Full gauges, not included?

Noel

Hello all, new to forum and new 2012 Si Coupe owner. I did not notice when I test drove the car and paid for, but there is no full instrumentation: no amp meter, no water temp, no oil pressure, no oil temp. Even my basic Ford Explorer has this. Seems like a sports coupe would have these. Anyone know of a way to suggest to Honda to add another screen to the iMid? It already talks to the OBDII computer for the MPG and power output, seems like it would be easy to add another piece of code for this. I really don't want to shell out 400 dollars for an aftermarket digital gauge pack and have to plug it into the computer port.

But I still love the car!!!

Honda is aware of the site, so they could read your post.

http://automobiles.honda.com/information/customer-relations.aspx
A better option - Phone/fax/mail options there ^^ so you know they'll see it.

Agreed that it's something they could have offered in the imid. I'm not sure why they don't add it, but it was the same way in the previous civic. Some people just buy a triple gauge pod and run it down the a-pillar (if they want the gauges).

Something like this
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/06-08-honda-civic-si-triple-pillar-pod.aspx
(that is for the previous gen civic)

Or buy a scan gauge and get volts and water temps, not sure if the oil pressure and temp is available thou...

I found a aftermarket digital unit that plugs into the OBDII port, but costs $300. I also know about the pillar gauges, but I am not into the "tuner show" that brings with it. I would prefer the iMid option since it is at eye level and is already there reading some engine parameters already. Just my personal preference. I will send a note to Honda and ask if this can be done.

I found a aftermarket digital unit that plugs into the OBDII port, but costs $300. I also know about the pillar gauges, but I am not into the "tuner show" that brings with it. I would prefer the iMid option since it is at eye level and is already there reading some engine parameters already. Just my personal preference. I will send a note to Honda and ask if this can be done.

I too am curious about this so any word from Honda?

[
Honda reinvented the idiot light!

I'm 58 years old. Back in the 70's, some of the cars eliminated the temp guage. We refered to the light that would come on when your engine was overheating as the "idiot light". It only came on when the vehicle was clearly over heating, and only an idiot would not realize this. The manufacturers went back to the temp guage after many customer complaints.

Hey Honda...the temp guage is a useful tool when something is going wrong, even before it goes wrong. With a temp guage , I can determine if the car is safe to drive if it's running hot. If the car is running hot or cold, but not off enough to throw a sensor, I can find the problem before it becomes a bigger problem.

How about a software fix?????

Or do what i did put an ipad goose neck to passenger seat ......i got the kiwi wifi which plugs in obd2 reads all your vitals then sends a signal to my ipad which the app cost 50bucks but well worth it
..thats new school for guages that way you take the ipad with you and you dont have to give any1 eye candy when you park your car

Kiwi wifi $150 which i found brand new on ebay for 100
Ipad app dash command $50
You need ipad iphone or ipod touch and they have a kiwi model for android too

So for 180 since i already had an ipad was the total and it took 15 min to put it all in :dancing:
No crazy wires or taking apart panels ....15 min and i got all the guages i needed...
Hope that helps lol
Goose neck mount 30

I think i posted it somwhere in a thead maybe what did you do to your car today i think

Last edited:
I don't even know what you're trying to say? Civics can't have engine problems?

I don't even know what you're trying to say? Civics can't have engine problems?
I just can't comprehend a need for them in an Si. They were absolutely useless in my old Z33, and just looked stupid. I could understand a need during potential track use, but that's about it.

when a person has future plans yes its needed ...
n/a maybe we can do without half of all that but if panning to go F/I then i can see them having full fucntionality.

Last edited:
You're aware most users don't keep their cars stock right??? Most SI owners, let alone civic owners.... modify their cars. Here's a 2012 that hit over 1000hp / 600tq.

6292270163_24eba74c72_o.jpg

Your eyes aren’t deceiving you…the Bisimoto Engineering 2012 Honda Civic produced 1004 horsepower and 623LB-Ft of torque… One-thousand and four horsepower K24!…

So, when you say... "but it's a Honda Civic"... think about that.

a lot of people autox/drag/track their cars here

You're aware most users don't keep their cars stock right??? Most SI owners, let alone civic owners.... modify their cars. Here's a 2012 that hit over 1000hp / 600tq.

6292270163_24eba74c72_o.jpg

So, when you say... "but it's a Honda Civic"... think about that.
I'm well aware, yet MOST Si Owners will fall into the "Hard Parker" category, or throw on some combination of I/H(Downpipe)/E in hopes of enticing their butt dyno. Running boost would really be the only reason for monitoring suggested readings.

I can see some N/A people using some of these gauges if they are running flashpro since it changes the entire powerband from intake to timing even vtec enagement so i see using gauges to monitor all that stuff a good reason to use them...

A number of NA users are pushing into the 230whp range with just a few mods. Do you have a 9th gen... pics/mods?

Back