Grinding noise when shifting into 4th gear, doesn't happen with other gears

BubbahRolls

Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Hello Everybody,

-How it happened- Girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to mess with me by hiding my car. Her along with a friend didn't realize or remember to push the clutch in to shift gears. So im pretty sure they spent a good 10 minutes trying to jam the car into first gear (or maybe fourth since its the messed up gear).

I'm pretty sure my car needs to be taken in to a shop but I wanted to get some information before i just took it in. Some questions i'd like answered would be

1) what are the possible causes - messed up gear box, clutch, transmission, syncros?
2) What kinda repair cost am I looking at ?
3) Would this be covered by warranty? highly doubt it haha but cant hurt to ask.
4) Will continued driving while avoiding 4th gear spread/ incur long lasting damage?

Summary of the problem- Basically anytime I shift into 4th gear, I hear a grinding sound. Also my clutch doesn't feel as stiff as it use to be. Olive (my 2012 SI) seems to be driving fine and there doesn't seem to be any other problems, i've just been avoiding 4th gear. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe I can use this as an opportunity to get my girlfriend to help me begin tuning my car. :dancing:

Driving it with pieces of tranny parts floating around isn't a good idea to me take it into the dealer and get it fixed.
Get another girlfriend. That's what you call high maintenance.

Last edited:
Driving it with pieces of tranny parts floating around isn't a good idea to me take it into the dealer and get it fixed.
Get another girlfriend. That's what you call high maintenance.
Ditto!

Biggest stress components are most likely the syncros and the clutch in descending order. I would definitely get it checked/fixed since it will not go away, most likely become worse with time.

Or after that, learn to keep my keys in my pants. haha

Among other things....heyooooh!! Lol Jk

I would call the dealer and say it just started happening. Do not under any circumstances tell them it was caused by your GF. Tell them you are the only one driving this car 100% of the time. Possibly delete this thread or change your name in case Honda searches you online, since it looks like your screen name is your legal name.

Hello all,
So I took my car in and Dragos was spot on with what he said
Biggest stress components are most likely the syncros and the clutch in descending order.
i'll post a full report in a couple days. on a side not can someone actually tell me how to change my usename? haha<br>
Andrew J Cabrera said:
Or after that, learn to keep my keys in my pants. haha​
Among other things....heyooooh!! Lol Jk
haha

Name change....... Ask webby ........ Can be changed though moderators only.....

Back