gauging interest in headlight retrofits - HIDs

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
gauging interest in headlight retrofits - HIDs

How many users out there have an interest in purchasing a full headlight retrofit, if the pricing was slightly reduced from most online retailers? I'm not referring to plug and play $100 hid kits you can find. I'm referring to full oem/aftermarket HID projectors and retrofit parts.

bulbs
ballasts
wire harnesses
shrouds
projectors

the parts are essentially universal, and could be installed on any make/model vehicle

tell me your thoughts/questions

• Staff
have you done much research, or have specific parts you're hoping to use in a retrofit? Or you're open to various parts

If I was in the market I would jump on it, lol.

Yes. I have a friend with a sentra who is considering doing it with the mini H1's. Price is the only thing holding him back. Perhaps a slight break and he would jump on it. I'll pass the work along. This like a GB sort of thing?

• Staff
well, it wouldn't have to be a group buy thing. I wanted to gauge interest initially, and then see if it's worth offering in the store. At least I know 1 other individual may be interested...

Interested. Was looking at the Morimoto Mini's potentially with OEM Denso Ballasts with Philips 85122+ Bulbs. Also considering the TSX Projectors with same ballasts and bulbs. Found all of those on theretrofitsource.com

I never saw this post. I feel like I have been under a rock the past month lol. If retros weren't so damn expensive I would likely get one similar to the OEM look Custom Lights posted on here a while back. Or similar to the Chinese 9th gen's headlights.

yeah, it's definitely an expense. You're dealing with a wire harness, bulbs, ballasts, shrouds, projectors, housing sealant, ...plus any labor fees unless you do it yourself.

I'd rather wait, make friends with someone overseas who can get me some Chinese Civic headlights as long as it's a perfect transfer/fit

I'd rather wait, make friends with someone overseas who can get me some Chinese Civic headlights as long as it's a perfect transfer/fit
I don't think the entire China Civic headlights will plug and play because we have coupes. It might work for the sedans since the Chinese Civics only come in sedans. Someone on this forum or the other 9th forum found out it would be around $300 each side, not including shipping and customs fees. Coupe owners would probably need to pull out the projectors and leave the rest of the housing to no use. At $600 with only projectors, I can retrofit S2000 projectors with OEM Denso or Matusushita Ballasts along with Philips 85122+ bulbs!

I think the Blue Civic Customlightz posted up would be the most OEM look you can get. Simply added projectors and the chrome shroud, and leaving the reflector bowl unpainted.

I don't think the entire China Civic headlights will plug and play because we have coupes. It might work for the sedans since the Chinese Civics only come in sedans. Someone on this forum or the other 9th forum found out it would be around $300 each side, not including shipping and customs fees. Coupe owners would probably need to pull out the projectors and leave the rest of the housing to no use. At $600 with only projectors, I can retrofit S2000 projectors with OEM Denso or Matusushita Ballasts along with Philips 85122+ bulbs!

I think the Blue Civic Customlightz posted up would be the most OEM look you can get. Simply added projectors and the chrome shroud, and leaving the reflector bowl unpainted.

That's actually the look I would go for but it's way too expensive for me right now. Maybe down the line I will retro the lights myself (or with the help of my dad). I liked the fancy retros on the 8th but idk how I feel about them on the 9th yet.

That's actually the look I would go for but it's way too expensive for me right now. Maybe down the line I will retro the lights myself (or with the help of my dad). I liked the fancy retros on the 8th but idk how I feel about them on the 9th yet.

Yea I really want HID's in general. My friend went through 4 HID kits on his Accord, which consisted of DDMtuning, ebay, and a friend's HID kit. That's why I don't know which kit to get right now. I really want the Denso HID Ballast since it comes OEM in Toyota and Lexus. That way you know it'll last, but then again it costs $165 without bulbs. Then the thought of retrofitting came by when I thought about spending that much on an OEM kit, I might as well retrofit it, since the OEM kit is meant for projectors anyways. Decisions......

The HID kit I am using now has lasted me since 2007 when I had them in my FG2 at the time. It got lots of use and these bay boys are still going strong today ~5 years later. The brand is Apexcone if I'm not mistaken. They were a gift from one of my friends so idk how much he paid for them at the time.

Yea it really is a hit and miss. A friend of mine has been using an eBay kit for about 7 years now haha

I would have interest. I was just looking at Custom Lightz site. Good information, but almost too much. I get the impression that it is going to cost more $$$ than I'm initially comfortable with . . . but we'll see. If there were a kit available that I could install . . . yeah, I'd be interested.

proj.png

proj2.png

I have some mini h1's on hand. They go for around $130/pair shipped on a majority of sites. I haven't decided what price to list them at....

Who's up for a DIY on a set of mini h1 projectors? What price would make you jump on a set? :excited:

Back