My pistons and rings are being replaced

Hmmm not feeling to good about this. I haven't had any problems, my mechanic hasn't said anything to me, but I do fall in range with this one.
Have "you" been monitoring your oil usage ................ My opinion is you shouldn't have to add more than a quarter of a quart of oil in 3000 to 5000 miles..... After the 1st 5000 miles.

Have "you" been monitoring your oil usage ................ My opinion is you shouldn't have to add more than a quarter of a quart of oil in 3000 to 5000 miles..... After the 1st 5000 miles.
No I don't, I have the shop next to mine change it every 3k miles ( we aren't mechanics)
how many miles do you have on the car?
15k, I used to drive far for work and school.. Only had the car since April

Check your dipstick and see where the oil level is at. Run the car for a couple of minutes & turn it off. Take the dipstick out / wipe it off. Put it back in, and pull it back out. Look at where the level is in relation to the two dots on the stick.

My dealer basically went on my word, which is here say to them. I told them that at 4700 miles my dipstick just barely had anything on it when the car was warmed up, and that after changing it then, at 7800 miles the dipstick had fallen from just over the upper mark to just above the lower mark, both when warm. That was enough for them to look at it and stick a bore scope into the cylinders.

I don't know what they saw with the scope, but I'm wondering if Honda NA's stance has become, "if customer complains about oil loss, and car is in the TSB range, just scope it". I also don't know what the saw with the scope that made them decide this course of action, but when I get the full scoop I'll post the info.

By the way, how much oil does it take to go from the bottom hole to the top hole ? Answer.... 1 Quart......... Even if you don't check it yourself, ask who you get to do it for you to tell you if they had to top the oil off and how much it needed....... I'd ask them before they do it, so they'll be thinking about it.

Not directing this to anyone in potickular but to check the oil buy the book.......... level ground / after the engine is warm / turn it off and "wait 5 minites" / pull stick(as webby said) wipe it off , put it "all" the way back in / then pull it out again to look at the oil line between the two hole marks / one quart between the holes........

Checking the oil is the owner's responsibility. My owner's manual says that I should check the oil level at every fill up. I've since discovered that means checking it every week. Not a big deal.

It's also good to look inside your engine compartment, and familiarize yourself with how everything else should usually look. This can save some heartache and money too by allowing you to prevent an issue from becoming a disaster.

When I was at the Dragon in September, I was looking under the hood every day, because of the intensity of driving. One of those times I noticed that the clutch fluid reservior was nearly empty, and there were signs of leakage around the cap.

I immediately went to a local auto store, bought $5 worth of DOT 4 fluid. After filling it, I realized that one of the mechanics must not have screwed the lid on properly, and the fluid was leaking out as a result. It was fine after that.

Who knows what could have happened, where I could have been stuck (middle of nowhere), and the towing bill I would have paid. Not to mention the lost time dealing with all of that, instead of enjoying my vacation.

Checking the oil is the owner's responsibility. My owner's manual says that I should check the oil level at every fill up. I've since discovered that means checking it every week. Not a big deal.

It's also good to look inside your engine compartment, and familiarize yourself with how everything else should usually look. This can save some heartache and money too by allowing you to prevent an issue from becoming a disaster.

When I was at the Dragon in September, I was looking under the hood every day, because of the intensity of driving. One of those times I noticed that the clutch fluid reservior was nearly empty, and there were signs of leakage around the cap.

I immediately went to a local auto store, bought $5 worth of DOT 4 fluid. After filling it, I realized that one of the mechanics must not have screwed the lid on properly, and the fluid was leaking out as a result. It was fine after that.

Who knows what could have happened, where I could have been stuck (middle of nowhere), and the towing bill I would have paid. Not to mention the lost time dealing with all of that, instead of enjoying my vacation.

Your right. I do look around the bay because I clean it a lot. But I guess I put too much trust into the guys that maintain my drivetrain. I'm going to start monitoring this better because I love this car. Do you guys prefer dealer over local mechanics?

"Your right. I do look around the bay because I clean it a lot. But I guess I put too much trust into the guys that maintain my drivetrain. I'm going to start monitoring this better because I love this car. Do you guys prefer dealer over local mechanics?"

One over the other isn't always clear........ One thing about choosing is, do we as drivers know enough to pick a local mechanic and know they're better then the dealer...... As for picking the dealer, in Hondas case I'd trust them more so than any local mechanic........ Honda teaches their people and they have the special tools/equipment to service our cars, and if the "local" mechanic is a lot cheaper than Honda there's usually a good reason for it......... I take mine to the Honda dealer....

Having a shop do the oil changes won't tell you much. They usually do not look at your oil levels prior to changing the oil. I've never seen a shop look at oil levels prior to doing an oil change at least. They throw the drain pan below the car...loosen the bolt and let it drain. They aren't measuring the oil or seeing what comes out. They throw a new filter on and then start putting oil in.

Yea I was talking to a friend and decided to stop being lazy and just do it myself since I intend on keeping this car once the lease is up

2unu8enu.jpg

I got the car back last night. The whole car just feels different. I know I have to keep in mind that it needs to break in all over again. It feels "tighter" like it doesn't want to rev, but I kept it under 4,000 rpm the whole ride home anyhow. It feels like power is down, and it has a bit of a different sound to it. I'm hoping things turn back to normal after I let it break in for a while.

As for the rev hang, I got the classic "we found no update for your car" response. To make it worse, the hang seems to be worse than ever. If you shift at over 3,000 rpm, it hangs for a solid 3-4 seconds now, where it used to seem more like 1-2. It's like I need to relearn how to shift it all over again. I have no idea what they could have done that would cause it, so maybe it was that bad before and I was just used to it.

any chance you can have someone record you while you're driving to see the hang or how it sounds?

It's kind of funny... Honda used to tell you that 1qt every 1k miles was normal in the B series days. And boy let me tell you, my B18c loves it's oil.

It's kind of funny... Honda used to tell you that 1qt every 1k miles was normal in the B series days. And boy let me tell you, my B18c loves it's oil.

I can understand that most companies might find it cheaper/easier to say something is normal when it isn't. Fortunately in today's modern communication era it's easier to find a truthful average. I've had 3 Honda MC's and different cars since 1962 and none of them ever used more than a quarter of a quart of oil between 3 & 5000 miles. And most of which I've put high milage on them.

That's kind of what I was getting at. In the B series days Honda didn't do jack about the oil consumption. Feel fortunate that they're addressing it now on the newer vehicles.

Back