Help message on imid - tighten fuel cap

Is it possible that the spacer was causing a vavuum leak that tripped off a bunch of sensors? Considering that Honda R&D develops the stock intake system with precision bends and lengths to create a balance of power and fuel economy, adding a spacer/intake may have caused a leak or brought something beyond its tolerances.

I have this problem now. I got gas friday - regular, went to work sunday night and the message popped out. I used to put 89(higher octane gas). I removed the gas cap and tightened it back but still the same error. I have 2013 civic with 5k+ miles.

If i go to the dealer, what are they gonna do? Ive read some issues like this but on 2012

I have this problem now. I got gas friday - regular, went to work sunday night and the message popped out. I used to put 89(higher octane gas). I removed the gas cap and tightened it back but still the same error. I have 2013 civic with 5k+ miles.

If i go to the dealer, what are they gonna do? Ive read some issues like this but on 2012
Do you have an intake/throttle body spacer? They'll most likely just clear the code and send you on your way. If it happens again, they'll prob look to see if your gas cap is faulty.

It does, unless they have a throttle body spacer etc. Some were not able to get it to clear without removing the part.

I drove for 30+miles, it went off, then came back on again. It happends like 3 times. I parked for a while, now it says "Check Emmission systemsystem" engine light! I only have 5090miles! Im at the dealer now, waiting!

Do you have an intake/throttle body spacer? They'll most likely just clear the code and send you on your way. If it happens again, they'll prob look to see if your gas cap is faulty.

I dont know what that is, but mine is not modified, its still in all original parts/condition.

This happened to me twice a long time ago. Got the message on Imid. I wasn't turning the gas cap tight enough. Make sure you turn it until it clicks a few times. If you want to get rid of the message without having to wait, turn on the car then turn it off. Do this 4 or 5 times and I found mine reset and the message went away.

works for honda -

It won't go away immediately after the cap is tightened. The car will have to run its evap system self test and pass for the light to go out. The gas cap check is usually done some 20 minutes after shut down, depending on conditions. If the warning stays on suspect a faulty purge solenoid valve (PCS).

I drove for 30+miles, it went off, then came back on again. It happends like 3 times. I parked for a while, now it says "Check Emmission systemsystem" engine light! I only have 5090miles! Im at the dealer now, waiting!

I have a very unusual experience regarding this "Tighten Fuel Cap" /& "Check Emission System". I went to the dealer and they said that the "Fuel Lines" got CHEWED out by a RODENT (probably a squirrel). So they have to replace the whole gas tank which is gonna cost around $875. Im so disappointed and i dont know what to say... aaarrgghhh! And it's not covered by the warranty! And I dont think its gonna be covered by my insurance neither.

Now i have rent-a-car :(

I called my insurance and I have coverage with comprehensive deductible and rental! Thank goodness. And they're going to see the damage on my car tomorrow from the dealership

Well, my TBS is still throwing the tighten fuel cap message. It only goes away when the TBS is not installed. I've just learned to deal with it lol

TBS = throttle body spacer for those not aware.

squirrels chewing gas lines? :confused: Guess anything is possible

TBS = throttle body spacer for those not aware.

squirrels chewing gas lines? :confused: Guess anything is possible

I dont even know if it's "really" possible coz i have covers in the bottom of my car. And its just the gas line that got chewed, i wonder why they have to replace the whole gas tank? Oh well, my insurance gonna look at it, i hope the dealer is not gonna ripped me off.

I've had this issue for 3 months now, I read elsewhere that you may need to replace your gas cap, I just did that today at Honda, and NOPE I still have that error message. I really don't want to take my TBS out :(

Back