Whats everyones thoughts on smog?

Hmm, where we go is called tarandaquo (i think). There the air os clean and its actually a pretty place.

I'm sure it is beautiful. But places like Mexico City and Los Angeles trap smog b/c of mountains around the city. It can't escape. That's all I meant. I'm not slamming all of Mexico by any means. But I'd be surprised if they use CARB standards there that we in NJ and CA have to abide by. Thus, the smog.

You live in NJ? I got mine inspected in Lodi.

I'm sure it is beautiful. But places like Mexico City and Los Angeles trap smog b/c of mountains around the city. It can't escape. That's all I meant. I'm not slamming all of Mexico by any means. But I'd be surprised if they use CARB standards there that we in NJ and CA have to abide by. Thus, the smog.
I didn't take you as slamming Mexico. But now that I think of it we went to Mexico city once and it was less than clean. Not terrible but not great either like taranda was. Must suck to live in places like that (we all have to breathe) but kinda glad the mountains keep it out of my neck of the woods.

It's also pretty sad how noone can see sunlight in Hong Kong or the industrial parts of China.

Yeah. I retract my previous statement then about us not causing as much as we think we do. Can't believe its that bad in some places. I would like to add that right about now I'm very grateful there are no emissions testing bs here lol.

You live in NJ? I got mine inspected in Lodi.
Yup. Got my son's car inspected in Mt. Holly when he had the flu in December. It's a 2001 Plymouth Neon. Never checked the blinkers, lights, horn, wipers, no skid pad for brakes, no tire wear check. The only thing they were interested in was the emissions. Amazingly, it passed with 123,000 miles, orig. plugs, etc. How about that . . .

Mt. Holly is far from the Lodi MVC.

Mt. Holly is far from the Lodi MVC.
My concern that day was about his suspension, because all four struts were toast. The rears made all sorts of racket. When I was told to stop the car just short of the suspension shaker and the skid pad, someone said to get out and move to the passenger seat. Who got in the driver's side? A 375 lb (no joke), 5'9" woman . . . she was large . . . this was an ageing neon . . . skid pad ahead. And she was nimble . . . even light on her feet for that size . . . just flopped down in the car and then jumped back out like nothin' . . . wierd day that was.

One thing the news mention to fail is how it is to breath that. Never been to places that bad but other big cities in Eastern Europe or Asia with a small fraction of what Beijing has you have a constant sore nose sensation, similar to a sore throat except is mostly the nose and back of the mouth. When you blow your nose your boogers are black... Not pleasant, maybe I was a visitor and was not toughened up like the locals but I am sure they feel it too.
There is also a ton of cars on the road that you can barely see through the smoke they make. Clean cars are available, just that not all people afford to get them. Gas/Diesel is not as clean either at all pumps. And the worst are actually the big trucks, delivery trucks or "workhorse" cars.

We have it good here in North America and i think it has to do with the laws being enforced. At the same time I am sure some performance parts can be allowed, maybe one should pay a bit more for that, again with some limits. I love cars and raw exhausts but I do not want everybody to drive them :) As I type I remember the sore throat polluted air gives you and it is not fun.

And to be honest unmaintained cars are the worst, burning oil or improperly burning gas, not the random relatively rare performance exhaust car.

Classic cars are allowed on the road even if they do not pass emission testing, not sure about California, and I am sure there is an extra cost involved in that. So solutions exist and I bet not everybody will pay so it can work out.

And one huge thing few people mention is that pollution is usually industrial, commercial transport and not so much avergae joes going to work. Same like Earth Day when people turn off lights in the city "for show" or awareness, but in the end industrial consumption and industrial pollution is the one driving this, yet nobody drives awareness programs on that for some reason. And industrial also means the huge manufacturing beast that is China.

I am passionate about cars and I always get annoyed when cars are portrayed as the evil of pollution when in reality it is way more than just cars. Buying stuff made in China may be more polluting than going to work in our 2.4 "gas guzzlers" :) Personally i try to buy local products even if a bit pricier, it also gives jobs to people around me which is good since I am one of them, even if an "import" so to speak.

Sorry for the long rant, somehow I typed too much, I do not mean to preach or convince anybody, I am not sure myself what the solution is for all this :)

So other than injen are there any other carb legal intakes? I wish the greddy or takeda intakes were legal :(

Last edited:
So other than injen are there any other carb legal intakes? I wish the greddy or takeda intakes were legal :(
takeda's site -
==
Air intake systems do alter the stock intake tract and therefore, requires an exemption from CARB emission requirements. As a California based company aFe submits our intake systems to CARB for exemption so that the intake system can be used legally on the street. However, obtaining CARB exemption takes time and not all aFe intake systems are exempt. Many aFe intakes have CARB EO numbers making them 50-state legal. All products that have received a CARB EO number are clearly marked on the product landing page.

When an aFe intake system is not exempt, they would be legal only in racing situations and not for street use in the 13 states that have adopted California emission standards. Contact our customer service dept @ 877-512-8111 to find out if a particular intake system is CARB exempt or not or check your local or state regulations.
==

I just passed an emissions test here in Idaho in my 1999 Ford F350 with the 7.3L Diesel. No cat and a CAI. It measured 8.0ppm in the snap test. He didn't even get under and look for the cat or pop the hood. I watched him mark them off as there. After the test I asked what the numbers would of looked like if I didn't have a cat. He said that there was no way I would have passed. I proceeded to walk away. 2 years ago when it was tested, it was a .1, yes POINT ONE. They allow up to 40ppm. The truck has 189,000 miles on it.

Back