thinking about pioneer 80prs...

Do tweeters need as much amplification as the mids? I am unsure about this part since it seems like giving tweets ~100watts would be unnecessary but I would guess that needs to be adjust by gain and other adjustments. And what did you mean by the last question. If I ditch the OEM system altogether I would be using preouts to amp then amp to speakers correct?

You asked about powering the tweeters off of the head unit in an earlier post. Why would you not want to do this through the amp with the other speakers? Otherwise, your balance (levels) will be off. You will be underpowering your tweeters in relation to the rest of the speakers. Also, remember that a good amp will give you a better quality signal than the amp in any head unit. If you are looking for the best possible sound quality, why would you want to run the tweeters through the head unit?

I am unsure as to what an active crossover is/how it works with this head unit. Are they a feature used for adjustments with the preouts only? With the amplified lines out? Or both?

I was curious if a tweeter would balance well off the head unit. It doesn't take a lot for tweeters to get loud. But you are correct, better sound would be had from an amp.

I am unsure how the crossovers work also. I would have to assume if pioneer is advertising it as active then it would be to the preouts. I am still trying to get an idea of what I want to do. I am gonna start buying components soon and the head unit will probably be last to see what alpine is going to do and hopefully the price will have come down by the time I am ready to get a head unit.

I may have to go the external amp route for all my speakers. I think I am hearing some line noise, but I am still trying to isolate it and it is driving me nuts.

so 2 2ch amps for mids/tweets or one 4ch amp for front stage? i am guessing a 4ch amp would presumably be cheaper and more balanced but i am also considering the possibility of future breakdown/replacement and possibly putting one 2ch amp under each seat.

lol. stuff for car audio is more overwhelming than home audio. part of the reason i have never had a true system in my vehicle but the stock system is lacking big time and makes me wonder if i have the premium how bad is the regular OEM unit. ugh.

oh another great question. i plan on taking my car apart and dampening it in the next month or so. would it be of great convenience and money saved when installation time comes to run my power from battery through the grommet in the floor and run the length to the back of my car and couple extra feet for hahas? what guage should it be? 0 or 2? i am trying to simplify this for when it's time to piece the entire puzzle together. and what kind of harness kits and extras would i need? i think i will end with a 4ch jlaudio amp probably, possibly alpine, or if i find some other great brand online with some power and reliability. what guage speakers should i run for speakers. i am guessing the oem wire will be insufficient if i have 100-150watts powering them.

so 2 2ch amps for mids/tweets or one 4ch amp for front stage? i am guessing a 4ch amp would presumably be cheaper and more balanced but i am also considering the possibility of future breakdown/replacement and possibly putting one 2ch amp under each seat.

lol. stuff for car audio is more overwhelming than home audio. part of the reason i have never had a true system in my vehicle but the stock system is lacking big time and makes me wonder if i have the premium how bad is the regular OEM unit. ugh.

Car audio definitely has endless possibilities. I would go with a 4X1 personally. I don't really see the benefit of separate amps.

If you have the interior torn apart, I highty recommend running wire for the future. I am not sure about gauges as I have not done the research yet. That will depend on ohms/watts of the amp and speakers. You will need the power wire from the battery with an inline fuse, a remote wire for the amp/s, and RCA cables for each preout. Make sure to run the RCAs on the opposite side of the car as the power wire. Otherwise, you will most likely introduce a hum into your speakers.

Last edited:
Back