What's your opinion on Extended Warranty, Paint Protection and Rust Protection for the 2012 Civic?

Voltex

Hey guys!

My parents just bought a 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan (5AT) in Taffeta White. They came home and told me today that they got the Extended Warranty, Paint Protection and Rust Protection, and I'm just like WTF, you fell for the typical dealership scam. Thinking about it though, should they actually follow through and buy all 3, or should they cancel it?

Extended Warranty --> Now that I think about it, it might be a good idea since they plan on keeping the car until it pretty much falls apart. I'm still undecided on whether or not they should buy it though, since they bought it for $2000.....

Rust Protection --> They said this was a lifetime protection, and they would fix any rust free of charge. I personally think the rust protection should stay. What do you think?

Paint Protection --> The dealership claims that the paint protection coats a thin layer of "stuff" (yes, they said "stuff") on top of the existing paint to somehow protect it. They also claimed that the paint protection was a step before the rust protection, and that they somehow need to be purchased together. I call bullshit on this one.

They bought the car for the OTD price of $20,300, but with the Extended Warranty, Rust Protection and Paint Protection, it came back at an astounding $23,600. Should my parents buy all 3 with the car, or did they just get scammed by the stealership?

I bought an extended warranty for mine (went from 3 year/60000km to a 5 year/120000km) as I typically keep my cars for about 5 years anyways. But mine was only about $800. Did they go with the 7 year warranty?

paint protection is just paint sealant. you can buy a bottle of some really good sealant for like $30. it lasts much longer than wax, but you can still buy a bottle of good sealant for like $20-30.

the extended warranty isn't a bad idea if they went with the 7-8 year option. if they plan on keeping the car forever like you said, it'll pay for itself if anything major like the A/C or the transmission goes out. Those alone can usually be much more to fix out of warranty than the cost of the warranty itself

Paint protection is definately bullshit, Just get a 3m Clear Bra.

Thanks for the suggestion! Can the 3M Clear Bra be installed by any average joe, or does it usually have to be install by a professional?

I bought an extended warranty for mine (went from 3 year/60000km to a 5 year/120000km) as I typically keep my cars for about 5 years anyways. But mine was only about $800. Did they go with the 7 year warranty?

Yea, they got the 7 year warranty.

paint protection is just paint sealant. you can buy a bottle of some really good sealant for like $30. it lasts much longer than wax, but you can still buy a bottle of good sealant for like $20-30.

the extended warranty isn't a bad idea if they went with the 7-8 year option. if they plan on keeping the car forever like you said, it'll pay for itself if anything major like the A/C or the transmission goes out. Those alone can usually be much more to fix out of warranty than the cost of the warranty itself

Ahh mkay. The sealant shouldn't interfere with the rustproofing right? I can apply the sealant before and after the car or whenever I like?

Ahh mkay. The sealant shouldn't interfere with the rustproofing right? I can apply the sealant before and after the car or whenever I like?

yeah you can apply sealant at any time. usually 1-2 times per year is enough

Neg on extended warranty. We have 5 hondas
01 accord with 202,000 - run on conventional oil from the start.
05 accord - 145,000
04/5? element - 171,000
08 civic - 56,000
09 civic - 55,000

Anything that was covered under warranty far outlasted the first 120,000 miles on all of the cars. You just HAVE to do all the maintenance, on time, and don't balk at the cost, do all the higher mileage ones that are like $800. If you do them all, your honda will last you forever.

Neg on extended warranty. We have 5 hondas
01 accord with 202,000 - run on conventional oil from the start.
05 accord - 145,000
04/5? element - 171,000
08 civic - 56,000
09 civic - 55,000

Anything that was covered under warranty far outlasted the first 120,000 miles on all of the cars. You just HAVE to do all the maintenance, on time, and don't balk at the cost, do all the higher mileage ones that are like $800. If you do them all, your honda will last you forever.

:yeahthat:

great advice. I've never had issues with any of our hondas either, but here on Maui at the Honda dealership (where I sell cars), we get a ton of people buy the extended warranties. the biggest thing i see is tranny failures. I think because with the super high cost of living, a lot of people try to skimp on everything and service their cars outside or themselves. Typically, while they keep up with oil changes, they neglect everything else until they start to see problems.

Nothing is perfect, and as with anything mass produced, there's always a chance that you'll have a bad batch. lately for example, with Honda trying to crank out cars as fast as possible to aid their recovery, I'm seeing more paint issues getting past their quality control, but that's pretty minor. Like Nix said, if you do ALL the recommended maintenance, more often that not, your Honda will outlast even the longest warranty.

Out of all 3 I would say keep the extended warranty, but I did not get any of them on my car and I am at 120K and the only issues I have had are replaced the half shafts at 100k and the clutch at 120k, but I don't think your parents will be hard on a car like me...

Negative on warranty, paint protection, and rust proofing. The last two are gimmick sales. As others said, I've never needed the extended warranty on any I'd my cars ever. Just keep up with the maintenance of the car.

I can't believe what they will try to sell to their customers. It's not for me but if it makes somebody feel better then I'm cool with that.

What really gets me going is the scare tactics they use when trying to sell their product. I understand sales and the concept of fear but my finance person said my car would fall apart and it would cost me thousands to repair. I had to say no thank you to product 8-10 times and she still persisted. For this reason when Honda calls for their survey I will not be giving them 5 stars.

I can't believe what they will try to sell to their customers. It's not for me but if it makes somebody feel better then I'm cool with that.

What really gets me going is the scare tactics they use when trying to sell their product. I understand sales and the concept of fear but my finance person said my car would fall apart and it would cost me thousands to repair. I had to say no thank you to product 8-10 times and she still persisted. For this reason when Honda calls for their survey I will not be giving them 5 stars.

I would have walked out if they asked more than four times.

I think the extended warranty may be a good idea on some other car manufactures, but only if the price was negotiated down quite a bit. On a Honda/Toyota I don't feel it's necessary as long as you maintain the car properly.

Having worked for a company that sold and applied those new car care packages to dealers I can say they are a waste of money for the most part, especially the paint sealant package, which usually require a reapplication every 6 months to keep the warranty valid.

Here is a thread with some good info on rust proofing provided by Ron Ketcham, who has been in the industry for a long time and he provides some solid advice. :thumb:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/138867-rust-potency-indoor-vs-outdoor-salted-winters.html

As far as the paint sealants go, technology has come a long way in the last few years and there are "coatings" on the market now which are in fact permanent, though I don't know if dealerships are applying them yet. Save yourself the money and do it yourself or have a reputable detailer do it.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-optimum-opti-coat-2-0/

Rasky

Quite honestly if I had the extra $$ and it wasn't a problem i probably would go for the extended warranty "just in case" and it would make me feel better. That said we've never had the extra and big thanks to Honda, haven't needed it.

I found this on Consumer Reports website:

Most people don't buy a new car without hearing the dealership finance manager warn about "how foolish it would be" not to protect your investment from unexpected repairs as you put on the miles. What comes next is a persistent sales pitch for a solution to your new fears: an extended warranty. "You could save the amount of the plan cost with just one covered repair!" says a brochure for Ford's Extended Service Plan.

But extended warranties sell costly "peace of mind" for repair nightmares that probably won't occur, according to a survey of more than 8,000 readers in December 2007 by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. We have long advised that extended warranties are a poor deal for almost every product. Now we have the first data showing that this advice applies to most new cars as well.

warrantiespr_crop.jpg
The survey included buyers of extended warranties for cars in the 2001 and 2002 model years. That allowed sufficient time for the factory warranties to expire, as well as several years of extended coverage. The chart on Costly contracts lists results for makes for which we have sufficient data; note that models within a make may vary. Some owners in the survey might have had coverage remaining, but our analysis shows that the need for serious repairs is uncommon.

The main reason is that automobiles today are more reliable than ever. "The odds are that what's covered won't fail," says Terry Wynter, who owns Terry Wynter Auto Service Center in Fort Myers, Fla., and is helping to write an extended-warranty guide for the Automotive Service Association (ASA). The sellers of extended warranties know what parts tend to break within the coverage time and mileage, so buyers are betting against the house.

In fact, that's a lesson many people already know. About 75 percent of all respondents in our initial screening did not buy extended warranties, with more than two-thirds saying they didn't think it was a good value for their money.

The best course of action for most consumers is to buy a car that gets top reliability scores in our Vehicle Ratings (accessed by pulldown menus on major pages within the Cars area or through our interactive New Car Selector, available to subscribers), and you probably won't need an extended warranty. But if your heart is set on a car with a below-average reliability record, it's more of a toss-up. You can decide for yourself how much "peace of mind" is worth. For example, the highest usage claims were for Mercedes-Benz, for which we have no recommended models due to below-average reliability. But only 38 percent of those owners said they saved money with the extended warranty; the average loss was $100.

The experience of our readers who bought extended warranties and a closer examination of how they work (available to subscribers) show why the odds are stacked against you.

Just months after the 5yr ownership mark I had an air conditioner go (did not have the extended warranty). It's been the only issue on like 200k+ miles.

My wifes '05 RL has had several expensive issues that would have more than paid for an extended warranty. Luckily she got them cover under the "good faith warranty" since it was a known problem. ;)

It's a crap shoot really, but over all I agree it's not worth it.

My wifes '05 RL has had several expensive issues that would have more than paid for an extended warranty. Luckily she got them cover under the "good faith warranty" since it was a known problem. ;)

It's a crap shoot really, but over all I agree it's not worth it.

:yeahthat:

you really never know if and when something might break. the warranty is all personal preference. just like life insurance, medical insurance, etc., some people would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Back