What's your opinion on Extended Warranty, Paint Protection and Rust Protection for the 2012 Civic?

My opinion, take the money and invest it. If you ever need it use it for the repair. Other wise my answer is no and no.

it was $1700 for extended warranty up to 7 years/200k. My cell phone bill annually is 1/2 that.
Just like a previous person said, if you are financing its only several bux extra/month.

Quebec uses so much salt during the winter that rust is ever present. I also plan on keeping this car until it dies. I got the extended warranty and rust protection. It is nice to have peace of mind. I will get the car thoroughly inspected before the warranties expire and have everything fixed and A-okay. I also plan on pushing them to reapply the rust protection just before the guarantee expires. One thing that I already will be asking for when warranty is close to being finished is having the armrest recovered (the pattern in the material is almost worn off already) and May ask for the seats too if the same thing happens.

I refused to pay $600 for rust protection. Instead I went to Krown and got it done for $110
Ontario is same if not worst than Quebec when it comes to salting roads.
I may do the same with armrest. I got seat covers right away. Cant stand that grey and it gets dirty really fast.

I refused to pay $600 for rust protection. Instead I went to Krown and got it done for $110
I may do the same with armrest. I got seat covers right away. Cant stand that grey and it gets dirty really fast.
Which seat covers did you go with?

You'll find over time that Krown will cause the rubber seals, especially the door seals to swell - not covered under warranty. Seat covers are a bad idea as they will cause the side airbags to deploy improperly. You'll also find that seat covers and upholstery are not covered under extended warranty.

You'll find over time that Krown will cause the rubber seals, especially the door seals to swell - not covered under warranty. Seat covers are a bad idea as they will cause the side airbags to deploy improperly. You'll also find that seat covers and upholstery are not covered under extended warranty.
Ya, true about the covers screwing up air bags.
Upholstery is not covered?!!! Good to know. I will need to ask to have mine replaced sooner.

Last edited:
So I think I'll stop going annually, if someone can prove it otherwise.
Re: Airbags in the seats, The seat covers I got are made specifically for the seats with airbags. Mind you they are one-size fits all, so potentially there could be an issue with deployment as they may not fit properly. I did not expect my crappy tire seat covers to have any other warranty other than what comes with the product

is there a time frame where you can cancel the extended warranty after purchasing it, or is that even possible?

I had a 2003 Civic (still in family 250K km). The only place it has rust is was in the door sill where it was drilled for rust protection. Spot is about the size of a nickel.

About 6 months before I purchased the Civic, my sister bought a Mazda MPV. Rust buckets - especially the rear wheel wells. Common on a lot of Mazdas.

I live in Waterloo ON.

Last edited:
Back