HIDs flickering

Shalin

Pineville, LA
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe
I recently had some HIDs installed both for high and low beams. For some unexplainable reason the high beam, which is also the DRL, when being used as the DRL flickers. Meaning I must drive with my headlights on at all times so I won't get pulled over for pulsing lights on my vehicle. Can any one explain to me how I can fix this?

What kind of wiring did you get with the HID kit? Did it have any relays on it?

I never had an issue on the Si when I had a cheap ebay kit or a $300 HID kit. They both had a relay in the wiring.

Oh u had a relay...I just read your post again

There were no relays, but I also didn't install it myself. I had the automotive place install capacitors after they noticed the flickering because I somewhat expected it after watching a video of an 8th gen with HIDs. It didn't fix them, but I also don't know what size they tried to use.

Interesting....you should of DIY'ed it. We could of helped you...

This is the wiring you want to get....

HID-Wiring-harness.jpg

They go for pretty cheap. I would buy one if mine didn't come with one.

It is just a HID wiring with a relay. 1 and 2 would go to each ballast. 3 goes to power/battery. 4 goes to a ground. 5 goes to the drivers side stock light plug. 6 is the relay. 7 is a fuse.

Crap....I just realized your issues are on the high beam bulb. I never installed on the high beam. IMO there is no need for HIDs on the high beam.

you need to disable your DRLs, HIDs arent made to function at partial power which your high beams are being fed as DRLs. On 8th gens there was a fuse, #37 that you could remove to deactivate them. It may not be 37 on your car but removing whichever fuse controls the DRLs should stop the flickering.

sorry - I was referring to the OP - seeing what they bought

looks like it's #21 on the 2012's.

2012 Civic. Remove fuse #21 (7.5A) under the dash. No more DRLs

I didn't buy them online, I asked the business to order them for me and install them.

Why install HIDs to low beams and not to the highs?

high beams are typically used sporadically and for brief periods, running HIDs without letting them fully warm up or flashing them shortens bulb life

Makes sense, but since they are used so sporadically, would you really be able to tell that the bulb life is shortened?

Back