Types of Exhaust Systems

Sinub

Southern California
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I wanted to learn more about exhaust systems and hopefully some of you nice people can help me with that :) anyways I know how the exhaust system works but what I really wanted to know is about Cat back, Catless, and Axle back exhaust systems. I know cats are catalytic converters and axle has none and usually come with no gains(Correct me if I'm wrong). I want to know what are the pro's and con's to these systems, what kind of different things they do. An informational video would be appreciated too!

Also I heard cat back exhausts are bad for your catalytic converter due to high pressure build up or something like that, maybe it was the catless anyways yeaa

sbs.sized.jpg

aftermarket downpipe top with no catalytic converters / stock downpipe with 2 catalytic converters bottom.

sbs1.sized.jpg

inlet comparison / stock vs aftermarket above

axle back exhaust example below
zY3X0Ea.jpg

cat back exhaust below
DyjV4Lj.jpg

The best thing you could do is have hondata flashpro with a tune...and a downpipe & catback exhaust. That combo would yield the highest numbers. The axle back would yield the least results.

To continue Webby... People have been running cat-back systems on there cars for 100k plus miles with a stock catalytic convertor and no problems..

Good cat-back with a tune would do wonders for any car...

So can cat-backs do damage to your car?

And also I heard some people saying there are no downpipes on naturally aspirated cars only turbo's and I have a friend who always tells me off for this so I'm not sure anymore if SOME naturally aspirated cars have them and if they can run them at all, and another question!! Is catted exhausts the same at cat-backs or different?

So can cat-backs do damage to your car?

And also I heard some people saying there are no downpipes on naturally aspirated cars only turbo's and I have a friend who always tells me off for this so I'm not sure anymore if SOME naturally aspirated cars have them and if they can run them at all, and another question!! Is catted exhausts the same at cat-backs or different?
Turbos are not N/A they are F/I. There are dp for the civic, pictures above.
Cat backs are midpipe resanator and axel back bolted to the cat. 1st picture webby posted has the two cats. the one closest to the bottom is the one you would bolt the cat back to.

Turbos are not N/A they are F/I. There are dp for the civic, pictures above.
Cat backs are midpipe resanator and axel back bolted to the cat. 1st picture webby posted has the two cats. the one closest to the bottom is the one you would bolt the cat back to.

So yes there is downpipes for naturally aspirated cars, sorry I made it sound like I was saying turbo's were n/a lol but I wanted to know why there was controversy on it, maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong people.

And I have a thing to say about my catback exhaust I currently have. I have a Tsudo and they joined ERZ and haven't heard good things about them. To be exact I have the K24 2dr coupe 70mm jdm slanted catback and it seems I have actually lost about 5hp(my estimate) and well this is embarrassing, I am running it with no gaskets, well at least the two two bolt gaskets, I didn't notice I didn't have it tell the last minute but I had already pretty much slapped the whole thing on already but I'm already getting the gaskets within the week hopefully. Could having no gaskets/leak be the cause to this minor loss of hp? Or is it just that Tsudo doesn't make to great of exhausts

So yes there is downpipes for naturally aspirated cars, sorry I made it sound like I was saying turbo's were n/a lol but I wanted to know why there was controversy on it, maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong people.

I have a Tsudo and they joined ERZ and haven't heard good things about them.
Like what?

So yes there is downpipes for naturally aspirated cars, sorry I made it sound like I was saying turbo's where n/a lol but I wanted to know why there was controversy on it, maybe I'm hanging out with the wrong people.

And I have a thing to say about my catback exhaust I currently have. I have a Tsudo and they joined ERZ and haven't heard good things about them. To be exact I have the K24 2dr coupe 70mm jdm slanted catback and it seems I have actually lost about 5hp(my estimate) and well this is embarrassingmost out o, I am running it with no gaskets, well at least the two two bolt gaskets, I didn't notice I didn't have it tell the last minute but I had already pretty much slapped the whole thing on already but I'm already getting the gaskets within the week hopefully. Could having no gaskets/leak be the cause to this minor loss of hp? Or is it just that Tsudo doesn't make to great of exhausts
I have the tsudo on mine and havnt had any problems. One thing to remember is most bolt ons in general usually improve power on the high end not low end, sometimes to the point on making it feel slower off the line. To truely get the real power out of your mods you need a flashpro and have your car tuned for the mods. Mine felt a little bogged down in the low end with the cat back and kn drop in filter until i put my p2r ported intake manifold runners on and it greatly helped the low end power. Cant wait toget my flashpro so i can really get the most out of my mods.

And I have a thing to say about my catback exhaust I currently have. I have a Tsudo and they joined ERZ and haven't heard good things about them. To be exact I have the K24 2dr coupe 70mm jdm slanted catback and it seems I have actually lost about 5hp(my estimate) and well this is embarrassing, I am running it with no gaskets, well at least the two two bolt gaskets, I didn't notice I didn't have it tell the last minute but I had already pretty much slapped the whole thing on already but I'm already getting the gaskets within the week hopefully. Could having no gaskets/leak be the cause to this minor loss of hp? Or is it just that Tsudo doesn't make to great of exhausts
Normally, NA cars don't have downpipes since the exhaust side of the head will have outlets connected to a header, or headers depending on the engine size. The 2012 Si's K24 engine is an exception with having a downpipe since the engine's head has an integrated header collector on the exhaust side which has only one outlet.

I have the tsudo on mine and havnt had any problems. One thing to remember is most bolt ons in general usually improve power on the high end not low end, sometimes to the point on making it feel slower off the line. To truely get the real power out of your mods you need a flashpro and have your car tuned for the mods. Mine felt a little bogged down in the low end with the cat back and kn drop in filter until i put my p2r ported intake manifold runners on and it greatly helped the low end power. Cant wait toget my flashpro so i can really get the most out of my mods.
For the 1st to 2nd shift when your gassing it and you got that chirp, did it decrease too when you got the exhaust? Because that's the only reason I noticed

It might be the gaskets, I have a Tsudo exhaust and got about 10-15whp from it.
I've heard good and bad things about the brand, but those saying bad things just think the brand is bad because the prices are cheap. I think it's a quality product.

Im at really high alltitude and my car wouldnt really bark 2nd here. The alltitude here kills my cars performace. Now with the im runners drop in filter and cat back i can. Like i said before the ported im runners with just the catback it did seem bogged down a bit and part of that was having the freeer flowing exahust but not having much air going into the motor. And the second part is the ecu is set up for the stock exahust. Until it is tuned and it knows that it has the better flowing exahust it cant make the most out of it and use it to make the power that it could.

It might be the gaskets, I have a Tsudo exhaust and got about 10-15whp from it.
I've heard good and bad things about the brand, but those saying bad things just think the brand is bad because the prices are cheap. I think it's a quality product.

The bad sayings too might be because they look like fartcans though they don't sound like them at all, other than the loss of hp I love the exhaust sounds really good.

I'm hoping it is the gaskets but I'll find out within the week.

For the 1st to 2nd shift when your gassing it and you got that chirp, did it decrease too when you got the exhaust? Because that's the only reason I noticed
I have a tsudo too and found no loss of power. I can still get 1st and 2nd. I too think its quality craftmanship.

Last edited:
Back