics , I'm a salt water fisherman myself but I've seen many carps in the lakes since I live in florida I'm surrounded by lakes , I'm curious what do you use as bait for carps
Thanks! The common carp are omnivores. Although their teeth are not visible, deep in their throats they have pharyngeal teeth that can crush very hard objects like crustacean shells. Their natural diet is similar to other freshwater fish and consists of snails, crayfish, mussels, fish, freshwater shrimps, bugs, worms, and plant matter. But the problem with using worms or other fish as bait for carp is not that they won't eat them but that it's not selective. If you use worms as bait for example, 99% of the time you'll either catch a bluegill or catfish. But in UK lakes where carp are the primary stocked fish, maggots are a popular bait for them but here in the USA, bluegills will tear up the maggots before a carp can find it.

So some good baits that are selective for carp are plant sources. Corn, tiger nuts, and bread for example are really good baits for carp. Although these are not natural food sources for carp, they readily recognize them as food because of the amino acid profile and other chemical compounds they release in the water. For bigger carp I like to use European baits called "boilies" which is pictured in post #18 and can be purchased at bigcarptackle.com

Anyways that's probably more info you wanted lol. If you're just starting out I'd say corn is a very good bait to use.

My new surf rod came in yesterday. It's a really good deal for a 10' rod with cork handle. Only ~$28. It's about half the price of the Okuma Longitude rod and seems to be about the same in terms of looks.
IMG_2151_zps4e213b71.jpg

Im still looking for a good surf reel to use. I have too many choices right now.

Okuma Avenger ABF65 (~$60)
71d7vYbt6aL._SL1500_.jpg

Okuma Distance Surf DS-60 (~$60)

$(KGrHqN,!q8FG8jo2GgRBR3cc)hISg~~60_12.JPG

There's a no name brand surf reel on amazon. It looks nice, but I'm worried about the quality. (~$45)
41aFPfOkJ1L.jpg

I bought a cheap reel (probably the same manufacturer) and the neck broke while I was trying to pull a snagged line (50lbs). I dont want to deal with that again.

I just bought the Okuma ABF-90. Lol.

Thanks! The common carp are omnivores. Although their teeth are not visible, deep in their throats they have pharyngeal teeth that can crush very hard objects like crustacean shells. Their natural diet is similar to other freshwater fish and consists of snails, crayfish, mussels, fish, freshwater shrimps, bugs, worms, and plant matter. But the problem with using worms or other fish as bait for carp is not that they won't eat them but that it's not selective. If you use worms as bait for example, 99% of the time you'll either catch a bluegill or catfish. But in UK lakes where carp are the primary stocked fish, maggots are a popular bait for them but here in the USA, bluegills will tear up the maggots before a carp can find it.

So some good baits that are selective for carp are plant sources. Corn, tiger nuts, and bread for example are really good baits for carp. Although these are not natural food sources for carp, they readily recognize them as food because of the amino acid profile and other chemical compounds they release in the water. For bigger carp I like to use European baits called "boilies" which is pictured in post #18 and can be purchased at bigcarptackle.com

Anyways that's probably more info you wanted lol. If you're just starting out I'd say corn is a very good bait to use.
Thanks for the info I'm always looking for ways to catch the big fishes

My new surf rod came in yesterday. It's a really good deal for a 10' rod with cork handle. Only ~$28. It's about half the price of the Okuma Longitude rod and seems to be about the same in terms of looks.

Im still looking for a good surf reel to use. I have too many choices right now.

Okuma Avenger ABF65 (~$60)

Okuma Distance Surf DS-60 (~$60)

There's a no name brand surf reel on amazon. It looks nice, but I'm worried about the quality. (~$45)

I bought a cheap reel (probably the same manufacturer) and the neck broke while I was trying to pull a snagged line (50lbs). I dont want to deal with that again.
Of those you listed above I'd personally have chosen the Okuma Distance Surf DS-60 for it's distance casting ability and light weight (~20 oz). The avegner abf65 and 90 are about 27 oz. 7 ounces is nothing but once you put it on a reel, it surprisingly makes a difference. But then again, you're probably not going to be holding it all day long so it should be ok. Plus the baitrunner/feeder feature of the reel is nice since you can loosen the drag and tighten it with just a flick.

I was comparing the price vs features and it was a hard decision. The ABF90s normally dont go for the same price as the ABF65 so I had to lean with that reel instead. I may get the distance surf later on.

I cancelled my order on the ABF90 and bought the Surf-60! Lol. I like the spool on the Surf. The spool's neck on the ABF-90 is shorter and much thinner.
okuma_32863_2.jpg

Back