Help message on imid - tighten fuel cap

rcracer

Norcal
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX-L Nav
Body Style
Sedan
Message poped up today so decided to fill up and it's still there. How do I get rid of it thanks

honda can clear it, or you can just drive your car for a while to get it to clear. Make sure your cap is tight - clicks 2-3 times.

from honda -

"If a vehicle's fuel fill cap is loose or missing, and the ECM/PCM detects an EVAP system leak when it runs the EVAP monitor, the CHECK FUEL CAP message appears on the information display when the engine is started. A temporary DTC is also stored in the ECM/PCM's memory. If this happens, there's really no need for the owner to bring the vehicle in for service. All he or she has to do is shut off the engine and make sure the fuel fill cap is in place and it's properly tightened.

Although the owner can cycle the message from the display with the reset button, the temporary DTC that's setting the message is still there. This means the message never really goes away. It can be cycled back with the reset button and it comes on again if the ignition switch is cycled or the engine is restarted. This message keeps coming back until the EVAP monitor runs again and it finds no EVAP system leak. This could take several days, even weeks, depending on how often the vehicle is driven.

If, when the next EVAP monitor runs, the cap wasn't tightened or there's another EVAP system leak detected, the MIL comes on and the message goes off. A permanent DTC is now stored in the ECM/PCM's memory. If the owner now tightens the cap, the MIL should go off after the next EVAP monitor run, yet this could still take days or weeks. If the MIL is still on after that monitor run, then it's time to bring the vehicle in for service.

Hmmm could this happen after installing an intake? I got my first message on the iMid today, stopped the car, filled up, tightened the cap, and it went off. But on the way to cinci it came back on. I've had the intake one for 4 days now and I'm just now getting this...

If you still have the stock intake you could try putting it back on for a few days and see if it solves the issue. If not buy a new gas cap.

Honda is apparently aware of the seal getting torn on the gas cap, there is a service message on the tech website about that.
Honda is also aware that some of these cars turn on the warning message without having a loose gas cap, there was a message about it last week.
Both of these issues are currently under investigation, as far as I know. No fix has been announced that I have heard so far.

Post from like 2 weeks back ^^

You could swing by a dealer & have it documented/looked at. Maybe the seal is torn on yours?

Well I checked it and it looks fine. I have not tried to put the OEM intake box back on yet but I wouldnt see why it would make the gas cap light go on a few days after the install. Then it went off again until the next day while driving...doesnt add up to me. I'm also afraid that If I go to the dealership they will tell me its cuz of the intake and get all butt hurt over it and I dont feel like getting high blood pressure from them...they messed my coupe up a while back and its never been the same with them since. They gave me crap when I went in for my first oil change...but I guess since its been an issue with other cars I can take it in and see what they say

If the light is on your dash, I'd imagine they'd check the gas cap and try clearing the code to see if the error shows up again.

I made this video today...please excuse my potty mouth and horrible voice..Ive been sick! But anyways to sum the video up, Last night I went out to eat with the lady and there was no fuel cap message, on the way back from taking her home this morning I thought I would film that it was no longer on and in the middle of trying to make this, the fuel cap light went on...so as you can see, it goes on and off at random times.

A lot of people on here have aftermarket intakes without any problems. Maybe try replacing the gas cap or go back to the oem intake and see if there's a difference. That'll probably be the only way for you to figure this out.

I would get the message several days after I filled the tank. I would always click the cap five or six times after every fill up. I finally took the car in to the dealer to have a pressure test on the fuel lines. They found that an evaporator canister was "bad" but didn't have the part in stock. I now have to go back in two weeks to have this "warranty" work performed.

On my 7th gen civic the light came on all the time, it was my evaporator canister.

I posted this on the other thread about TBS. But I'll say it here to, if you have a throttle body spacer and a non Si Civic, 99% of the time the spacer will be the reason you get the check gas cap error. It was the same way with the 8th gen R18 engines and I had it happen to me when I had one. There have been people who supposedly found a fix for it by putting the rubber ring on the opposite side of the spacer rather than the cut out area for it or something like that.

8th post -

Taken from 8thcivic

"I had this code multiple times and I kept clearing it hoping it was nothing. Finally I sat there and problem solved it. I didn't grind anything. P2R gives you a throttle body spacer and a thermal gasket. I found out that my problem was that the thermal gasket I put on the inside of the spacer (closer to the inside of the Intake) and I put the little weird o-ring on the outside in the actually throttle body spacer itself. This is what was giving me the error. The trick to fixing this is to put the weird o-ring NOT in the throttle body spacer but in the intake itself. So it should go Weird o-ring> throttle body spacer> thermal gasket> throttle body. I know its weird because for some reason P2R put a grove in the spacer for the o ring but it just didn't work for me. After I did the change I haven't had an error code since.

P.S I originally had it with the thermal gasket first and tightened the heck out of it so it kind of left an impression in the thermal gasket I wonder if this "formed" thermal gasket is the reason I don't get a code in the new order. Also Idle re-learn is KEY you have to leave it for those 15 minutes after pulling the battery."

And this was a reply with note from P2R: "Same exact issue with my car. I used the same method to fix it after calling P2R. They do not recommend putting the thermal gasket between the intake and the spacer. They have not tested it that way and did not know what would happen if you installed it that way."

I had this issue when I installed my p2r spacer. I trimmed the white gasket and am now check gas cap free for 4 days now.

^ if you still have your spacer on,... take it off and see if it resolves the issue. Or, follow the 8th advice on the gaskets and see if anything changes. Seems like that is potentially a cure for at least a few people.

Some obviously have issues with their evap canister. Since you have the throttle body spacer on, I'd start there.

Intersting...I'll see what happens when I take the TBS off....the whole gasket thing is confusing though..they make it with it for a reason and the OEM manifold has it so why rid away with it?

I don't have the answer... I would just try it and see if it goes away. If altering the order of gaskets works for some people, I'd just attempt it.

Intersting...I'll see what happens when I take the TBS off....the whole gasket thing is confusing though..they make it with it for a reason and the OEM manifold has it so why rid away with it?
did you have any luck with the spacer?

Yes, same for me. I pulled the TBS out and it was perfectly fine. Sucks but it is what it is :)
I still dont understand why it would be on and off for me and not just on all the time...

Back