Why you don't use Fram Oil Filters...

Ian Robertson

Austin, TX
UAocC.jpg

Always use OEM boys and girls hahaha

There was a thread on here that compares all aftermarket oil filters. Fram turned out to be the worse, I believe.

I used them on my 8th a couple times.....:shhhh:

I used it once, but then I stopped and used the oem filters. Now I'm using Mobil1.

There is a LOT more to oil filters design than their internal appearance. The engineers know what micron size of dirt is a problem and what size isn't. A shot gun "super micron" filtration isn't the answer. You want to only filter out the size particles that would damage the engine. Anything more, you reduce oil flow and make the oil pump work harder. Also these super micron filters clog much sooner with "safe" dirt and then are forced to open the bypass valve, which means totally unfiltered oil is circulating through the engine. You have no way to know any of this is happening. Unless you are willing to study the engine, determine what micro size of dirt needs to be removed and then test the filter paper in your choice of aftermarket filter to see what micron size it does stop, you are gambling with the life of your engine. And the reason you would gamble a multi thousand dollar engine to not use an OEM filter is to save $2-3 every 5,000 miles?

Dayum.... stephey is a beast on here.... I wonder what the instant oil change place has been using on mine.......

Dayum.... stephey is a beast on here.... I wonder what the instant oil change place has been using on mine.......

Instant? Like the local oil change only? Really shitty stuff. Hell, I got an oil change at Firestone once and the filter was literally half the height of any filter I ever used on the 8th. I was shocked especially with the $65 fee for the oil change. I always got the Mobil 1 filter with the oil change special bundle price thing the local car port stores always had going on. Basically 3-4 oil changes were done with non Mobil 1 filter on the 8th.

lol....I see what you did thurr.

Get dirty and do your own changes.

I only have my car serviced at Honda and obviously only use OEM on my car. I have only the head mechanic work on my car also except for oil changes so I guess he won't be doin anything for awhile LOL
I'm a firm believer in using OEM parts on your vehicle (except for hop ups obvi) and servicing the vehicle at a dealership as apposed to letting some backyard mechanic mess with it.

Reason why I use Mobil1 filters, I don't trust the 2 local dealerships near me and the one I bought my car from is over a hour drive away....

Ah I saw this on Reddit not too long ago. I never used Fram but K&N is one I'd never use again. The welding on top nut on the filter wasn't done well and it popped off and I wound up leaking oil everywhere.

15400-PLM-A01 is the stock filter number for the Si, and 15400-PLM-A02 is for the R18 engines. The filters are identical in size and interchangeable with no noticeable issues, they even fit a large majority of other Honda engines. I happen to have an A01 and A02 filter laying around but don't have a oil filter cutter otherwise I would compare the differences internally for everyone.

Reactions: Nix
Back