Fishing - Big fish

I cancelled my order on the ABF90 and bought the Surf-60! Lol. I like the spool on the Surf. The spool's neck on the ABF-90 is shorter and much thinner.
Lol that was good decision. Distance casting is really big in carp fishing and they actually make an almost identical model for carp fishing over in the UK: http://www.okuma.com.tw/en/products-view-1-1-40.html

Here's a simple video with tips on how to increase distance. It's a simple overhead cast but changes it a little bit to maximize speed and therefore distance. Casting this way, using a 12 foot rod I've been able to cast to about 170 yards. It's not an impressive number in absolute terms but for a simple overhead cast (as opposed to the advanced pendulum cast), I'm really happy with that distance. Hope you can find some of the tips in this video helpful.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2iH7IXa4I&feature=share&list=PL861C6D3D48DFE505

Pretty cool. With what weight and line(lbs/type?) where you using? Personally, I like using the 3oz weights.

Pretty cool. With what weight and line(lbs/type?) where you using? Personally, I like using the 3oz weights.
I was using a 4 oz lead and 40 lb test power pro. But you also have to keep in mind that carp rigs and baits are really small and streamlined. If I put cut bait on my hook, I'd definitely reduce my casting distance a great deal (maybe even half because of the air resistance and non streamlined profile of big cut bait).

So I received the DS-60 today. It looks like a great looking reel. I can't wait to try it out. IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2163.JPG
BUT...there's a problem. The box did not come with a spare spool. It seems like either the seller or Okuma covered the text that said "EXTRA SPOOL". There's 4 languages printed in the box and all of them were taped. I peeled off the one in English.
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2165.JPG
I bought a 40-lb and a 50-lb braided line for this reel specifically. I emailed the seller (Tackledirect.com). Their description did not even mention that there will or will not be an extra spool included. It's pretty bogus since I decided to buy from this store since it is an NJ seller (shipped to my house). And I paid more for a reel($75) that did not include an extra spool. I should have bought it from Amazon($60+$5shipping).

If I don't hear back from them this week, I'll contact Okuma directly.

Man that sucks. And by the looks of it, an extra looks to be standard. The seller needs to get you one. Hope everything turns out ok.

Man that sucks. And by the looks of it, an extra looks to be standard. The seller needs to get you one. Hope everything turns out ok.
Thanks. It should be standard. On many DS-60s I saw, they all come with the graphite spool.

In the meantime, I'll put the 40-lb test on this reel when I receive the delivery. I'm also currently bidding on the Avenger ABF-65 on eBay. Lol. I noticed that the ABF-90 takes too much line and has a thin spool. The ABF-65 would be perfect for me.

I just won it. Not bad for $40 for a brand new bait feeder. The seller is located in NJ too. Lol. The 50lb line will probably get here by next week. It will go on this now.
0073999813256_500X500.jpg

I'm guessing that Okuma made the Distance Surf not have the extra spool. The box was taped/sealed by Okuma. Hopefully, the store gets back to me to clarify this.

Im pretty sure the ABFs come with the extra graphite spool. Lol.

It tuns out that Okuma no longer includes the extra spool for the reel.

Nice reels Dar Dar. Keep us posted as to which one you prefer as you use it. The weight of reels is an important spec for me but that's just my personal preference. And you're right, the baitfeeder/baitrunner feature is always convenient and a great feature to have and paying only $40 for that reel....now that's a bargain for sure.

I got an email back from Okuma. The rep said that the DS-60 with the extra spool was only for the European market. :think:

I haven't tried both reels yet. I got my 50lb line last night and it's on the bait feeder. High tide is at 2pm tomorrow. I'll be fishing by 11 or noon. I'll let you know my thoughts on both reels. If I get tired of the Baitrunner, I'll give it to my brother (then he'll have 2 ABF-65s) and get the Okuma Axeon II-8000 Surf reel.

Today wasnt a good day to fish. I was casting against the wind that was blowing 15-20 mph. I left in an hour bc it was windy and pretty chilly.

I assumed he was on a boat. Of course, where I live people fish off bridges a lot.

Bought a baitcaster from the pres of the bass fishing club at my school here. been doing a **** ton more fishing lately :)

went pond fishing at bout 5 minutes away from my school, guy was using live bluegill and caught a nice 9lb largemouth. dont think ive ever caught anything over 5lbs =(

anyone try mattlure's bluegill? extremely tempted to buy it

Back