Guys, I need your input on brake pads.

I haven't personally heard of it, but I'm friends with the same accord owner and had the same feedback from him. It could be how he drives? I have no clue. The best thing is to just find different reviews online. The Si owner bought new blank rotors.

Slotted rotors will eat the pads faster and dust more too, fyi.

Nix, I just read your review again. The groan is normal for many OEM pads too when inching along really slowly.. it's just the pad biting and slipping on the rotor as it's right on the limit of the applied pressure.
If HPS are cheaper than OEM then they are ok if you just want replacements, if you want to upgrade - look elsewhere. < cliffnotes, haha.

I haven't personally heard of it, but I'm friends with the same accord owner and had the same feedback from him. It could be how he drives? I have no clue. The best thing is to just find different reviews online. The Si owner bought new blank rotors.

Slotted rotors will eat the pads faster and dust more too, fyi.
Good to know.

What do you know about the StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads? XLR8 told me about it on the 8th. It's almost half the price of the Red Stuff.
http://store.excelerateperformance....ads_street_performance/30908290/i-380661.aspx

My order on the Red Stuff is also already in transit. I don't think I want to return it since I have to pay for shipping and a restocking fee.

I say just be conscientious with the Reds if you choose to use them. I've heard and read so many mixed reviews of EBC's entire pad lineup that I'm beginning to believe their performance is really hit or miss.

I say just be conscientious with the Reds if you choose to use them. I've heard and read so many mixed reviews of EBC's entire pad lineup that I'm beginning to believe their performance is really hit or miss.

313730_10150236990262168_529262167_6590505_1375880609_n.jpg

I just installed the Red Stuff and the quality looks pretty good. I read reviews about them being squeaky and squealing alot during the bed-in period, but I actually didn't notice any of that. The installation was pretty much a piece of cake. It took me less than an hour to do this. I rotated the brake rotors as well.

If my rotors end up getting worn out from these pads, I'll just buy aftermarket blanks or drilled rotors.

After driving the car with the Red Stuff, I did notice a better stopping power. They are definitely much much better than the stock pads. The pads also look really nice on the car. They will look better if I paint the calipers black or if my car was Ralley Red. I'm going to end up buying the Red Stuff rear pads after winter to match the fronts.

No, actually, I'm really interested in seeing how they turn out for you; could show that what happened to my friend was an isolated incident.

Thanks for the input. I will definitely do the bed-in procedure once I get the brake pads.

How was the Red Stuff on your friend's Si? Did he/she also change the rotors? Did it eat away the brake rotors like Jared's friend's Accord?
OH by the way... my '09 Accord already has a warped rotor, at just 22,000 miles. My Honda mechanic admitted it was poor quality ("Toyota is the same") saying they are all trying to save weight. (Ahem, and maybe money?) Anyway, one of the benefits to a brake upgrade isn't always a better brake pad (maybe yes, maybe no) but the premium slotted/drilled rotors should stay cooler and last longer than OEM. Question is, did Honda gave birth to the SI with upgraded rotors or did they just clone the DX/LX/EX rotors?

Any other experiences with rotors out there?

Drilled are a waste of money. They are only for looks.
I bought some high end rotors and didn't care for the looks actually. But I was impressed with their construction and what felt like additional weight, thinking the lack thereof is what caused my OEM rotor to warp. Might be worth checking out if there is a difference. :shadyhat:

Same went with my dad's 2011 Pilot. The brake rotors went bad at 18k miles. Honda did a poor job picking out these parts.

Same went with my dad's 2011 Pilot. The brake rotors went bad at 18k miles. Honda did a poor job picking out these parts.
Thanks for the confirm. Wondering whether Honda used better brake parts on the SI.

The Si generally has a larger rotor than the non-si models. Diameter at least. I dunno about thickness and im not sure if it is the same rotor as on the accords or other models.

the si rotors are not the same as the non-si model rotors

si = 11.8" / 10.2" Ventilated front disc/ Solid rear disc brakes
dx/lx = 10.3" / 7.9" Ventilated Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
ex/ ex-l = 10.3" / 10.2" Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes

the si rotors are not the same as the non-si model rotors

si = 11.8" / 10.2" Ventilated front disc/ Solid rear disc brakes
dx/lx = 10.3" / 7.9" Ventilated Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
ex/ ex-l = 10.3" / 10.2" Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes

Not really. I'm open to all answers since this is the 1st time I'm changing the brake pads.
FWIW - Honda pads seem fine for the most part, except on the track. Their rotors are not. I did have one incident where rear brake pads were gone after 15,000 on my 2009 Accord. Dealer covered the TSB. But it's more common, apparently, to see rotors warping these days. That same car, in fact (the 09 Accord) experienced a warped rotor at 23,000 during a cross country trip from CA to FL. I'm not sure whether it was the summer heat or the extra weight. I have since upgraded to slotted/drilled ECB rotors, something I may do for the SI. The dealer said Toyota is having the same problem.

After over a year now, my rotors are still in great shape. The EBC redstuff didn't eat away the stock rotors at all. Also, people were saying that they get squeaks frequently with these pads, especially during the cold season. But I think it's all about the proper bed in. My pads don't squeak at all.

FWIW - Honda pads seem fine for the most part, except on the track. Their rotors are not. I did have one incident where rear brake pads were gone after 15,000 on my 2009 Accord. Dealer covered the TSB. But it's more common, apparently, to see rotors warping these days. That same car, in fact (the 09 Accord) experienced a warped rotor at 23,000 during a cross country trip from CA to FL. I'm not sure whether it was the summer heat or the extra weight. I have since upgraded to slotted/drilled ECB rotors, something I may do for the SI. The dealer said Toyota is having the same problem.

The Si's seem to have pretty good rotors. I'm not sure why some models do not.

After over a year now, my rotors are still in great shape. The EBC redstuff didn't eat away the stock rotors at all. Also, people were saying that they get squeaks frequently with these pads, especially during the cold season. But I think it's all about the proper bed in. My pads don't squeak at all.

The Si's seem to have pretty good rotors. I'm not sure why some models do not.
The SI actually has the same rotors my 2009 Accord has (11.8") which a much heavier car. That alone should help. But on heavy load or high heat they don't hold up on the Accord. So at some point they'd crack under SI pressure as well.... at least that's my expectation for aggressive drivers. But I'm sure you never drive like that, do you? :spazface:

Keep us posted on the EBC stuff. I have some too but haven't installed them.

Back