vanity plates that may need reconsidering

GlXCe.sized.jpg

:shady:

change of mind :clapping:

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) - According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Nevada ranks fourth in the nation for the highest number of vanity plates, per capita. Tuesday night we showed you one plate the DMV allowed for four years, and then out of nowhere, the owners were told to change it. But now the DMV is having a change of heart.
The now infamous "LMAOATU" license plate is a popular acronym for anyone who's been the web in the last decade. After four years of having the expression on the back of their car, the owners received a letter from the DMV telling them their plate was obscene, offensive and had to go. But by Wednesday morning, the DMV changed their mind.

"I was so happy, I was very, very happy like I said, you know I just want to thank our friends for encouraging us to contact Channel 13," said the car's owner, Brooke Bennett-Manas.

The DMV has restructured how its handling plates that may have slipped through the approval process cracks.
"A plate will be approved unless it is clearly, very clearly falls into one of the prohibited categories. If there's any gray area at all, we will go ahead and approve the plate," DMV spokesman Kevin Malone said.

Under the new process, the decision goes to a higher level within the DMV.
Manas said at the end of the day, the plate is just an inside joke that's not meant to offend anyone. And now she gets to keep laughing.

"Everyone has hard times, might as well laugh about it," she said.

CA DMV Releases List of 100 Banned License Plates

The DMV team in charge of approving California vanity plates has seen it all: vulgarities, prejudice, hostility, sexual innuendos and political statements.
Any of these offenses could keep a license plate from seeing the road.

The plate could be coded with numbers, acronyms or even be written in a foreign language. Submissions can include hearts, stars, plus symbols, hands and spaces.
Plus, the granddaddy of all codes, a plate's message may only be visible when seen in a rearview mirror (think: "3MTA3").

"They'll try to spell it backwards, so the person in the mirror behind you can read it," said Barbara, a member of the DMV's Registration Special Processing Unit.
The four-person team reviews 200-500 plates a day, including Internet submissions, she said.

"It's really hard to say what would offend one person and not offend another person," said Barbara. "'IB6UB9,' would you like to explain that to your kid?"
A few numbers are off limits for plates, such as 13, for its gang association. Fourteen and 88 are banned for their connection to white supremacists, said Barbara.

The team uses search engines, Urban Dictionary, Wikipedia and Google Translation to help find dubious submissions. Between 20-40 plates a day are red flagged for further inspection, said Barbara. That's when the plate gets sent higher up the chain for a focus group with Charlene's team.

The DMV assembles six people with a "wide spectrum of ages and backgrounds and ethnicities," said Charlene, who also did not want her last name used. They're asked a simple question, said Charlene.
"Would you find it offensive?"
How to Decode the List:

• Asterisks (*) denote spaces
  • Slashes (/) denote a half-space
  • "Kids" plates have special characters:
    • # = "Hand" symbol
    • $ = "Heart" symbol
    • & = "Star" symbol
    • + = + ("Plus")

100 Banned California License Plates

1. $CASM88
  2. **BOTO//
  3. *RR88+//
  4. / CJR/88*
  5. /$MY/FB*
  6. /HELBOY/
  7. 14 VNSSA
  8. 1IN/STNK
  9. 2IN/PINK
  10. 42ONERY/
  11. 4Q2 AHSO
  12. 502MGNM
  13. 66JB69*/
  14. 6GUNZ
  15. AGT/ORNJ
  16. ALHAKAM/
  17. ASASIN
  18. ASSI/H*/
  19. B OXOF&S
  20. BAG HAG
  21. BBH/HSLR
  22. BHANGUZ
  23. BLD/MFIA
  24. BLT 1 4
  25. BLWN69Z
  26. BOT$POT
  27. CALI4KR/
  28. CIYC/O13
  29. COP CHSR
  30. CRKR/CRM
  31. CUNHE11/
  32. DAWEENA
  33. DOYRGRL
  34. ETAMPON/
  35. FDABLTS
  36. FKBTCHS/
  37. FOCKERR/
  38. FRNCS/69
  39. FSTMFKR/
  40. FTWOSID
  41. FUQSNAG/
  42. FUUGIIT
  43. G*8*YOU/
  44. GENE14T
  45. GLF*SKS/
  46. HOT14K2/
  47. INFTI14
  48. INFTI3
  49. INFTI4
  50. JIMY THG
  51. JULZMOB/
  52. K13OOS//
  53. KILLXXX
  54. KRZY*OG/
  55. L$VED88/
  56. LADOYER/
  57. LMTFA
  58. LOV SUX
  59. LV*HMRZ/
  60. MDC$PP
  61. MERKTR
  62. MGABDAS
  63. MOBOTAM
  64. MRDR RYD
  65. MS$SXY9
  66. MUF D1VN
  67. NOASSND
  68. NRA*PMS/
  69. NUR KULO
  70. OG HUERA
  71. OG TYLER
  72. OQOOQOO
  73. ORGASEM
  74. PRP/HEYZ
  75. PSP 88
  76. RAZAS SS
  77. RBIGBLK
  78. RHOSIDE
  79. ROLN 666
  80. SFFD 13
  81. SIK BOX
  82. SKAS RYD
  83. SMKN YU
  84. SPDLAB1/
  85. SPTN 14
  86. SSHIKSA/
  87. STAYNHY
  88. STUBALL
  89. SUR SOL
  90. SXSXSX*/
  91. SXXXY3
  92. SYT6688
  93. T& PYE
  94. TBLAZEN
  95. TOM**14/
  96. TOWD 69
  97. TT ANUMM
  98. WTF HAXX
  99. XXXCLBR
  100. YNKSUK*/

I still want BLOW M3... but I'm a good non-resident alien so for now I will rock some witty bumper sticker such as this:
honk%2Bif%2Byou%2Blove.jpg

And just for the foreigner of the northern type:

Funny-License-Plates-Photos.jpg

It appears personalized licence plates can get a little too personal in Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan Government Insurance (SGI) is releasing a list of banned requests for personalized licence plates. Some of the applications SGI receives fall anywhere between 13-year-old humour to downright offensive racial epithets.
Some of the entries are so offensive News Talk Radio has decided not to publish the full list but there are examples that range from entendre to obscure to inexplicable: 12INCHES, ACID, BALLS, URINE, 3RDLEG, and 4PLAY are just a handfull of the nearly-3,000 requests on the list.
Cari Donaldson, assistant vice president of licencing and customer service, has seen them all. Slogans that can be interpreted as sexual, derogatory, ethnic, racial, referencing drugs or alcohol, or any criminal activity will get run past a committee.
“It’s actually quite fun to look at, especially when we just released our seven-character slogans. We had so many come in.”
“Certainly some people can be kind of creative, so we rely on some of our younger team members to know the texting slang,” said Donaldson.

reject.jpg

Back