Official Computer Talk Thread

So... I bought a 512GB SSD on Thursday.. I now have 3 SSD's :giggle:

I have a new work office (not at headquarters anymore) but it feels like a jail cell... (not that I've been to jail)

Here is the work Battlestation. (I should make a thread for "battlestations" like on my Subaru forum)

IMAG0355_BURST0031_zps4ae0d2cb.jpg

Edit: I would have used IMGUR but it's blocked at work... :unamused:

Mis-matched monitors. :confused:

I had to deal with that for a while. One was wide and one was standard (4:3). Moving Excel windows from one to the other would always drive me nuts...I work in Excel all day long.

Mis-matched monitors. :confused:

I had to deal with that for a while. One was wide and one was standard (4:3). Moving Excel windows from one to the other would always drive me nuts...I work in Excel all day long.

I'm confused... :confused: They are the same Dell 19" monitors.

Edit: Oh! I think I know what you see. You see the Dell sound bar at the bottom of the right monitor. Correct?

Thanks. So it's IMGUR but redirected?

I'm confused... :confused: They are the same Dell 19" monitors.

Edit: Oh! I think I know what you see. You see the Dell sound bar at the bottom of the right monitor. Correct?

Thanks. So it's IMGUR but redirected?
Yeah, plus the angle makes the right one not look as wide. Stupid tiny pics on the phone.

it's an imgur mirror for people who have it blocked at their work/school whatever. There are plugins for browsers that even convert imgur links to filmot on the fly.

Anyone else is waiting for GTX 880 GPU to come out? Last week I built my first PC on my own. I will upload some pics with specs when I got home.

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
Case - Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Windowed Gaming Case with two 140mm red LED fans

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
HDD - Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
Mouse/keyboard - Logitech MK520 Black USB RF Wireless Ergonomic Combo
MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Optical drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
GPU - SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ( I bought this card lasy year for my HP PC and I think it is still a decent card. I will eventually buy the GTX 880 at the end of this year.

Last edited:
Its still a nice card.

I find no need for a GTX 880. Not doing anything that requires it.

got a conundrum for you guys. I have a little i3 based system that runs my home theater, its tapped into a SiliconDust HDHomerun prime networked 3 tuner cable device, runs windows 7 professional. SSD for os and programs, mechanical drive for recording, 4tb external to place the ripped episodes. The whole thing is mostly automated, i use windows media center to manage the recording as a backend to XBMC. Recorded shows are then picked up shortly after recording finishes by MCEBuddy which scans them, pulls commercials and takes the windows media center files and converts them to mkv with 5.1 audio and original broadcast resolution.

tonight randomly my computer has decided that its mkv files are no longer viable, XBMC cant play them and VLC shows me a black screen with the vlc icon and no sound. the computer does do windows updates on its own and as usual system restore doesnt work

The mkv files play perfectly fine on another computer, just not on this one. Any thoughts?

i kinda got frustrated with it, wiped the drive and reinstalled. its usually pretty quick to do since all the video files are on a external and this computer does dvr and nothing else

did the reinstallation resolve it?

not sure yet, i went to bed while the computer was doing updates, its still got more to go

got vlc installed and same issue as before

Last edited:
Anyone else is waiting for GTX 880 GPU to come out? Last week I built my first PC on my own. I will upload some pics with specs when I got home.

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
Case - Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Windowed Gaming Case with two 140mm red LED fans

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K
HDD - Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM
Mouse/keyboard - Logitech MK520 Black USB RF Wireless Ergonomic Combo
MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
OS - Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Optical drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
GPU - SAPPHIRE 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ( I bought this card lasy year for my HP PC and I think it is still a decent card. I will eventually buy the GTX 880 at the end of this year.

Edit

15196615431_ca42818082_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I liked my 212 EVO CPU cooler that I had. For how inexpensive it is it definitely cooled the CPU nicely!

clean install had the same issue as before, im wiping and reinstalling again, going to download newest copies of everything from sources instead of saved downloads. The files play and look fine on my mac, its only on the HTPC build that they dont function. media info acts like its a partial file on the pc, no audio tracks or anything, but on the mac its a complete and functional file, sees ac3 codec audio.

at least i can play the files somewhere i guess

Whats odd is this isnt just a couple files here and there, its every broadcast recording going back to november, the software to process all of it has changed a couple times throughout

i used to have something similar, back when i was using pcs more. This comp is pretty straight forward though, once its done updates it gets VLC, DIVX, XBMC, WMC-XBMC back end interface, MCE Buddy for ripping mkvs of recordings, software for the tv tuner and the ac3 codec pack and thats really it. This box does nothing but pretend to be a cable box

mysteries continue, second wipe and reinstall, all seems to work so far, divx and vlc are the only installed programs at the moment

Its still a nice card.

I find no need for a GTX 880. Not doing anything that requires it.

Not sure if this card will be able to handle Project Cars, GTA 5 and all other games coming out this year.

Back