Anyone Here "Refresh" or Restore Their Rims?

Maybe take pics so we can get a general consensus if it would be worth it or not?
I'll have to post pics, but I already own them . . . no turning back. I'd hate to hear "not worth it, throw 'em on craiglist for $100," not that anyone here would say that. :eek: Right now it's just a matter of how I approach the project.

I went to one of the 8th gen sites and there was a 49 page thread just on these wheels for the Si, and there is apparently an exact paint match (in spray can form) sold through Sherwin Williams automotive stores, and there's one not far from me. I think I can get away with cleaning and filling the lips and spraying them with primer and matching base coat, then steel-wooling the entire wheel to set it up for clear. Three coats of clear over the original clear should get it done.

I have the rims stacked up in the shed and its snowing, so here's all four rims, the pics having been sent to me by the seller. The first two are pretty nice, the last two . . .
Rim 11.JPGRim 22.JPGRim 33.JPGRim 44.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, I would say they aren't in terrible shape. If you know someone with a lathe they could take a light cut off of the lip, easing the amount of work you would need to fill them.

Yes, I would say they aren't in terrible shape. If you know someone with a lathe they could take a light cut off of the lip, easing the amount of work you would need to fill them.
That's an interesting idea. I don't have one but know someone who does. Shaving that amount off wouldn't affect the integrity of th rim would it?

That's an interesting idea. I don't have one but know someone who does. Shaving that amount off wouldn't affect the integrity of th rim would it?

Just re-reading it I've answered my own question. Wheel is plenty strong.

Back