Speaker wire

Discussion in 'Audio Setups & Aftermarket Head Units' started by GeoUCF14, Aug 28, 2017.

1. GeoUCF14

GeoUCF14 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Those that wired in an aftermarket amplifier and kept the stock head unit; did you reuse the stock wiring harness speaker wires (now powered by the aftermarket amplifier), or did you run new speaker wires directly from the aftermarket amplifier to the speaker location (bypassing the original wiring/speaker harness)? Does anybody know what gauge the stock speaker wires are? The amplifier I have is JL Audio XD 700/5 (75watts x 4 + 300 x 1, all at RMS power).
    Thanks

2. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

3. freggie

freggie Well-Known Member

Most people would use the factory speaker wires and even installing new speakers, most people use the factory wiring.

4. Marc Meyers

Marc Meyers Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Coupe
    Body Style:
    EX
    I don't know for sure but, I thinks the stock speaker wire is less than 18 gauge, I ran new 16 gauge to all. I found going down the passenger side with all easiest. Be ware The bottom door piece has a hook modeled into the back end of it, I broke it. And the doors aren't easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GeoUCF14

GeoUCF14 Well-Known Member

Thanks

6. MaddogFo20

MaddogFo20 New Member

I'm replacing my front door speakers on my 2013 honda civic coupe and the driver side wires I exposed after cutting wire harness off that hooked into speaker I had no issues with finding which was positive/ negative. My problem is on the passenger wires after I cut off wire harness for speaker are 2 different colors than the driver side. So I dont know how to find positive/ negative on passenger side. Any help would be appreciated

7. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

There are speaker wiring diagrams/colors in this thread that should help
    http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-audio-wiring-guide-pinouts-for-factory-radio.5916/