HIDs flickering

the problem is that hids dont instantly turn on, they have to warm up, over the life of the car you might not notice, but if you flash to pass other drivers might not see. Depending on your ballasts there is potential for hot restrikes to impact ballast life too

I see your point. I live pretty much in the country and my hights get used A LOT and for a long time so I would like to leave the HIDs. I've contacted the manufacturer and they claim to have a kit that should stop the flickering, if it doesn't I'll take y'all's advice about taking the DRL fuse out. Thank y'all, and I'll keep posted on how it all works out.

ideally if you want hid high beams you should look into a bixenon projector retrofit, then you can keep your DRLs with the proper harness, still have flashable lights and get xenon highs

:yeahthat: then you're just dealing with a shield moving instead of another bulb warming up

Whoo… this is all pretty new to me. Retrofitting is something I know very little about.

the retrofit source is a great place to get parts and read up on some of the easy options

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

they have things like the mini h1 and d2s that just bolt in through the existing bulb holes in your headlight

using projectors also puts more of your light output on the road instead of a reflector designed for halogen that has less light control

pnp-vs-retrofit-cutoff-output1.jpg

The D2S kits they have would be a nice upgrade for any car and pretty much any DIY'er could do it.

If you use a relay, your DRL function will work, but your relay has to be connected to both your Low Beam and DRL leads. (This will turn on your normal beam headlights at all times.)

If you decide to go without a relay harness, you can just forgo the DRLs all together (take out the fuse). You can either run your car without DRLs completely (I do this), or just turn on your headlights every time you drive, and you'll drive with your regular headlights all the time.

I have retrofit projectors that I made... Acura TSX projectors. I decided to go without the Bixenon function because I don't care about DRLs.
...and Bixenon is more expensive, more complicated and I worried about the Bixenon fitting behind the headlight assembly, considering how tightly packed our engine compartments are.

customlightz fit a quad projector retrofit in the 2012 civic a while back

i suggest you to put Halogen Xenon style, like EUROLIGHt or Nokian... its look like... but it will work with the DRL...

A relay harness will not solve your issue as a relay harness still relies on the OEM high beam headlight harness to trigger the relay. If the harness does not supply the relay with a constant 12V then the relay will chatter and the lights will flicker. You would need to use a capacitor to modulate the power going to the relay and prevent it from chattering. The only caveat would be that the high beams will not shut off right away as you will need to wait for the capacitor to discharge before the relay actually releases.

Steve

in my civic, my right side hid flickers at idle (low beams).... cant figure this out, no wiring is loose. would a harness fix this problem?

Back