washer spray does not work

paulga

the windshield washer system hasn't been used for over a month. two days ago there was rain with little snow so I need wipe the glass. but the washer system did not work as expected. water did not spray, only the wiper worked. There was no "washer level indicator" message on dashboard/iMid. What's probably going wrong? I guess something clogged the tube or something. but where is the hole water is coming out of?
Thanks a lot.

Do you hear the windshield washer motor running?

Could be water in the line that is frozen. Lift your hood and look at the plastic line that runs to the sprayer nozzles. Also, make sure they are connected. You could also have a frozen nozzle. You could take a hair dryer or whatever to it to melt it and run your sprayer.

Could be water in the line that is frozen. Lift your hood and look at the plastic line that runs to the sprayer nozzles. Also, make sure they are connected. You could also have a frozen nozzle. You could take a hair dryer or whatever to it to melt it and run your sprayer.

No, it's not that cold. when the weather changed abruptly, people were still wearing summer shorts. I'm looking for the nozzle where water is let out and check for clog.

No, it's not that cold. when the weather changed abruptly, people were still wearing summer shorts. I'm looking for the nozzle where water is let out and check for clog.

The nozzles are on the cowl, below the wipers.

if you don't use them for a while, the water can dry out of the lines and it can take a few seconds before water actually hits the nozzles. if you hold it down for like 4-5 seconds and no water comes out, then i'd look into other issues

and make sure there is fluid in the reservoir :hiding:
I have not checked the reservoir. If the water is used up, an indicator/warning message should show up on iMid, right? since I have not seen any such warnings, I doubt the line is clogged.

I'm not 100% sure but didn't I read somewhere that certain Si's didn't have the low fluid warning light? Maybe another US/Canada thing?

I'd suggest popping the hood to see if there's anything in there.

have you checked to see if it was just low, or if there is another problem?

not yet. I'm going to check it this weekend when I go to grocery. I use my car once a week for grocery.
if the reservoir is empty I'll buy a bottle to fill up.

one update: the reservoir was not deplete because the jets do not spray even after topping up the reservoir. then I was able to use a string to dredge the jet openings two weeks ago. the jets worked after several poking back and forth.

one update: the reservoir was not deplete because the jets do not spray even after topping up the reservoir. then I was able to use a string to dredge the jet openings two weeks ago. the jets worked after several poking back and forth.
I'm just thinking out loud.......... Can you remember dressing the area(wax/detailer/etc.) and possibly getting that crap in the holes?
Just something for all of us to watch in the future.

I'm just thinking out loud.......... Can you remember dressing the area(wax/detailer/etc.) and possibly getting that crap in the holes?
Just something for all of us to watch in the future.
I'm not trying to be dramatic... thanks for posting. isn't this section of forum for this type of general questions? I didn't find another more specific section.
but really I already forgot the detailing task I had to deal with. it was probably half a year ago when I got a new car.
as I am not one of those who take great care to do persistent maintainence,, leather detailing is a job once-and-for-all.

So heres the list to diagnose your problem in order.

1. Listen is there is fluid pump noise by listening
2. Check fluids by plastic cap indicator and bottle
3. Check spray outlets for any clogging
4. Check fluid lines by unplugging them and flushing them.

if none of these were your problem than your pump is not connected to windshield washer system. Anything beyond that I would consult a mechanic. Also, correct me if im wrong but I thought most US cars dont have Washer fluid indicators

I'm not trying to be dramatic... thanks for posting. isn't this section of forum for this type of general questions? I didn't find another more specific section.
but really I already forgot the detailing task I had to deal with. it was probably half a year ago when I got a new car.
as I am not one of those who take great care to do persistent maintainence,, leather detailing is a job once-and-for-all.
Looks like a good enough section to post this to me.... I've never had a washer clog up, there's only two ways that I can think of that might have caused yours to clog and that would have been packing something in/over the holes, OR, something nasty was in the wash solution that may have dried into a hard substance............ Glad you got it working.

So heres the list to diagnose your problem in order.

1. Listen is there is fluid pump noise by listening
2. Check fluids by plastic cap indicator and bottle
3. Check spray outlets for any clogging
4. Check fluid lines by unplugging them and flushing them.

if none of these were your problem than your pump is not connected to windshield washer system. Anything beyond that I would consult a mechanic. Also, correct me if im wrong but I thought most US cars dont have Washer fluid indicators

Thanks so much for reading this thread and outlining the steps.. the problem is already clear by unclogging the spray outlets.

Back