Official Computer Talk Thread

My work....

photobucket-26424-1329846485450.jpg
Your monitors are on top of stacked sticky note packs?

Your monitors are on top of stacked sticky note packs?

They are just regular note pads.....sticky pads would cost too much and I would get the purchase request denied. Just like a true monitor stand would get denied and would be told...."Why do you need them for?"

They are just regular note pads.....sticky pads would cost too much and I would get the purchase request denied. Just like a true monitor stand would get denied and would be told...."Why do you need them for?"

Well if you have problems viewing it since it's not low/high enough for you that could cause neck problems lol ;)

I said that but they still do not want to spend a dime.

I have the exact same laptop that were used in 'Operation Geronimo'.
ht_obamas_presidential_day_110502_wg.jpg

I used to build computers at a high end gamers and overclockers Shop here in Winnipeg. My last system i built for myself while working there was a overclocked P4 2.4 C, had the new at the time corsair ram with the LED's on the tops of the modules, had it water cooled with a tranny cooler as a radiator, had the interior of the case powder coated white and had the outside of the case painted at a body shop base coat / clear coat dark titanium. That machine actually lasted me almost 7 years before the raid controller crapped out in it and i had to replace it.
here is a list of the hardware that was in this machine at time of building ( remember that this is 2002 or so)

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mother Board
2 36 gig Western Digital Raptors (Striped)
2 500 gig sata Hard Drives for storage
Ati 9800 XT
Antec True Blue power supply
2 1 Gig corsair PC4000 w/LED
Plextor CVC Burner

and here are a few of the pics of it when it was assembled

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

CaseRear.jpg

At the time the machine was $5000 no monitor, or keyboard or mouse, thought that it was totally insane and a waste of money but in the long run it paid off, this machine ran rock solid overclocked to 3 Ghz for almost 7 years before it finally gave up the ghost and at that time i was still saying i had no need to replace it cause it was still a fast machine, only lacked a bit in video editing and rar files. Replaced it with a store bought Acer with a quad core i7 w/8 gigs of ram and dual 22" Samsung wide screens. I find the new machine slower in alot of things but unless i want to swap hard drives i am just gonna have to live with it.

I remember when PC hardware was very expensive! Stuff has came down tremendously! That's good tho

I remember the Corsair RAM with the LEDs on top!! I had a set.

I hate Acers. Lol. I remember when a gig of ram went for over $75. Now you can get 4gb of ram for around $50 or less.

My PC is not much to speak of but I just got done installing a new Samsung security system in my office and I love it! It was so easy, just plug & play...after I ran all the wires through the ceiling anyways.

eaf188a1.jpg

PC is just a HP Pavillion HPE with HP 2310m monitor. Not sure of the exact specs, it was the best HP in stock at Micro Center :)

security cams setup to record off the pc hard drives?

Actually the monitor has a built in DVR but yes it will be tied into my network so anyone can look at it on their PC when they hear someone come in the office.

ah, so that monitor is specific to the security package you bought. Is it monitored by an outside company at all, or it's more about just having a video feed of certain areas for the business?

Yea the monitor is part of the package, the box only contained the 4 cameras and the monitor/DVR. It has an ethernet port on the back so its easy to tie it to our network, once I get another ethernet jack dropped in my office. I'm buying some monitors today so each PC in the office will now have dual monitors with one designated for the cameras.

Oh gotcha. Family business.

I took some pictures of my PC/setup. Will post later after I get home from watching fireworks.

I'm not a fan of this desk but it works...

IMG_20120629_224822.jpg

IMG_20120629_224841.jpg

IMG_20120629_224853.jpg

I actually did some better cable management inside the case and had to move the optical drive down one slot so this pictures are from Friday and I should take new ones lol

I picture that pc having a pretty loud hum to it with the venting/case fan setup.

Back