Very Low MPG New 2015 EX

alxz310

Hello All, I just got a brand new 2015 civic EX with 7 miles on the odometer last month. I've since driven about 500 miles in the car and have been getting much lower than the advertised fuel economy. Most of my driving has been in the city with some traffic (occasionally highway), and I've only averaged about 23.5 MPG (based on manual calculation; iMid has similar numbers). I was wondering if this is normal to get such a low number, or if I should get the car checked at the dealer. I've been running the car with the ECON button on, driving extremely smooth, coasting where possible, accelerating smoothly, with the A/C off. I've checked Fuelly and this kind of number seems to pretty much be non-existent with most people getting at least 27MPG! I am in California if that matters, driving around the Los Angeles area. Thanks!

Seeing as I get about the same in my 15' Si and I ride my car hard into Vtec daily, I'd say it's possible you have some sort of issue. How many miles are on the car now? Is the city driving stop and go or low speed cruising? Long lower speed cruising can actually net great mpg but continues stop and go can kill it. As the motor breaks in and everything gets mated together your mpg should improve. Will it jump 5-10 mpgs or stay the same? No clue. Driving habit's play a huge role as when I first bought the car with 10 miles I babied it for the first few hundred miles and was getting 27-28 mpg with 50/50 city/highway. I'll never know if it has improved since I can't keep my foot out of Vtec lol

I have a 2012 EX.... The only way to see what your car can do is to get on a road where it's continuous flow. Fill your tank and reset your mileage counter, right at the highway entrance and go about 100 miles, then U-turn it back. Using the conservative methods you have been using...... You can run the AC (I've gotten a high of 48.9mpg with mine on). Check your tyres pressure(located on sticker in driver door jam).

I get about 33 mix H/C, low 28 city only. Mix with more road miles about 36-40 mpg.

The people that test cars for EPA aren't going to use LA for a test zone, more like a town with 30k population with min. traffic lights. I live in a small town. If you get 36 to 40+ after your trip, you're good to go.

Your mileage should improve after putting some miles on the car. City driving in LA is also not going to help matters. I'm sure you're sitting at a lot of lights, or stuck in a lot of traffic in that area.

Thanks for your replies guys! The car has about 500 miles on it now and most of my driving has been stop and go on major roads where the speed limit is about 35-40mph, as well as some stop signs. I've taken it out on the freeway for short distances a couple of times and have managed to get about 31MPG, but I'm just surprised that the MPG was so low driving around the city without being in any major traffic.

My car actually came from the dealer with overinflated tires (measured them at 39-40PSI, so I reduced them down to 33PSI), so the MPG has gone down a bit even more now that I've fixed that. I was just surprised to not find anyone else with the fuel economy I have (I'm sure there are at least a handful of people using fuelly in major metropolitan areas that can become congested), which led me to think something might be wrong - coupled with the fact that I've been driving as smoothly as possible, always looking at the instant MPG readout and coasting to stops/lights to avoid excessive braking.

So it sounds like this might be normal though to get ~22-25MPG if I spend ~1-2 minutes idling at a couple of traffic lights, mixed with driving about 35-40mph? I'll also be going on a 400 mile trip in September, so will check to see how the MPG is on that trip

20150701_155141.jpg

I'm new but I will drop in my 2 cents. Tire pressure, quality fuel (best mileage non-ethanol), driving style all play into my mileage. I have a 2012 ex sedan automatic, under 20k miles on it. I averaged 39 miles to the gallon on my last trip and city/hwy usually 32 with a/c blasting in the southern heat. Also, the little idle time your quoting, shouldn't lower your mileage to 22 mpg.

Run your car by the dealer, it's under warranty so make them run diagnostics on the car.

Last edited:
I've got a 2015 ex with about 300 miles on it. I've been able to average 33-34 mpg city/highway. I use the same conservative methods you spoke about (no a/c, coasting as often as possible, smooth driving vs mashing the gas) and I've had no problems. I also live in Colorado Springs, so the terrain is hardly flat. could be helpin on long downhills. I would definitely take your car in and have Honda check it out while it's still under warranty.

Back