General MT Questions

Do Si's have a "show me" line meter, where it shows if you're using your gas at a max/min usages?

0-infinity run please
emoji57.png

When it's not snowing out, lol, and in a 35:

0-19 1st
20-33 2nd
34-39 3rd
40-42 4th
43-45 5th
Coast back to 40 in 6th.

Alternatively, when I get on the highway each night where there are 3 lanes to play with:

0-22 1st
23-38 2nd
39-53 3rd
54-72 4th
73-85 5th
85-infinity 6th

This is all approximated off what I am imagining my car doing while sitting here at my computer; I am not typically looking at my speed, especially for the second set, but instead at my rpm's.

Do we have overdrive in 6th @Michal006

I wouldn't really call the 6th gear overdrive to be honest. Maybe @webby can you help you.

Is this your first manual car? Make sure to press the clutch pedal all the way in when changing gears and try shifting around 3K rpm. When slowing down when the needle is at 2k downshift to lower gear.

Any top gear is technically overdrive. 6th gear is used to achieve better mpg on the highway.

Close-Ratio 6-Speed Manual Transmission

Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.267, 2nd: 2.040, 3rd: 1.429, 4th: 1.073, 5th: 0.830, 6th: 0.647, Reverse: 3.583, Final Drive: 4.76

Helical Limited-Slip Differential

Close-Ratio 6-Speed Manual Transmission

Gear Ratios: 1st: 3.267, 2nd: 2.040, 3rd: 1.429, 4th: 1.073, 5th: 0.830, 6th: 0.647, Reverse: 3.583, Final Drive: 4.76

Helical Limited-Slip Differential
This would mean 5th and 6th are technically "overdrive" gears.

Have any of you experienced a slight grinding or chirping noise when in half clutch for too long typically when in heavy traffic?

Have any of you experienced a slight grinding or chirping noise when in half clutch for too long typically when in heavy traffic?
1st you shouldn't ride the clutch(in heavy traffic, back off the following distance to allow you to advance using the gas/idle-in-gear to pull you if it's to slow). As for the sound it's probably the clutch-plate and pads from getting hot & or glazed.

1st you shouldn't ride the clutch(in heavy traffic, back off the following distance to allow you to advance using the gas/idle-in-gear to pull you if it's to slow). As for the sound it's probably the clutch-plate and pads from getting hot & or glazed.
Ok thx will do that. I m just letting Honda take a look today I just hope they don't further mess it up

Yes dude that's the one!!! Thts the sound it makes when in half clutch.... So its a bad clutch after all... I guess I would hv to leave it at the dealer thn.. Thx
If the dealer is just replacing with another of the same, maybe look into an aftermarket replacement that won't follow suit of all the Civic clutches.

If the dealer is just replacing with another of the same, maybe look into an aftermarket replacement that won't follow suit of all the Civic clutches.
Ok thank you will keep an eye on that. I just will make sure that they give me a new one caz mine only has 7k miles on it

I just had mine replaced under warranty earlier this week. See this thread, it is a common problem, and likely to happen again with the replacement: http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/clutch-noise.6191/

Toward the end you will see listed out what you need to do to get the dealership to replace it, and if they are not being agreeable show them the media that I posted. The hard part is reproducing the noise for a tech, but if you practice on a couple hills around where you plan to take it in, you should have no problems.

This thread is on the same topic, but has more contributions and a better explanation of how to get the noise to happen/what is causing the noise: http://www.9th gencivic.com/forum/drivetrain-problems/53745-1st-gear-clutch-noise.html (sorry the link doesn't work, just enter in address bar and remove space).

I just had mine replaced under warranty earlier this week. See this thread, it is a common problem, and likely to happen again with the replacement: http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/clutch-noise.6191/

Toward the end you will see listed out what you need to do to get the dealership to replace it, and if they are not being agreeable show them the media that I posted. The hard part is reproducing the noise for a tech, but if you practice on a couple hills around where you plan to take it in, you should have no problems.

This thread is on the same topic, but has more contributions and a better explanation of how to get the noise to happen/what is causing the noise: http://www.9th gencivic.com/forum/drivetrain-problems/53745-1st-gear-clutch-noise.html (sorry the link doesn't work, just enter in address bar and remove space).[/QUOTE
Thx man really appreciate the detailed input and the help. U r saying it will keep on happening so we should jus keep on getting thm changed while in warranty n thn get an aftermarket one?

Thx man really appreciate the detailed input and the help. U r saying it will keep on happening so we should jus keep on getting thm changed while in warranty n thn get an aftermarket one?

If you get it replaced under warranty, they will treat it as a "goodwill" exchange; you wont have to pay for it, but the new part will not be warrantied and they will not do the same replacement a second time on their dime. I had mine replaced with an OEM clutch because I am still a year or two away from affording my supercharger upgrade, and by the time my replacement clutch starts to fail - if it does - I will need to upgrade to account for the increase in power anyways (most owners are experiencing this failure starting shortly after 30k miles; I have only seen one or two other people besides you who had this problem <10k miles, and one of them had tracked his car around 5k miles and seriously abused his clutch in the process).

If you plan on keeping your car a long time and see no other clutch upgrades in your future, installing an aftermarket clutch that wont end up failing is definitely the way to go. Our stock clutch/flywheel is also incredibly heavy (32 lbs); going for something lighter would be ideal.

Back