Modifications Voiding Warranties

Sinub

Southern California
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section but I purchased a brand new Si a couple of weeks ago and I know most modifications void the warranties(on the clutch, transmission, etc.) it came with except cosmetics on the car. So if anyone knows what kind of tunings or interior modifications I can do that would most likely not void these warranties I would really appreciate it, thanks.

I've never seen a single instance of it causing an issue. The only issue I've ever seen was user error. A few users have downshifted into the wrong gear/ blew their motor by over-revving. That would happen regardless of the hondata on the ecu. There isn't anything stopping the car from being downshifted into... say 2nd gear doing 100mph. If you do that, then it doesn't matter what software is on the ecu. It's going to blow

Well obviously that won't be covered by the warranty but since I'm new at stick(I got it down now though) the first week I'm pretty sure I wore down the clutch and hopefully they can replace it after a couple of years of mostly wear and tear but how would I be able to prove to the dealer I purchased it from the any problems with the car wasn't caused by the ECU and by mostly normal every day use.

Unfortunately the clutch is a wear & tear item like tires or brakes. The dealership will not replace the clutch under warranty, unless there is something physically wrong with the clutch itself.

Alright thanks for the help man but I have one more question, would you recommend getting the ECU even though I haven't even had my Si for a month(I'm thinking of getting it sometime in September though) or would you recommend getting it later on after a year or so?

Well, it kind of depends on what you're looking to do with your car, and what your budget may be? Flashpro should be coming out from hondata in the near future. That will allow for custom tuning based on aftermarket parts. The hondata reflash is a single tune that cannot be altered. If you see yourself buying a lot of different performance mods, it may be worth waiting for the hondata flashpro (probably around $700). If you just see yourself buying an intake or something down the road, but keeping the rest of the car stock....just go with a reflash. Users have been pretty happy with it's ability to get rid of the rev hang, and also give you extra performance.

I have a budget of around 600$ to use on the car atm so not that much but I was thinking later on of modifying the suspension and adding a turbo or catback exhaust system and a header but that's mostly what I wanted to do with it.

I would go with the reflash then. For example, the full-race catback exhaust is 600 without shipping by itself. If you decide to mod a bunch of things down the road, you can always upgrade to flashpro if you wish.

So if I get the regular ECU I can later on get the reflash? And still be able to get the catback exhaust system after I get the reflash?

Hondata usually has 2 items:
  • reflash - 1 tune / no customization ($295)
  • flashpro - multiple tunes, data logging, customized maps & many features for turbo/sc builds ($695)
You can do intakes/exhausts...(mods) on the reflash without any issue. You just cannot take the car to a shop and have them make a custom tune on the dyno or anything. You're using the 1 tune that hondata has put on the ecu. With flashpro, it's like a blank slate. You can basically set your car up any way you want. With dyno tuning though, you can easily spend $500+ on one dyno tuning session, and still have to make additional trips for adjustments. But, for those who are running complex turbo setups or all motor builds... it's what you do to get your car running it's best.

Damn seems all so confusing but I really want to learn about all this before I go doing anything to my car, and so is the flashpro tune out yet? since earlier you said it would be coming out soon and on the website it says Hondata Flashpro, and where would I go get the tuning at?

flashpro is not out as of yet for the 2012 civic si. They have it available for other model years though. Tuning totally depends on where you live. If you post up your info, users can give you advise on where you could go. If you're not near a shop, there are places that will do tuning by email. You provide data logs of your car, and they adjust the info. You update the new info to your car, and do more data logging etc.

watch over this vid - shows the flashpro unit on an 8th generation civic and how things are adjusted

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2fLKOtchso

If I get the normal Reflash though will I still be able to get the flashpro later on? and I leave in Southern California Orange County, and out of how do you look at the data logs of your car? A link would help if it's to long to explain

You can get the hondata flashpro at any time. That is not a problem.

Church's automotive is highly regarded in the LA area. I know hondata has done stuff with them, and they've had many dyno days/tuning days for various honda/acura forums.
http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/id1.html
http://www.yelp.com/biz/church-automotive-consulting-wilmington

other people local to you would need to chime in on other shops they've had experience with.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=church+automotive

data logs are kept on the flashpro unit.

images

you plug it into your computer usb to view the data. He messes with it in one of the vids I posted

Back