Whats everyones thoughts on smog?

Javier Chavez

Santa Rosa CA
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Sedan
Im from California and smog checks and having performance parts not CARB approved could cause you a big head ache. The day will come when we will have to smog our Civic's and its going to be difficult with all the parts I plan on adding to my car. Ive even had friends who have gotten pulled over and been inspected on the side of the road for loud exhuast and non CARB upgrades.

I'm from California and smog checks and having performance parts not CARB approved could cause you a big head ache. The day will come when we will have to smog our Civics and its going to be difficult with all the parts I plan on adding to my car. Ive even had friends who have gotten pulled over and been inspected on the side of the road for loud exhaust and non CARB upgrades.
Like any law/rule, it generally comes about from ppl that misused/over-did the existing standard, we only have ourselves to blame........ As far as trying to mod the car for louder or more performance, the manufactures have pretty much done a good job to work within the the scope of our laws(Calf excepted).

there are plenty of people who hang onto their oem parts and put them back on prior to having to smog check. Then revert back to aftermarket stuff right after.

My personal opinion is we aren't doing as much damage to the planet as we think we are. We don't have that much power. The planet goes through cycles (ice age anyone?). I think we give ourselves too much credit. I also think people need to relax a little on the whole ozone and greenhouse stuff.

there are plenty of people who hang onto their oem parts and put them back on prior to having to smog check. Then revert back to aftermarket stuff right after.
When I had my Jeep, I had some Piaa 80w fog lights wired to be activated independently from my other lights, which is not legal in Va., But if I cover them when taking them in for the safety inspection that's excepted.
Back to the reason that law was made, because someone didn't turn theirs off coming in sight of others.

My personal opinion is we aren't doing as much damage to the planet as we think we are. We don't have that much power. The planet goes through cycles (ice age anyone?). I think we give ourselves too much credit. I also think people need to relax a little on the whole ozone and greenhouse stuff.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but am not a climate expert, which they seem to disagree with each other as well.

That is one way of doing it but is could get out of hand depending on how many mods you've done to your car.

IMO most of the mods we do make our car run more efficent which mean less emisson. its just that in california CARB makes after market companies to pay them for the right to be called "Smog Legal". They are a big scam!

I'm inclined to agree with you, but am not a climate expert, which they seem to disagree with each other as well.
The weather occupation is the only one you can never be right in and still keep your job :D

When I had my Jeep, I had some Piaa 80w fog lights wired to be activated independently from my other lights, which is not legal in Va., But if I cover them when taking them in for the safety inspection that's excepted.
Back to the reason that law was made, because someone didn't turn theirs off coming in sight of others.
When I lived in Virginia, you could stick your hand out the window in the inspection station and give right/left signs instead of having lights. For a horn, all you needed was a bicycle-type bulb horn on the exterior of the car. May still be that way, I dunno. But it worked for me on my barely street legal dirt bikes.

I don't see Californians marching on Beijing, Mumbai, Moscow, etc. Remember trying to see the Beijing games through the smog? and they couldn't hold the rowing events because of the polluted waterways?

We in the US can be proud that we have cleaned up our nation. It did used to be pretty bad in places, but now we're largely past that. Go after the real polluters. They're elsewhere now. Hell, just go across the southern border and look at the air quality.

I don't see Californians marching on Beijing, Mumbai, Moscow, etc. Remember trying to see the Beijing games through the smog? and they couldn't hold the rowing events because of the polluted waterways?

We in the US can be proud that we have cleaned up our nation. It did used to be pretty bad in places, but now we're largely past that. Go after the real polluters. They're elsewhere now. Hell, just go across the southern border and look at the air quality.

This is actually in the news today, in Beijing the smog is insanely bad, that's smog not fog as one could think by mistake...

smog-beijing.jpeg

I will say this, my wifes family is from Mexico and when we go visit the air there is a lot cleaner than ours. Still its not bad here either. I had no idea Beijing was that bad.

I will say this, my wifes family is from Mexico and when we go visit the air there is a lot cleaner than ours. Still its not bad here either. I had no idea Beijing was that bad.
Thanks for correcting me then. I thought it was still pretty bad in some of the cities with thermal inversions. I'm glad it's not bad, because Mexico is a naturally beautiful country.

oops. just went to wikipedia and looked under smog. not so good for mexico city . . . sorry. it's trapped in a thermal inversion.

Mexico City, Mexico

Situated in a valley, and relying heavily on automobiles, Mexico City often suffers from poor air quality.
Due to its location in a highland "bowl", cold air sinks down onto the urban area of Mexico City, trapping industrial and vehicle pollution underneath, and turning it into the most infamously smog-plagued city of Latin America. Within one generation, the city has changed from being known for some of the cleanest air of the world into one with some of the worst pollution, with pollutants like nitrogen dioxide being double or even triple international standards.[14

From what I've read in the past, CA is a whole different story with them actually looking for CARB certifications on aftermarket parts. I do recall some users on 8th talking about being pulled over by police, and then ticketed for parts.

oops. just went to wikipedia and looked under smog. not so good for mexico city . . . sorry. it's trapped in a thermal inversion.

Mexico City, Mexico

Situated in a valley, and relying heavily on automobiles, Mexico City often suffers from poor air quality.
Due to its location in a highland "bowl", cold air sinks down onto the urban area of Mexico City, trapping industrial and vehicle pollution underneath, and turning it into the most infamously smog-plagued city of Latin America. Within one generation, the city has changed from being known for some of the cleanest air of the world into one with some of the worst pollution, with pollutants like nitrogen dioxide being double or even triple international standards.[14
Hmm, where we go is called tarandaquo (i think). There the air os clean and its actually a pretty place.

this article is from today - dealing with air issues throughout China -
===
For the fourth straight day, health authorities in multiple Chinese cities advised residents to stay indoors Monday, as a blanket of smog continued to choke much of China after recording "beyond index" levels this weekend at air quality monitoring stations run by the government and one run by the U.S. Embassy in Beijing.

The capital and 32 other cities suffered "hazardous" air this weekend, local media reported, swelling hospitals with patients reporting respiratory and heart problems. Face masks sold quickly at pharmacies, and some airports and highways suffered delays and closures amid greatly reduced visibility.

pics of the condition -
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/14/china-pollution/1833257/

Back