K24 swap in an LX

Jake LXer

Jaykwabee and the R18
New York
Vehicle Model
civic
Body Style
sedan
So I've been thinking about swaps recently and i was wondering if engine bays are the same dimension throughout all 9th gen models? Anyone know if there would be any fitment issues besides engine & trans mount locations?

Also not sure if this is the right section for this post if not can it be moved

You probably don't want to hear this, but you'd be better off trading in for the si. It'll swap over into the lx with motor mounts, but there is so much more to it than just the engine/trans. Axles, suspension, rotors/entire braking system....interior changes for the shift boot/knob etc. Unless you can get your hands on all of the parts for next to nothing and plan on doing the labor yourself, you'd spend significantly less swapping vehicles.

Yea i'd be doing it with my uncle and brother and once my warranty is up I'm gonna purchase a daily and will make my LX a project car since it's payed off, maybe film it and make some youtube monies while I'm at it

You probably don't want to hear this, but you'd be better off trading in for the si. It'll swap over into the lx with motor mounts, but there is so much more to it than just the engine/trans. Axles, suspension, rotors/entire braking system....interior changes for the shift boot/knob etc. Unless you can get your hands on all of the parts for next to nothing and plan on doing the labor yourself, you'd spend significantly less swapping vehicles.
Sorry to say it but I have to agree with @webby. It doesn't seem worth it with all of the upgrades you get from a stock Si.

I have to agree too. With modern cars it's just not as easy as it used to. You'd also need a new ECU and other electronics. Best bet would be to find a totaled donor can with body damage to harvest all the parts from.

Why not build a turbo build instead?

Well me and my uncle have been talking about building a car for a while now, it'd really be just to build it and track it...I contemplated just a turbo build also but i feel like i wouldn't enjoy it as much after rebuilding the motor and adding a little bit of power, the K24 is a monster of a platform and readily available and seeing the numbers some of these guys are putting out is just awesome

Yeah, as a fellow LX owner who researched and explored all avenues of swaps.... don't do it. You will spend way more than just trading in and buying an SI. There are some major hurdles to overcome and with the new iMid systems you will have some major wiring harness issues not to mention swapping out a lot of suspension components.

If you want more power the Jackson SC kit should be what you're looking at.

Well money isn't an issue for this, I know the jackson kit would only be giving me a power output of the mid 200's for a crazy amount of money.....i would end up just swapping the engine/trans, subframe and other suspension items and continuing the swap with a turbo build as with the imid it would totally be eliminated because honestly the car might end up being a trailer queen going from track to track

I'm all for motor swaps and wanna do one myself but I have trouble in seeing the point of making an Si out of an LX, that already exists. LS swaps in a miata or 240sx or like suggested an older really light weight civic with a k20 boosted would seem like money better spent. Not talking down about doing your swap and I know you say money isn't a problem but why spend more money than needed to make a car that is produced from a manufacture. To each their own though

Why buy an Si...when you can build one!!! muahahaha frankenstein LX, but it would really be for the sake of literally building the car, a real project. Also don't forget this car is going to be chopped up and gutted for track purposes, i couldn't see myself doing that to an Si, it's too nice of a car IMO

It could be done and would be awsome I remember a guy from 8th civic that did a type R swap in his Lx like 7 years ago, it was unique and amazing.. But it cost him like 16k, if you dont mind that you would have a baddass 9th gen.. I found some old pics I had on my computer but I wasnt able to find the video he posted, this was legit done no photoshop or anything!

It was a real sleeper...

I feel you on building something from scratch. That's why I would start with something older and lighter. Then swap for a bigger engine and new tech.

16k dumped into a 9th gen Si would make it beyond a monster, to each their own. I would look into a v6 swap if money wasn't an issue for me

If you really want to build a car with a K24, I would highly suggest buying an NB miata. There is a k-swap available for it. Then you can build a Honda engine and have an excellent project car to work with. Miatas in good shape are $5-7K and then you can play with whichever K-series you want to try and build.

The cost of the Jackson kit is going to be less than a K swap on your car. You will also have issues trying to mount a clutch pedal in the car. Also the LX has drum brakes in the rear and the Si comes with discs. The cost is going to be prohibitive to the point that you could buy an Si and build that engine completely.

https://kmiata.com

If your current car is a manual, you could definitely get in the 300's with the KW SC kit. You would need a couple custom parts but its definitely do-able.

What I would do: Buy Miata and K24 block K20 head. Its RWD and the support for that platform is crazy. Not to mention cheap.

or: Build your current engine. The swap will be a terrible headache/pain.

Kraftwerks R18 SC kit (the jackson kit is the same but the KW kit comes with larger injectors. 550 vs 450)

Custom intake manifold/Weapon R IM. Custom is probably better but eh, $$ and time.

Battery relocation - drop the intake down where a true CAI would go with larger piping. Look at the stock SC kit pics and you can see the terrible intake placement due to the battery.

Integra DC5 K20 LSD - The gut should fit the R18 transmissions current diff. Takes a little custom work but you can get the mechanism in there.

There are pistons and rods available for the R18 from crower/eagle/wiseco/pauter @420Coupe should be able to help with specifics.

Pickup the RV6 "header" and run a full 2.5" exhaust all the way.

Change the pulley and run a MAP sensor instead of the MAF to push the boost over 10psi.

I suspect that would probably put you in the high 200/low 300s for HP.

Back