LEDs?

hwasa

Long Beach, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Can you put in LED brake lights/reverse lights/fog lights in without any kind of adapter?

Yes, only turn signals will cause problems as you will need to install resistors in order to simulate a halogen lamp.
If you don't, your turn signal will blink as if you had one burnt.

if it can help, here are the bulbs I bought for my 2012 EX sedan (for 2013, only the dome lights changes I think...):
Dome: White 31MM Festoon Interior LED Light 3528 6SMD
Backup: 7443 9 5630 SMD LED Auto Marker Light Signal Lamp White 7444 992A
Trunk and license plate: T10 1210 5 SMD Bulbs Side Car Light 194 168 W5W LED Wedge 3528 12V
Foglights: AGPtek®2x H11 DRL Fog Light LED 30W 6000K Super Bright White Projection 2014

They all work great. I especially recommends the backup upgrade as you will get a lot more output than the stock bulbs...

Where have you been?:wavey: Haven't seen you around here for a while. we don't bite:wink1:

Hey! I started my first semester in college and I've been pretty busy and away from my car:violin: I'll try to remember to stop by more often! Thinking about trying a retrofit over winter break. Do you still have your si?

if it can help, here are the bulbs I bought for my 2012 EX sedan (for 2013, only the dome lights changes I think...):
Trunk and license plate: T10 1210 5 SMD Bulbs Side Car Light 194 168 W5W LED Wedge 3528 12V
Foglights: AGPtek®2x H11 DRL Fog Light LED 30W 6000K Super Bright White Projection 2014

They all work great. I especially recommends the backup upgrade as you will get a lot more output than the stock bulbs...

Thanks! That's really helpful!

Hey! I started my first semester in college and I've been pretty busy and away from my car:violin: I'll try to remember to stop by more often! Thinking about trying a retrofit over winter break. Do you still have your si?

What's your major and how many classes are you taking?

Yeah I'm still driving the same car.:meh:

Just got around to installing some of these today. I installed the LED license plate light and they actually didn't work. The reverse light bulb is nearly impossible to remove unless you have small hands or remove the housing so I skipped those. Probably a bad idea, but I figured the reverse light and the taillight would be the same bulb so I installed the LED in the brake light. The output was worse than stock so I just reinstalled the stock bulbs but one of them somehow burned out when I took them out so I guess now I need new brake light bulbs lol.. Should I just order another stock one or are there any halogen brake light bulbs better than stock? Have yet to install the fog lights. Hopefully they work lol. Thanks in advance for replies.

Just got around to installing some of these today. I installed the LED license plate light and they actually didn't work. The reverse light bulb is nearly impossible to remove unless you have small hands or remove the housing so I skipped those. Probably a bad idea, but I figured the reverse light and the taillight would be the same bulb so I installed the LED in the brake light. The output was worse than stock so I just reinstalled the stock bulbs but one of them somehow burned out when I took them out so I guess now I need new brake light bulbs lol.. Should I just order another stock one or are there any halogen brake light bulbs better than stock? Have yet to install the fog lights. Hopefully they work lol. Thanks in advance for replies.
his pics are a few posts down from the top. Did you follow this?
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/diy-led-license-plate-and-reverse-lights-2013-civic-si-sedan.8536/

Last edited:

Be careful what kind of LED's you use for your rear license plate light. I found out recently that here in Ohio, state law only allows for white lights, and ironically around the same time I saw a huge number of people running blue lights where their stock rear plate lights were, who where pulled over and forced to change it back, supposedly because since the law first changed I see a lot less blue LED's in that spot, lol.

Update here on led bulbs for brake light.
I just installed both of them in my taillight and my cruise control stopped working.
Now I need to reinstall halogen bulbs back in the housing (and buy another one as I broke the filament in one of the OEM bulb).
Turns out that the cruise control uses the ground signal of the brake bulbs in order to work...

Another update here;
I removed the LEDs for the corners of my taillight. The fact that the bulbs doesn't illuminate in a 360° angle removes the pattern that the taillight assembly usually creates.
This gives a less illuminated look to the rear of my car.

TL;DR
I now only have the following LEDs bulb on my car:
Backup (2)
License plate (1)
Fog light (2)
Dome light (3)

Update here on led bulbs for brake light.
I just installed both of them in my taillight and my cruise control stopped working.
Now I need to reinstall halogen bulbs back in the housing (and buy another one as I broke the filament in one of the OEM bulb).
Turns out that the cruise control uses the ground signal of the brake bulbs in order to work...
they make led bulbs in a lot of different configurations. I don't know what yours looked like, but you can get ones that have LEDs in all different angles. Something like this where each side and the top have them.

bI6muzQ.jpg

I just want to let everyone know that the Backup lights that are suggested here would not fit in the hole. The top of it is too wide. I tried on my 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan.

IDK if the 2013 sedan light socket is different from the 2012, but it does fit in my 2012 EX sedan.

Back