turning fog lights on with high beam switch

9thgendymo

Houston, TX
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Coupe
Hello guys,

I just bought a set of fog lights from Ebay and my friend says he could install it for me.

but since the proper installation takes about 2-3 hours bc of all the wiring, he says he will wire the fog lights with high beams so I would lose the high beams, but turn on the fog lights by using the high beam switch.

I'm wondering if this will drain more power from the battery and I end up with a dead battery.

If anyone's familiar with these kind of wiring, can you please pitch in your opinion?

Thank you very much!

For my LX - we didn't wanna touch the fire wall we so tapped it with the head lamps and fogs would turn on when the head lamps turn on.
I would imagine that it would be inconvenient to leave the light switcher on the high beam state since you have to use it for turn signals as well.

For my LX - we didn't wanna touch the fire wall we so tapped it with the head lamps and fogs would turn on when the head lamps turn on.
I would imagine that it would be inconvenient to leave the light switcher on the high beam state since you have to use it for turn signals as well.

So I am assuming there's no severe usage of the battery by connecting your fogs to your headlights?

Does it drain about the same amount of energy just as using "properly installed" fog lights?

Thanks,

Hello guys,

I just bought a set of fog lights from Ebay and my friend says he could install it for me.

but since the proper installation takes about 2-3 hours bc of all the wiring, he says he will wire the fog lights with high beams so I would lose the high beams, but turn on the fog lights by using the high beam switch.

I'm wondering if this will drain more power from the battery and I end up with a dead battery.

If anyone's familiar with these kind of wiring, can you please pitch in your opinion?

Thank you very much!

1) You want fogs to work with low beams not high - high beams in fog will "blind" you. Just wire them (fogs and High Beams) to come on together - I never turn my fogs off.
2) Battery dying isn't an issue if the motor is running. Don't imagine an overload on the circuit breaker unless you are installing 100w or higher lamps.

1) You want fogs to work with low beams not high - high beams in fog will "blind" you. Just wire them (fogs and High Beams) to come on together - I never turn my fogs off.
2) Battery dying isn't an issue if the motor is running. Don't imagine an overload on the circuit breaker unless you are installing 100w or higher lamps.

What my friend was telling me that he's going to pull out the high beam in the fusebox and sub it with fog lights that way whenever I turn on high beams, my fogs with turn on instead and I would lose the function of high beams..

But I think what you're recommending is actually a lot better for me that way I can use both lows, fogs, AND highs...

The only reason he's trying to connect it to the high beams, is because he doesnt wanna mess with the wiring cause he doesnt know it that well haha
Do you think wiring it to the low beams is fairly easy?

Thank you,!

The fog lights are connected in a parallel circuit with the headlights, which is the same as the OEM circuit except without a switch.
I put them with the head lights and not on the battery because I think the fog lights don't really do much during the day time.

The fog lights are connected in a parallel circuit with the headlights, which is the same as the OEM circuit except without a switch.
I put them with the head lights and not on the battery because I think the fog lights don't really do much during the day time.
Ohhhh!!! So you're saying connect the fog lights to the low beam since you won't be using low beams nor the fog lights during the day ! That's smart! Is that a fairly easy job compared to putting it into high beams? I hope my friend knows how to do it since hes worked at a body shop before haha

Back