VTEC pop

eric.schwartz.

Hi everyone, so I've got a 2014 Civic Si my baby of course I love it to death. My one question with the new i-vtec engine vs the old VTEC engine ... For example with the old K 20 z3 RSX Type S / older Civic Si and I-VTEC text k24 engine blocks, why is it that when you hit 5300 rpm and they need me to get over here the VTEC crossover or pop? I mean the power is out of the engine is great hun its fast as hell but I'm just curious about that? If anyone could provide me feedback I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Are you asking why you don't hear the big vtec crossover like the earlier k20's etc? If so, look at the 8th gen dyno from hondata.

image.jpg

Look at the massive spike. The 9th gen doesn't have that. The 8th gen didn't have an integrated exhaust header into the head, and it also had vtec cam lobes on the intake and exhaust side. The 9th doesn't.

Not sure about other intakes, but it is noticeable with a 3.5" PRL SRI.

What is this? Lol I've never heard of it before?

prl2012_1.sized.jpg

Larger displacement offers better torque down in the lower rpm range, which offers a better daily driving experience. Less of a need to wind the gear way out to get higher hp/torque. More power is available at lower rpm.

So you're saying, is with this and take on the new 2014 Civic Si, you hear the VTEC pop so to speak more so?

There is definitely a noticeable changeover and a mean growl to it (it tends to drown out my Full-Race Downpipe and exhaust). That being said, this intake requires FlashPro and a tune.

There is definitely a noticeable changeover and a mean growl to it (it tends to drown out my Full-Race Downpipe and exhaust). That being said, this intake requires FlashPro and a tune.
Well let me ask you a question, cuz I'm interested in the same take because it's cheaper and they would say it's better than a K&N intake. What happens if I buy this intake and don't get it a tune because it is expensive and just like I said before, not going to be stubborn about it but I'm not paying for a professional tune on my car.

The car will not run. It will turn over of course, but you will not be able to drive it.
Why wont my not be able to drive it? I guess what I'm saying is I'm still heavily leaning on the Canon typhoon intake. It seems decent for the price tag I just didn't want to spend to $300 on the intake, but it is what it is. I'm not professionally tuning my car. I don't professionally race to the most I would ever do with my so I guess I, is going to the track and do an autocross course. I just love racing aggressive style on the road. Just like we all do.

Why wont my not be able to drive it? I guess what I'm saying is I'm still heavily leaning on the Canon typhoon intake. It seems decent for the price tag I just didn't want to spend to $300 on the intake, but it is what it is. I'm not professionally tuning my car. I don't professionally race to the most I would ever do with my so I guess I, is going to the track and do an autocross course. I just love racing aggressive style on the road. Just like we all do.
It's a 3.5" intake so you'll need to tune it since anything bigger than 3" without a tune will not run right, or at all.

It's a 3.5" intake so you'll need to tune it since anything bigger than 3" without a tune will not run right, or at all.
I got you. Didn't realize that the diameter of the intake tube was larger than 3 inches. Well compared to stock OEM intake from Honda, I'm sure I'll notice something with the K&N intake typhoon. Thank you for nicely explaining things. I really appreciate it.

I got you. Didn't realize that the diameter of the intake tube was larger than 3 inches. Well compared to stock OEM intake from Honda, I'm sure I'll notice something with the K&N intake typhoon. Thank you for nicely explaining things. I really appreciate it.
Unless you get a 3.5" intake, you will not see gains over stock from any other intake...and possibly a loss in power. I believe the K&N is one that results in a loss of power.

Unless you get a 3.5" intake, you will not see gains over stock from any other intake...and possibly a loss in power. I believe the K&N is one that results in a loss of power.
Well how large is the diameter of the stock intake tubing? 3 inches? I mean if the Intel you talking about didn't need a tool I would definitely buy it but its only like $600 and even if I can afford it and I have money I'm not tuning my car. I'm not professionally racing it.

Are there any other 3.5 inch short ram intakes on the market that don't require a tune? Lol

The brand is not the issue. The intake size is.

Well how large is the diameter of the stock intake tubing? 3 inches? I mean if the Intel you talking about didn't need a tool I would definitely buy it but its only like $600 and even if I can afford it and I have money I'm not tuning my car. I'm not professionally racing it.

I am not sure how big the stock tube is.

Honestly, with a downpipe and a tune, the driveability of this car increases dramatically regardless of if you want to race it or not. The car even benefits from getting retuned by Vit without any mods...more power and better driveability. An intake really isn't necessary as it will only get you a few horses.

Back