Can we expect i-DCD in the hybrid during the mid-cycle model refresh?

Internalaudit

Honda Previews i-DCD Dual Clutch Hybrid for Small Cars
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/honda/honda-hybrids-let-off-the-chain-35274

Was seriously writing off the Civic and was leaning more towards the Accord but then the hybrid version of the Civic came into mind. At around $24/25k, the premium over the EX model isn't too bad.

Can we expect the i-DCD in the mid-cycle model refresh for the Civic hybrid, hopefully in 2015? Wouldn't mind the 7 speed auto DCT to go along with that.

The 2012 Civic gets a decent 44/44 and if Honda says it can get 30% more fuel economy by adapting this technology, then we could see 50ish MPG for both city and highway driving:

2012 Civic hybrid from fueleconomy.gov:
Compare Side-by-Side

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be surprised to see them swap engines out before the next generation, but I could be wrong. Other articles have said: "Expect the new i-DCD system to arrive in cars like the next-generation Civic Hybrid, Insight and CR-Z, while it’s use could be extended further, perhaps even to the Fit, as was showcased at the R&D center."

Seeing as how they already changed the 2012 to the 2013, it's anyone's guess as to when they will remodel the civic. The last few generations had 3yrs of production followed by a "mid cycle refresh", followed by 2 more years of production. Then a new model was introduced. How that will play out now that the car was redesigned after just a year....no clue

I would be surprised to see them swap engines out before the next generation, but I could be wrong. Other articles have said: "Expect the new i-DCD system to arrive in cars like the next-generation Civic Hybrid, Insight and CR-Z, while it’s use could be extended further, perhaps even to the Fit, as was showcased at the R&D center."

Seeing as how they already changed the 2012 to the 2013, it's anyone's guess as to when they will remodel the civic. The last few generations had 3yrs of production followed by a "mid cycle refresh", followed by 2 more years of production. Then a new model was introduced. How that will play out now that the car was redesigned after just a year....no clue

Good point Webby. I actually never thought about how costly it would be to upgrade the transmission of the hybrid Civic at mid-cycle. Hoping my 02 Civic will last for a few years and I just might go with the 10th gen Civic Hybrid if it comes with the i-DCD.

There is nothing wrong with the 2013 Civic but we have a 11 Accord and the older Civic and with only two drivers in the household, it doesn't make sense to buy a third car unless for spectacular fuel economy, which I envision the new hybrid models to have. My Civic is close to worthless in terms of resale value/trade in value (so it's best to keep it while it's still running) and with the Accord, well it's more of my wife's daily driver.

With the Accord, we haven't experience many of the complaints other owners had mentioned. We only had a BRS (buzz, rattle, squeek) issue with the front passenger seat and the dealer had replaced part of the backrest. So it is a definite sign that it will also be a keeper.

Last edited:
unless there is something majorly wrong with your civic, 2002's are still bringing 6-7 grand around me. So, it's not worthless for trade.

unless there is something majorly wrong with your civic, 2002's are still bringing 6-7 grand around me. So, it's not worthless for trade.

I was quite surprised when I traded my '03 LX manual coupe (125k miles) in I got almost $3000. Lots of dings, dents (big one on the trunk lid), and scratches. Sun bleaching on the rear seats. I had just done the timing belt myself, though. I also had the parts for brakes, rotors, and header/cat, but had not installed them yet. Header/cat needed replaced as a weld broke. AC was out, but I omitted that bit of information...mainly because it was cold out and I hadn't thought of it.

i bought 13 civic hybrid. only reson i had this car less money than toyota prius. i only get 40mpg and this civic has less power ,need more gas.
i test drive PRIUS .run better. more power ,less gas but there's 4000k more than civic hybrid.i got my civic about 20000k.
prius was 26000k.

Back